Advice: Buying Audi A4 2.0 TFSI Dynamik Quattro 4dr (2011)

JamesRyder

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've just put a deposit down for an Audi A4 2.0 TFSI Dynamik Quattro 4 door, 2011 model. It's done ~58K miles and drives really well. I basically fell in love with it as soon as I hit the gas.

Anyway, I appreciate this has been talked to death (apologies), but I was hoping for some perspective. The car has had 1 owner and full Audi service stamps, right up until the last one, which was an oil change from a general 'back street' garage. On that receipt, it specifies the oil type used (5W40). I raised the worry about the oil consumption issue, and the guy stated that Audi will be fine about it, even with a non-Audi service (since the receipt states the correct oil was used). Of course he'd say that. He said that I'll notice pretty soon if it's got the issue, and that he'll sort it out with Audi if it is a problem within the first three months. I don't know if Audi are still helping customers with fixing the problem though. And if they are, I wonder if the last service might be a problem if I have to fight them.

I'm wondering if I should pull out, although it's hard to get any idea of the percentage of cars within the risk category that have actually been affected, and whether it's an age thing or a mileage thing. It seems like a big issue, but then I appreciate people don't post about not having a particular problem. I went through the same panic when I bought my previous BMW 330i and it turned out fine, although none of the potential problems ran into the thousands to fix.

So, I would really like to keep the car, but I would like to make a best-guess risk assessment before I fork out £11K. I just wondered what people think of this situation. Also, is the car due an expensive service coming up at 60K miles?

Thanks for any response, even if it is to lambaste me for raising a much-talked about problem.

Last edited:
Hi. For a 2011 car many will have had the test and piston rings changed by now.
Same here, 2010 model , when I got mine the other year Indy dealer said very few cars were affected not to worry . And first month oil level was good no drop. It looses about a litre a year So when it’s low I just get an oil change , but I only do about 5- 7k a year .

I did call Audi and asked , and got told it had been for 2 consumption tests but no further information . Guy on phone said they don’t keep a record of tests , what car get them changed , and it looks like mine probably has had the work done . But there’s no way to tell.
I think it’s audis way of covering up the problem , if there’s no documentation and record of no of cars etc!

Though with only 60k on yours it may not have been as noticeable to the previous owners , mines was quite high mileage before I got it.

From my experience with Audi they are quite good at listening and taking any problems on board and will consider whether cost is covered.
But you have to state your case well and nicely and keep phoning them , they -local dealer , may not offer it all free at first time.
You have to ask to get your case elevated to Audi uk HQ and re-evaluated properly

I got 2 new wings free from making a fuss and phoning them a couple of times a week for a month .
Would imagine with the piston rings problem they are more forthcoming to stop the bad rep.
It’s your legal right to get serviced elsewhere, they can’t refuse onthat ground. But it is about if the services have been on time and to right spec.
They can say it’s not been looked after to their requirement and that’s their refusal for cost covered work.

There’s a huge sticky thread about oil consumption tests / repair on the b8 forum top section , ask on there too.

Reactions: CHEZ and JamesRyder
Hi. For a 2011 car many will have had the test and piston rings changed by now.
Same here, 2010 model , when I got mine the other year Indy dealer said very few cars were affected not to worry . And first month oil level was good no drop. It looses about a litre a year So when it’s low I just get an oil change , but I only do about 5- 7k a year .

I did call Audi and asked , and got told it had been for 2 consumption tests but no further information . Guy on phone said they don’t keep a record of tests , what car get them changed , and it looks like mine probably has had the work done . But there’s no way to tell.
I think it’s audis way of covering up the problem , if there’s no documentation and record of no of cars etc!

Though with only 60k on yours it may not have been as noticeable to the previous owners , mines was quite high mileage before I got it.

From my experience with Audi they are quite good at listening and taking any problems on board and will consider whether cost is covered.
But you have to state your case well and nicely and keep phoning them , they -local dealer , may not offer it all free at first time.
You have to ask to get your case elevated to Audi uk HQ and re-evaluated properly

I got 2 new wings free from making a fuss and phoning them a couple of times a week for a month .
Would imagine with the piston rings problem they are more forthcoming to stop the bad rep.
It’s your legal right to get serviced elsewhere, they can’t refuse onthat ground. But it is about if the services have been on time and to right spec.
They can say it’s not been looked after to their requirement and that’s their refusal for cost covered work.

There’s a huge sticky thread about oil consumption tests / repair on the b8 forum top section , ask on there too.

Hi Klickflip. Thank you so much for taking the time to respond in detail. That's really great advice and it's provided me with some reassurance. It's good to know that Audi are customer-focused, having never dealt with Audi in the past. I never even thought of giving Audi a call, but I'll do that today to see if they have anything on record. That would provide double reassurance if it has had the test. I really struggle when buying cars as my heart pulls me in one direction, and then shortly after, my head starts casting doubt. Thanks again for your input and sound advice. That was very kind of you, especially considering people must be tired of this old conversation by now.

[Update] So I called Audi and there's nothing on record. The CS rep is sending over the full Audi service history for me to look at. I must say, I'm very impressed with their customer service, and found them very helpful, so that does give me some reassurance if anything does need resolving in the future. I think if I get the car back into Audi servicing then they might forgive the blip on the service record if I need them in future.

Last edited:
Reactions: Klickflip