Advice on tar and a white car

Shogun

Reaction score
Hey guys, posted this on my mobile so will upload a pic later when I'm on my desktop, but yeah,
Jesus Christ does my car attract tough tar spots
Also very small brown spots,

I've bought something from autobrite
Called 'just the tonic' and that is starting to get the tar off, but it's taking a lot of work, but it's not touching the brown spots

Also tryed one by meguiers which again just got laughed at,

#whitecarproblems

If anyone could reccomend any products would appreciate it

Autosmart Tardis is really good , spray / wipe on , wipe and wash off ,Tar gone but you would need to polish after though . do not buy it from e bay as it may not be the right stuff .

Another vote for auto glym tar and adhesive remover. Great stuff, spray watch it bubble/run away wipe then rinse.

I'm sure I've tried the auto glym version... As I've got the full set,
Maybe it's not tar lol,
You guys just use regular microfibre cloths too? I'm starting to wonder if I need a buffer

My OCD is stonggggg with this car, I knew white was a bad idea lol

Reactions: Bandicoot51
Hey guys, posted this on my mobile so will upload a pic later when I'm on my desktop, but yeah,
Jesus Christ does my car attract tough tar spots
Also very small brown spots,

I've bought something from autobrite
Called 'just the tonic' and that is starting to get the tar off, but it's taking a lot of work, but it's not touching the brown spots

Also tryed one by meguiers which again just got laughed at,

#whitecarproblems

If anyone could reccomend any products would appreciate it
@Shogun - I use Auto Finesse Oblitarate :thumbs up:

I find it quite a versatile product TBH

Always get mine from Polished Bliss
http://www.polishedbliss.co.uk/acatalog/auto-finesse-oblitarate-cat6.html

What I like about them is, not only do they do free P&P on everything but they also have the 'how to use' at the bottom of each product they sell :thumbs up:

Brown spots can be iron/ metal particles from the brake pads that require a different approach. For tar spots I always use to use white spirit with no issue, then got some Autoglym intensive tar remover and found that to work well.

Karl.

Brown spots can be iron/ metal particles from the brake pads that require a different approach. For tar spots I always use to use white spirit with no issue, then got some Autoglym intensive tar remover and found that to work well.

Karl.
That makes a lot of sense as when I leave the car a couple says the brake pads are rusty as hell,

Thanks to everyone above, will try again this weekend with a new product haha

With the autoglym i have a wee 1inch detailing brush i use to aggitate, ive found this helps as well. then just rub off with a MF then rinse (usually rinse then snow foam whole car again).

I usually do the following.
  • Rinse the car to get rid of loose dirt
  • Snow foam the whole car to get rid of more of the dirt
  • Wash the car as normal
  • Wipe down each panel with autoglym tar remover. (I do also use Tardis for the tough bits) I prefer using Autoglym as its not as harsh, but some bits dont budge lol.
  • Rinse the car and wash to get rid of the tar remover
  • Then spray ironx (or similar fall out remover) to get rid of the fall out and metal filings on the paint work (do not use this in direct sunlight as it will dry it out and be a nightmare to remove)
  • Rinse the car and wash to get rid of the ironx
  • Then using a clay bar and lubrication clay bar the whole car to get rid of any other surface contaminants.
  • Then rinse and wash the car again
This is usually my prep for then DAing the car but instead of this you can polish and wax the car.

Once done the paint feels silky smooth :)

If it's Tar then Autosmart Tardis or Autoglym Tar remover would do the job. If you want to spot clean use a cotton make-up pad soaked in the product and then wipe away at the spcific area of concern.
If this does not work it may be iron contaminate, you will need somehing like Carpro Iron x or Carchem Revolt

I'm a big fan of autofinesse oblitarate gets tar off in no time at all, I spray all the tar spots on the car, by the time I've got back to where I've started I can just wipe them off with a microfibre!

For iron particles I use autofinesse iron out stinks awful but good stuff