Advice needed please!!

skipsey

Reaction score
Hi there
I'm after some guidance from some of you die hard Audi fans :) I'm not currently a Audi owner but I'm really considering buying a 2.5 v6 tdi a4 I'm wondering if anyone has one or had? any good? also is the tiptronic box any good IL test drive before i buy obviously so ill get a feel for it but whats it like to live with etc?
Thanks for any help:icon_thumright:

:sign_welcome:

Several of us on here have the 2.5TDi - great car in my opinion. There a few tiptronic owners about, but I'm not one of them so I will have to leave that for someone else!

Engine wise the 2.5 isn't as fragile as people would have you believe, but it can be sensitive to poor servicing. The main thing to be aware of is that the timing belt and ALL ancillaries are changed every 60k - Audi recommend 80k but thats too high IMO. Misc thing's can go wrong like any car, such as broken glovebox hinges, wipers seizing up etc...... but the only one to really worry you would be the fuel pump failing. There's rarely a pattern to this and expect to pay in the region of £700. That said I only know one person it's ever happened to.

What sort of age/mileage you looking at?

:sign_welcome:

Several of us on here have the 2.5TDi - great car in my opinion. There a few tiptronic owners about, but I'm not one of them so I will have to leave that for someone else!

Engine wise the 2.5 isn't as fragile as people would have you believe, but it can be sensitive to poor servicing. The main thing to be aware of is that the timing belt and ALL ancillaries are changed every 60k - Audi recommend 80k but thats too high IMO. Misc thing's can go wrong like any car, such as broken glovebox hinges, wipers seizing up etc...... but the only one to really worry you would be the fuel pump failing. There's rarely a pattern to this and expect to pay in the region of £700. That said I only know one person it's ever happened to.

What sort of age/mileage you looking at?

Thanks for the quick reply around the 2003/03 plate there normally 90-110k? but FSH is a must with me on anything with that mileage.

i see yours is around that age how many miles is yours pushing if you dont mind me asking?

Mines just turned 140k - its not on the original engine though - hence my timing belt paranoia......

I have the 2.5 TDi 155bhp variant mated to a 6 speed multitronic gearbox, there are two types of auto boxes for this chassis, the most problematic is the multitronic (juddering, slipped clutch, ECU fault, degraded gearbox oil) the list is endless. If you do decide to go for an auto and it is a multitronic check for 40k/80k/120k and so on gearbox oil change also if it has had the 6 to 7 plate conversion. It sounds quite scary when you think about it although I must say that when the gearbox is working fine it is one of the best gearboxes around.
You can expect fuel returns of upto 45+ MPG

I got a 2003 2.5 quattro last july 100k and am impressed especially as we then had the worst winter for 30 years !Took some getting used to the difference as I had always driven petrol for over 40 years but my son who had a1.9 quattro insisted that the torque would suit my lazy gear changing was right.The mpg is not great as I dont do many long runs but I hope to get a tuning box to improve this .He has recently got a 2004 2.5 quattro triptronic and fitted abox this week which seems to give a lot more mpgI prefer the manual but the auto seems solid and doesnt seem to need so much care to stay reliable.Look out for all the extras which most want .Mines an SE which has fullDIS and cruise control and rear park sensors which I like but his is a sport with better seats etc and unkown to the previous owner electric folding mirrors whichare usefull but rare.The best extra is quattro if you are interested and can find one.

did the belt go on yours like

The bearings in the idler pulley went and it disintegrated and the belt jumped 4 teeth. I bought the car at 100k with FSH knowing the belt was changed at 80k - after this happened I looked closer at the FSGH and at the 80k belt changed the pulley's were "inspected" and "looked ok"..

You can expect fuel returns of upto 45+ MPG

Maybe on the fwd 155 - you'd be doing very well to get that from the 180 quattro.

it sounds like a good buy not without its faults but what isn't? its a definite contender for my next car. thank you for all your replies. IL keep this thread up if you dont mind with some that Ive found up for sale see what yous think.

Of course, it's always good to see what's out there :icon_thumright:

It states it's an SE which would appear to be true as it's got 16" wheels (I thought 2003 Sports came with 17's...?) but it has sport seats and steering wheel so is most likely a Sport model.

It's just had the cambelt done which is good (but don't make my mistake and assume everything has been done...) I can't comment on the price, FSH is nice, but you would need a bit in reserve for 18's and to colour code the grey lowers in my opinion.

I'd recommend the 2.5tdi I've got it with the CVT / multitronic gearbox, and its very nice drive. They can be a bit noisy at idle but once going along very smooth and quiet, MPG is good as well 40mpg+

okay thanks im not gonna rush into anything im saving like mad so the longer i wait better deal i can afford.

okay here goes with a thicko question whats the diffrence between tiptronic and the multi tronic?:think: