Advanced Key Nightmare...

Dmrqwq

Reaction score
So one of my advanced keys took a dunking in a puddle of water today... it was quickly recovered and having given it a good shake it worked ok- enough to get me home anyway. Being a “clever” man I decided I’d take the battery out and leave the key to dry out. A few hours in the warm living room and I stuck the battery back in. When putting the battery in the comfort lights on the car illuminate but none of the function buttons (lock / unlock) work.

Question is... is the key knackered after it’s dunking or having left the battery out for a few hours so I need to do something magical to repair?

If it is goosed- any idea on cost?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Take out key cover on your next insurance to avoid this in the future.

Helpful after the fact. I’m wondering if there is an issue with the key being out of battery for a protracted period which resets the programming or similar?

So one of my advanced keys took a dunking in a puddle of water today... it was quickly recovered and having given it a good shake it worked ok- enough to get me home anyway. Being a “clever” man I decided I’d take the battery out and leave the key to dry out. A few hours in the warm living room and I stuck the battery back in. When putting the battery in the comfort lights on the car illuminate but none of the function buttons (lock / unlock) work.

Question is... is the key knackered after it’s dunking or having left the battery out for a few hours so I need to do something magical to repair?

If it is goosed- any idea on cost?

Whoops, its easily done though, can't say for certain its beyond repair but can enlighten you on the replacement cost of a standard key as I was genius enough to lose one from our first B9.

If my memory serves me correctly the key itself was around £150+VAT and the reprogramming is £20+VAT per key (both new and old will need re-doing) so as near as makes no difference to £300 for a standard key, I'm guessing an advanced one will be more expensive.

Should you need to go down that route bear in mind that it's a special order via Audi parts dept and its tied to your chassis number (comes from Germany) think ours took a week or just over to arrive and you'll need to prove ownership of the car when placing your order, with V5c and driving licence etc. good luck.

Have you tried putting it over the pad in the arm rest.
Thats where you would put it if the battery is dead.
It may reset it. Worth a try.

Helpful after the fact. I’m wondering if there is an issue with the key being out of battery for a protracted period which resets the programming or similar?

I've previously had the battery removed from one of my spare keys for months and it didn't lose any of the programming. Maybe yours needs a rinse with clean water and thorough dry in a bag of rice or desiccant.

True. You will still have that key in the future though.

I would probably try the following in order (least aggressive first)

1) Try a brand new battery in fob
2) Hold the key against the advanced key area in the phone tray under the arms rest and try and start the car.
3) If this doesn't work, take the key apart again, remove the battery and spray in some electrical contact cleaner. Stand the key up on some tissue to allow the solvent to drain down into the tissue
4) Order new key from Audi

Hope you get it working mate.

Reactions: rasA4
I would probably try the following in order (least aggressive first)

1) Try a brand new battery in fob
2) Hold the key against the advanced key area in the phone tray under the arms rest and try and start the car.
3) If this doesn't work, take the key apart again, remove the battery and spray in some electrical contact cleaner. Stand the key up on some tissue to allow the solvent to drain down into the tissue
4) Order new key from Audi

Hope you get it working mate.

Pjeffe, if you’re ever around my way I owe you a pint of 50...

Liberal spray of contact cleaner delivered in less than 12 hours courtesy of Amazon, a new CR2032 battery and half a million prayers- and voila!

So lessons learnt- don’t dive with your car key outside of your drysuit, and if you do- remove the battery straight away, use emergency key to get you in, the car will start providing the fob is in the docking area, face the immense wrath of the wife when you tell her, get great advice from people on here and save spending £3-400 on a new key!

Reactions: cuke2u, pjeffe9172, Daggerit and 1 other person
Glad you got it sorted. What’s the procedure to get into the car if the fob isn’t working.

I'd assume pressing the little tabs on the key where the ring would go through and pull out the key to use in the lock on the driver's door.

Reactions: WesT-gefül
I'd assume pressing the little tabs on the key where the ring would go through and pull out the key to use in the lock on the driver's door.

Press tabs on the side, withdraw the emergency key and use in the drivers door. The key fob needs to be in the centre console docking area (at least mine did) then cross fingers and hope car starts.

I don’t think I’ll be repeating the event though... thanks for the support folks, now where’s my beer!?

Reactions: WesT-gefül and Daggerit
Press tabs on the side, withdraw the emergency key and use in the drivers door. The key fob needs to be in the centre console docking area (at least mine did) then cross fingers and hope car starts.

I don’t think I’ll be repeating the event though... thanks for the support folks, now where’s my beer!?

1aa54ace0e356f920d5dfd1e247a8568.jpg