advice on engine block

jay22s3

2nd gear sorts em out
Reaction score
hi all ive been looking for a BAM block to do a forged bottom end and I think ive found one , but it has a knocking rod , will it be ok to use ? as a base for a forged engine ?
any advice would be much appreciated

Knocking rod? you mean a knocking bigend bearing?

Block should be fine... BAM block is nothing special as all 06a blocks are the same

<tuffty/>

are all the pistons the same ?

A bit of an ambiguous question as you suggest you are looking to build a 'forged' bottom end which if the interwebs is to be believed could be anything from slinging a set of no name rods in to a full bottom end build...

Acquiring a suitable block to use as a build engine may not mean the bores are in a good state... are you planning to rebore and fit oversized pistons too? its advisable that you at least checks the bores are in spec and not oval if you are just going to use standard pistons... APY/APX/AMK/BAM K04 turbo'd engine pistons are all the same (20mm)... AGU/AYP 20mm pistons off K03 turbo'd engines differ from those used in the K04 turbo'd engines but 'can' be used with 20mm rods (should you find an AGU block or Ibiza cupra block)...

You cannot use 2618 forged pistons (JE, CP, Wiseco etc) as a direct replacement as they expand more than std pistons requiring bigger clearances... plus nobody in their right mind would fit expensive new pistons into a worn block :)

<tuffty/>

As above if you are going to buy a block with an unknown history and with a pre existing fault then you may end up spending a lot more money. If the rod has bent and it's knocked off an oil jet this can damage the block. If the oil pump has failed or it's been running low pressure then it may be a bin job.

this is why I ask on here first as you guys have the knowledge and stops me from making big mistakes
thanks very much for your time guys much appreciated