Advice Needed - Keeping Wheels Clean!

shortfletch11

Reaction score
Hi all,

Like most of us on here I love nothing more than to keep my S3 clean, particularly the alloys which are 19" BBS CK in silver. I have noticed the last couple of times that I now have a small build up of what I assume is brake dust which I am struggling to remove from the inner lip? Can anyone recommend the best way to get this off, or what products to use going forward? I currently use Autoglym Clean Wheels?

Cheers

shortfletch11
icon6.png

Absolutely loads of products that you can use.

For a general wheel cleaner I use Autobrites Non Acid Wheel Cleaner and dilute it down and for other stubborn marks and tar spots, I use some Tardis.

Once clean, give them a couple of coats of a good wheel sealant, it'll make them easier to clean next time.

Absolutely loads of products that you can use.

For a general wheel cleaner I use Autobrites Non Acid Wheel Cleaner and dilute it down and for other stubborn marks and tar spots, I use some Tardis.

Once clean, give them a couple of coats of a good wheel sealant, it'll make them easier to clean next time.

What sealant do you use/recommend as I am going to buy some this weekend?

What sealant do you use/recommend as I am going to buy some this weekend?
I use Planet Polish Wheel Seal + Shine on mine. So easy to apply but does need a good couple of coats for good protection. P.S. Buy my spacers!! ;)

Reactions: manor13 and Forbzeeee
Don't use ValetPro Bilberry wheel cleaner. That stuff is useless.

Why so? Heard mixed stuff about Bilberry. People used to rave about it a good while back. I went for the Very Cherry stuff as it worked out cheaper at the time and had good reviews.

Clean them thoroughly then use Poorboys Wheel Sealant.
When you next clean your car jet wash the wheels and the dust comes over then go over quickly with a wash mitt.
No need to reapply sealant for at least another 6 months.

I wouldn't recommend using any wheels cleaners on top of the sealant as it'll most likely remove it quicker than usual.

If you don't want to use a sealant then I highly recommend the Autoglym Clean Wheels for removing baked on brake dust.

Reactions: Forbzeeee
Clean them thoroughly then use Poorboys Wheel Sealant.
When you next clean your car jet wash the wheels and the dust comes over then go over quickly with a wash mitt.
No need to reapply sealant for at least another 6 months.

I wouldn't recommend using any wheels cleaners on top of the sealant as it'll most likely remove it quickly over time.

If you don't want to use a sealant then I highly recommend the Autoglym Clean Wheels for removing baked on brake dust.

I will have to disagree.

Their wax will give you 1 months protection at the most. 6 months if you dont drive the car, sorry lol .. i speak from exp!

Grab yourself something like Nanolex Ultra Sealant, or 22PLE, or GYEON or some ceramic type coating which will and should give you 6-10 months protection.

Ideally you should only need a high pressure washer to blast them off, and finish off with a mitt and left over suds.

Wheel cleaner wise, wolfs chemicals decon gel, 1z einszett colourtec and ironx from carpro are all 'deironisers'. They attack brake dust and dissolve it much quicker than traditional cleaners.

Autoglym wheel cleaner is acidic, be careful. All wheels cleaners use when wheels are COLD !!

I applied Poorboys Wheel Sealant to my wheels over 6 months ago and do 1000 miles a month, and they're still protected, not had to reapply yet.

Gtechniq C5 wheel sealant for durability. 18 months if applied correctly. Jet wash and quick wipe and looks like first time they were done. A little bit of product goes along way! watch the beading!

I can highly recommend Carbon Collective Platinum Wheels for sealing your wheels. Its an amazing product!

Don't use ValetPro Bilberry wheel cleaner. That stuff is useless.
Is that why an average of 90 people on CYC rate it 4.5/5?

To remove baked on stuff your going to need either a strong concentration of the above or similar or just get some IronX or similar contamination and fallout remover on them. Cant comment on sealant as I'm still undecided on what to go for myself but I've heard mixed reviews (as is happening here) about poor boys!

I use Planet Polish Wheel Seal + Shine on mine. So easy to apply but does need a good couple of coats for good protection. P.S. Buy my spacers!! ;)

I am doing a small test on this at the moment, having applied 3-4 coats on my TD 1.2's first couple of weeks just used shampoo to rinse off the cack with wheel woolies now left the car for 3 weeks without cleaning so big test next wash time.

I dont rate poorboys wheel sealant, and these new sealants like gteq,gyeon etc all need pristine mega clean surfaces to bond and work example dlux from carpro I am living with the pain having not applied correctly marks on my 8V alloys can't get the stuff off PITA

shout out to autosmart smart wheels.

Last edited:
Is that why an average of 90 people on CYC rate it 4.5/5?

To remove baked on stuff your going to need either a strong concentration of the above or similar or just get some IronX or similar contamination and fallout remover on them. Cant comment on sealant as I'm still undecided on what to go for myself but I've heard mixed reviews (as is happening here) about poor boys!

God knows but I have used it at various dilutions (and neat) and it isn't fairing much better than hot water and a good scrub with a wheel cleaner. It just doesn't seem to lift the dust and I clean mine around once every 2-3 weeks and seal. Not fussy wheels either. If anything the Bilberry leaves spotting and doesn't do anything for the worst of the worst bits. Just found it pants really.

You can reduce the amount of brake dust when you replace your pads next. My mate who has an S2000 Honda uses Green Stuff Pads which dont produce much brake dust.

Greenstuff Pads EBC Brakes | EBC Brake Shop

You need to warm green stuff pads up considerably though before they start working properly, i had a set on a car a good few years ago now and i crapped myself once slamming on one morning when i had just got in the car lol!

Those older EBC pads would of been a previous formulation they are now on or around version 7.

Likewise for my favourite road pad with even lower dust, that never sticks, EBC Redstuff.

I am doing a small test on this at the moment, having applied 3-4 coats on my TD 1.2's first couple of weeks just used shampoo to rinse off the cack with wheel woolies now left the car for 3 weeks without cleaning so big test next wash time.
In terms of durability, I wouldn't say it's the best but the price and ease of application outweighs this for me. Once I've cleaned and dried my wheels, I just put another light coat on just to keep it 'topped up.'When applied, the shine on the wheels is brilliant though.

Gtechniq C5 wheel sealant for durability. 18 months if applied correctly. Jet wash and quick wipe and looks like first time they were done. A little bit of product goes along way! watch the beading!

^^^^^ this, the only product I use on any of my Cars.

Simply brilliant. 25k/yr 3 years in and only a minor top up required.

K

Try iron out from auto finese or something similar ?? And I've been using black magic deatailings wheel wax he's 2 mins from me and me
His own stuff and it's awsum! Nuthing stays on my alloys wipes off! He has a website aswel have a look, oh and wheel whoolies to clean then they are amazing best thing I've bought