Advice on retrofitting MIB1 High or MIB2 Standard?

Bleutiger

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a 2015 S3 Sportback Nav

Im interested in retrofitting my MIB1 Standard 5.8” screen to the 7 inch screen because of the poor resolution and want the bigger screen.

My plan is to get the bigger screen and then get one of them wireless CarPlay adaptor boxes.

Can someone one tell me what parts I need and the part numbers to go with them please?

I did phone up VAG Car Coding yesterday and spoke to someone but cant remember his name. He did mention what i need but i need the actual part numbers etc.

With regards to the cost, is it worthwhile upgrading to the MIB2 instead, although i believe it only gives you Carplay but its wired connection only. So i would still need to buy the wireless Carplay connection box anyway on top of getting that fitted.

Thanks

Alan

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I stand to be corrected, but if you upgrade to MIB2 you would need the cluster too

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

I also have the B&O speaker package that i failed to mention in the post, if that makes any difference.

MIB 1 - MIB1 High unit, 7" screen, MIB High MMI Controller, Combined AMI/USB socket. Will need CP protection removed and coding

MIB2 - MIB2 unit, screen, MMI control unit (with or without Touch input depending what MIB unit you source), centre console storage box +USB port/ cables, FL BO amplifier, FL BO amplifier bracket - will need CP protection removed and coding. Youll also need the LEDs changing in the MMI controller to Red to match the PFL dash.

All the part numbers are on various threads on the forum, just use the search function. Some part numbers for MIB2

Control Panel: 8V0919614BE / BJ

Head Unit: 8V1035035

Screen: 8V0857273 G or J or N or P

USB: 81A035736

Storage: 8V0863300C

Wiring Loom: 4M0035736

There's a fairly big cost difference between the two. I've done the switch to MIB2 myself.

Last edited:
MIB 1 - MIB1 High unit, 7" screen, MIB High MMI Controller, Combined AMI/USB socket. Will need CP protection removed and coding

MIB2 - MIB2 unit, screen, MMI control unit (with or without Touch input depending what MIB unit you source), centre console storage box +USB port/ cables, BO amplifier, BO amplifier bracket - will need CP protection removed and coding. Youll also need the LEDs changing in the MMI controller to Red to match the PFL dash.

All the part numbers are on various threads on the forum, just use the search function. Some part numbers for MIB2

There's a fairly big cost difference between the two. I've done the switch to MIB2 myself.

Thanks for your reply.

Once I have all the bits I need do you know if any of these coding companies would come out and do a mobile installation at my house on my driveway?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for your reply.

Once I have all the bits I need do you know if any of these coding companies would come out and do a mobile installation at my house on my driveway?

Alix will yes, @DJAlix

I can do the RED led conversion, I have one FL MMI controller already converted for sale in the classifieds if required

Alix will yes, @DJAlix

I can do the RED led conversion, I have one FL MMI controller already converted for sale in the classifieds if required

That sounds really good. I live in Poole, Dorset and I’m just looking for all the bits on eBay.

Do I need to change any buttons on the steering wheel?

I’ve just joined up to this forum, so I’ll go and have a look in the classifieds section.

That sounds really good. I live in Poole, Dorset and I’m just looking for all the bits on eBay.

Do I need to change any buttons on the steering wheel?

I’ve just joined up to this forum, so I’ll go and have a look in the classifieds section.

Nothing to change on the steering wheel, just the bits mentioned above

Both Alix and I are based in London, @NHN may be closer to you, but worth trying both.

Nothing to change on the steering wheel, just the bits mentioned above

Both Alix and I are based in London, @NHN may be closer to you, but worth trying both.

Thanks for the links.

I’ve found what I think is the Bose gen 2 amp but I’m not sure about the part number, 81A035466B

Also is there a mounting bracket for it?

A Bose amp isnt going to work for a BO system, no. And yes when you find the BO amp you’ll need the fitting bracket.

A Bose amp isnt going to work for a BO system, no. And yes when you find the BO amp you’ll need the fitting bracket.

So I don’t need the upgraded amp for it to work on mine after I have all the bits I need as well as the coding?

I was under the assumption I had to upgrade the B&O amp as well to a newer version?

So I don’t need the upgraded amp for it to work on mine after I have all the bits I need as well as the coding?

I was under the assumption I had to upgrade the B&O amp as well to a newer version?

You'll need the FL BO amp yes, otherwise you lose some functionality such as subwoofer control.

A BOSE amp has nothing to do with an 8V and more than likely from an 8P.

Hi,

I have a 2015 S3 Sportback Nav

Im interested in retrofitting my MIB1 Standard 5.8” screen to the 7 inch screen because of the poor resolution and want the bigger screen.

My plan is to get the bigger screen and then get one of them wireless CarPlay adaptor boxes.

Can someone one tell me what parts I need and the part numbers to go with them please?

I did phone up VAG Car Coding yesterday and spoke to someone but cant remember his name. He did mention what i need but i need the actual part numbers etc.

With regards to the cost, is it worthwhile upgrading to the MIB2 instead, although i believe it only gives you Carplay but its wired connection only. So i would still need to buy the wireless Carplay connection box anyway on top of getting that fitted.

Thanks

Alan

It will cost you a lot..
If you want big screen, that one point two inch not going to make your screen any bigger
I am thinking getting nice 10'' or even 12'' tablet from £300 -£350 max
That's what I am planning.. will be cheaper.. navigation maps will look perfect :)

It will cost you a lot..
If you want big screen, that one point two inch not going to make your screen any bigger
I am thinking getting nice 10'' or even 12'' tablet from £300 -£350 max
That's what I am planning.. will be cheaper.. navigation maps will look perfect :)

I’ve been speaking to another mate and I think I’ve decided just to get the bigger MIB1 high screen instead. That alone would make a big difference. It’s the resolution on the 5.8 inch is terrible, I can’t deal with it and then get one of them wireless CarPlay boxes.

Previous cars I’ve had have all had just wireless CarPlay and it’s been fine. But with these Audi’s you can’t just go out and purchase a new pioneer or kenwood or alpine screen. It has to be this MIB1 High if I want to keep it looking factory with the motorised function of the screen.

I’ve been speaking to another mate and I think I’ve decided just to get the bigger MIB1 high screen instead. That alone would make a big difference. It’s the resolution on the 5.8 inch is terrible, I can’t deal with it and then get one of them wireless CarPlay boxes.

Previous cars I’ve had have all had just wireless CarPlay and it’s been fine. But with these Audi’s you can’t just go out and purchase a new pioneer or kenwood or alpine screen. It has to be this MIB1 High if I want to keep it looking factory with the motorised function of the screen.

I wanted to VC retrofit so which consist of replacing nearly everything MIB 2, screen, st wheel, dash, speedo, etc.. But I decided not to .. very expensive and not possible anymore. Ppl selling mib 2 only for like from £600 the whole VC retrofit package kit some ppl selling at reasonable price.
I don't even use the cars screen anymore always closed ..
I have been using 7.2'' inch my smartphone about two years now.. And now I was thinking to get something bigger .
I don't really like wireless charge as it won't charge phone at all.. only little bit.. I have fast charger in standard 12V socket so it is fine.

I wanted to VC retrofit so which consist of replacing nearly everything MIB 2, screen, st wheel, dash, speedo, etc.. But I decided not to .. very expensive and not possible anymore. Ppl selling mib 2 only for like from £600 the whole VC retrofit package kit some ppl selling at reasonable price.
I don't even use the cars screen anymore always closed ..
I have been using 7.2'' inch my smartphone about two years now.. And now I was thinking to get something bigger .
I don't really like wireless charge as it won't charge phone at all.. only little bit.. I have fast charger in standard 12V socket so it is fine.

Please post photos of this fitted in the cabin. Personally, I think this would be an utterly hideous setup, something circa 2000 Fast and Furious style.

The Carplay boxes are terrible in my opinion, so slow and you will lose sound quality with your BO.

Average cost for MIB2 is around £1000. It's the BO amp you need that bumps the cost up a bit. A MIB1 High is still going to cost you circa £500.

I have a full MIB 1 HIGH setup (minus screen) if that's the way you want to go that I may sell if you want to drop me a PM to discuss.

Last edited:
Please post photos of this fitted in the cabin. Personally, I think this would be an utterly hideous setup, something circa 2000 Fast and Furious style.

The Carplay boxes are terrible in my opinion, so slow and you will lose sound quality with your BO.

Average cost for MIB2 is around £1000. It's the BO amp you need that bumps the cost up a bit. A MIB1 High is still going to cost you circa £500.

I have a full MIB 1 HIGH setup (minus screen) if that's the way you want to go that I may sell if you want to drop me a PM to discuss.

I was able to get the MMI MIB1 HIGH media unit and MMI interface dash panel for £515 and a new screen from Germany for £274. So not too bad going. I’ll get someone to code it near me to work.

That will complete my upgrade and then get that wireless car play unit.

I was able to get the MMI MIB1 HIGH media unit and MMI interface dash panel for £515 and a new screen from Germany for £274. So not too bad going. I’ll get someone to code it near me to work.

Not far off the cost of a Mib2 once you’re finished...

Coding is one thing, CP protection is another, anyhow, good luck.

I was thinking putting on passengers side of dash.. or still in the middle ..

Uuuuuu pricey .. plus work totalling grand...

Attachments

• Oof_Stones_Banner.jpg
    Oof_Stones_Banner.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 95
I was able to get the component protection removal done for £90.00 and my mate is doing the rest by VCDS Hex Net so all in all, £879 all done.

I was able to get the component protection removal done for £90.00 and my mate is doing the rest by VCDS Hex Net so all in all, £879 all done.
A lot of money for just a bigger screen but as long as you’re happy.

Updating the maps will be another issue mind…

Reactions: AudiRace
Yeah its a lot of money but happy to have the better resolution, it does make a difference especially in maps. It may not be MIB2 but I wouldnt use Carplay in the wired configuration, its not convenient for me. I prefer the wireless connection.

If MIB2 was wireless as well as wired it would be a no brainer. But its not.

Thanks for all the advice.

I have the new screen fitted and all is working great, took the car to my independent audi garage to get the component protection removed and purchased a wireless Carplay box and thats working good as well.

Setup MMI
Audi Drive Select
Carplay Settings
Carplay Music

Personally i would do the mib2 high retrofit. The usb and B&o amp is an extra money pit but worth it.

For starters you can leave the pfl center console in.. (also has white leds)
Hacking mmi is easy and youll love the carplay option. Also the navi will be hacked to unlimited updates.

Harman EU MIB2 Main-Unit (8V1 035 035, or 8v1 035 036 without dab)
Prepare for a lot of coding, but almost everything will work , audi connect wont work!

Bang & Olufsen Amplifier (81A 035 466 B) (required if you have B&O as the V1 amp is not 100% compatiable. You'll have sound but no control settings in the MMI)
Base for amplifier (81A 907 390) (required as the mounting points are different between the V1 amp and the V2)

MMI Controls (8V0 919 614 BJ/BE/BK) (required as the new MMI interface requires you to use the joystick on this MMI to navigate the menus, especially with CarPlay) BE - No touch, BJ/BK - touch
Storage Compartment (8V0 863 300 C)

(USB connectors don't fit in the existing storage bin under the arm rest)
External Connectors (USB) (81A 035 736)

Wiring Loom (4M0 035 736)

Reactions: Istike01
Personally i would do the mib2 high retrofit. The usb and B&o amp is an extra money pit but worth it.

For starters you can leave the pfl center console in.. (also has white leds)
Hacking mmi is easy and youll love the carplay option. Also the navi will be hacked to unlimited updates.

Harman EU MIB2 Main-Unit (8V1 035 035, or 8v1 035 036 without dab)
Prepare for a lot of coding, but almost everything will work , audi connect wont work!

Bang & Olufsen Amplifier (81A 035 466 B) (required if you have B&O as the V1 amp is not 100% compatiable. You'll have sound but no control settings in the MMI)
Base for amplifier (81A 907 390) (required as the mounting points are different between the V1 amp and the V2)

MMI Controls (8V0 919 614 BJ/BE/BK) (required as the new MMI interface requires you to use the joystick on this MMI to navigate the menus, especially with CarPlay) BE - No touch, BJ/BK - touch
Storage Compartment (8V0 863 300 C)

(USB connectors don't fit in the existing storage bin under the arm rest)
External Connectors (USB) (81A 035 736)

Wiring Loom (4M0 035 736)
Thank You for the reply. I'll check it out soon.

MIB2 - MIB2 unit, screen, MMI control unit (with or without Touch input depending what MIB unit you source), centre console storage box +USB port/ cables, FL BO amplifier, FL BO amplifier bracket - will need CP protection removed and coding. Youll also need the LEDs changing in the MMI controller to Red to match the PFL dash.

Sorry for bumping an old post but correct me if I am wrong but does MIB1 High have carplay functionality? I have the MMI controls/USB/7in screen sorted its just a case of sourcing the infotainment unit.

I don't have B&O just the upgraded Audi sound system with subwoofer in the boot but I just wanna fit the correct infotainment ideally not at the cost of the MIB2 Harman units.

MIB1 (high or otherwise) does not have CarPlay; you need MIB2 for that
Ok thanks and in terms of part numbers for the MIB2 are they just 8V1 035 035/036?

Would something like 81A035192E work? And other MIB2 units from Audi Q2s etc

Couldn’t tell you as I don’t know, but the part number of the head unit of my MIB2 swap is 81A 035 188 B

Reactions: pxuL
Ok thanks and in terms of part numbers for the MIB2 are they just 8V1 035 035/036?

Would something like 81A035192E work? And other MIB2 units from Audi Q2s etc

Use the search engine, this has been covered to death over the years :)

Reactions: JohnM100
Use the search engine, this has been covered to death over the years :)
I know mate but I just get bombarded by seeing people post about the Chinese carplay boxes and people trying to figure out the usb connection. No definitive thread of the headunits. I'm looking to get one from a Audi Q2 2019 81A035192E assuming it will support carplay

Update. Managed to source a unit from an 8v S3 2016 unit 81A035192 which has Audi smartphone/carplay functionality.

Update. Managed to source a unit from an 8v S3 2016 unit 81A035192 which has Audi smartphone/carplay functionality.

Good luck with that.

I'll have a proper MIB2 full setup inc modified MMI controller, coming up for sale in the next month or so, will be priced at around £1000.

Reactions: rhubarb4
Good luck with that.

I'll have a proper MIB2 full setup inc modified MMI controller, coming up for sale in the next month or so, will be priced at around £1000.
Got screen, infotainment and the controller for about a third of that price. CP removed by myself done it on my mk7 golf and seat Leon. Now it's time to do Audi

Got screen, infotainment and the controller for about a third of that price. CP removed by myself done it on my mk7 golf and seat Leon. Now it's time to do Audi

Lol, theres a reason why..you'll find out in due course.

Reactions: JohnM100
Yeah just like the 95% of retrofitters who sell units for 1k+ ‍♂️♂️

Well, no.

The correct MIB2 MMI units sell for around £500-£600. However, this is the first element of what is needed.

..and they certainly don't sell the one you have bought for £500 or £1k. You'll find out why in due course.