advice on buying 2017 S4

the dealer who had no feedback and dreadful reviews (in his last car business) has now changed his mind on my px (after i asked him a few questions and sent him some emails from my firms email address). seemed a scam

Walk away then. The thing is, and I am being honest, for the price you wish to pay, you should really be looking at fully loaded 2.0tfsi Quattro not dodgy S4's...

Reactions: NevMan
I want an S4 though - i am happy to pay a bit more for the right one. Just never been a fan of buying a brand new car and have always bought nearly new etc. I should look at PCP deals but cant get my head around them

Yes it does push a purchaser towards buying a new car instead, but I guess that's what they want as the profit is higher. However there is nothing stopping anyone from taking the PCP to get the dealers contribution, if any, then just paying off the finance, as has been stated by others. Although I would have thought the interest on the loan would eat into it.
Pays maybe to self finance through one of the PCP companies out there that have far cheaper interest rates if a PCP is what a purchaser wishes to have.
agree, the link you posted earlier certainly not bad rates fro used PCP

No that's a good philosophy and I won't argue with that. PCP's explained http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/car-news/90794/pcp-personal-contract-purchase-car-deals-explained if it helps. We use it to get into cars we would not be able to afford on HP or cash.
+1 on that, but as @cuke2u says, either better off getting nearly new 2.0 TFSI loaded up, or spend a bit more or get head around PCP.

As it happens, I went for 2.0 TFSI Q5, as opposed SQ5, as just couldn't justify the extra £150pm it would have cost me!

I have a £42k Q5 that costs me less than £350 p/m, and as long as I get my deposit back when I change over in 2.5 years time, I couldn't give a monkeys....I know costs me in interest blah blah, but as it happens, I could buy the car cash, but choose to pay an affordable monthly amount :icon thumright: And get into brand new car every 2-3 years

with pcp deals do most of them allow the deposit to returned. who places the valuation on the car at the end

If you read the article @cuke2u posted, the whole thing with PCP, as there is a balloon payment at the end, known as GFV (guaranteed future value).

"
A canny PCP provider will do everything they can to ensure that your car’s value at the end of the PCP term will be a little higher than the final balloon payment required to buy it outright.

This difference between the balloon payment and the car's value can then be used to help reduce the deposit you will pay on the next car the dealer will line up for you when the current PCP runs out."

I have always come in well above that when changing, sometimes by selling privately (admittedly not with last A6, but that is a separate story, as changed too early).

Just to add, I do often add in a bit more deposit when changing, as I will have a figure in mind I am happy to pay. Best/cheapest option (assuming you buy new) is to take dealer PCP deal, with the dealer contribution towards deposit, then settle with your own loan/money within 2 weeks and you don't pay interest. Many on here do that, I tend to negotiate hard on bottom line

Last edited:
thanks for the tips. I did not realism you could sell privately.
Yep, I have often agreed a P/X price, and then ended up getting more privately, all depends what works for you at the time.

All you need to know is settlement figure, and as mentioned above, as long as Audi Finance get the settlement, they don't care.
You can often get an even lower settlement if you stay with Audi (loyalty discount and all that). PCP much more flexible than personal lease IMO

I have never just handed back any car on a pcp and usually used it as collateral or equity towards my new one. That way any penalties are avoided for mileage, kerbed wheels etc.

Oh and I usually reduce my yearly mileage on a quote from 10,000 to 5,000. It reduces the monthly payments a little on a three year contract and increases the final payment, also by a little. I just see it as a deferred payment...

Sorry, ACC is Adaptive Cruise Control. :)

hi cheers for the tips on the Audi - how can you telll that the vehicle does not have the drivers assistance pack = is there something missing from the photos which should be there if it had this pack - you mention the adaptive cruise control

It’s easy to tell because the lower grills will have the radars for the ACC if it has it.

1f4e5225880fcd8f8c392e2485a91f2d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

the seller has now sent me the spec sheet that he has had from audi (listers)

seller is keen again to px me (change of heart)

View Vehicle Specification

Optional extras

1. Equipment and design packages

[WB7] Light & Vision Pack

-[8IT] LED headlamps

-[QK1] Camera and/or distance sensor (driver assistance system)

-[QQ2] Extended LED Interior Light pk

-[8Q3] Automatic headlight adjustment

-[8SP] LED rear combination lamp

-[8X1] Headlight washers

-[8G4] Matrix LED Headlights

3. Wheels/tyres

[PQI] 19x8.5J 5-Vspoke titanium alloys

-[40V] Alloy wheels 8.5J x 19

-[HZ1] Tires 155/70 R14 ??? front tires 185/60 R14 ??? rear

23. Suspensions/brakes

[PC2] Red brake calipers

-[2EJ] Disk brakes in rear

-[1ZC] Disc brakes in front

-[2MV] S Suspension w damping control

-[GH2] quattro with sports diff

10. Seats/seating comfort

[PV3] Electric fr seats, driver mem

-[3L4] Electric fr seats, driver mem

12. Trim

-[5MK] Inlays, Carbon Atlas

14. Steering wheels/gear levers/selectorlevers/controls

-[2PF] 3-spk mf-sw flat-bottom

18. MMI® and navigation systems

-[9S8] Audi Virtual Cockpit

19. Radio and TV systems

-[9VS] Bang & Olufsen 3D Sound System

22. Assistance systems

-[UH2] Hill hold assist

-[QR9] Traffic sign recognition

5. Mirrors

-[6XL] Ext mir elec/fold/heat/dim/mem

8. Glass

-[VW6] Privacy glass side&rear window

-[3Y4] Side window blinds, man

Colours

Interior Trim Colours - Seats/Dashboard/Carpet/Headliner

-[AU] Magma Red-Magma Red-Granite Gray/ Black-Black/Black/Black

Exterior colours (pearl effect)

-[6Y6Y] Daytona Grey, pearl effect

I assume the reference to QK1 does not mean that the car has the drivers assistance package -
Most newerAudis come with the front facing camera (in rear view mirror housing), but doesn't mean that it has the driver assistance package, as that needs radar in grille, and cameras/radar (not sure off top of my head) in side mirrors

Reactions: Daggerit
A4 doesn't have any radar in the grill, in my car, with drivers assistence, they are where the foglights normally are see the domes, and nothing in the mirrors either:
Sketch 1521838868703 960x600

I did think you had posted a pdf/manual awhile back that detailed cameras/radar in side mirrors

The 360 cameras are in the wing mirrors if that’s what you’re meaning?

Reactions: NevMan and cuke2u
Side assist has bumber mounted radar, certainly my car hasn't anything in the mirrors for the driver assist tour package. I may well have linked to a generic description, not sure. The 360 cameras might have one in each mirror...

You use the money from the sale to pay the outstanding balance with the finance company, just as you would with a loan.

both in autotrader

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201807038077396?model=S4&sort=price-asc&advertising-location=at_cars&onesearchad=Used&onesearchad=Nearly New&onesearchad=New&radius=1500&year-from=2017&postcode=cf448ru&make=AUDI&page=1

doing some background digging the dierctor of this new company orchard had other car selling companies where some of the reviews were worrying. I now that all dealers will have some poor reviews but i am a bit wary of this new trader.
The seats kill the car for me! Are they really as bright as they look in the photo's, you would need sunglasses on permanently!

The seats kill the car for me! Are they really as bright as they look in the photo's, you would need sunglasses on permanently!

They’re really not, you really need to see them in the flesh to decide if you like them.