Advice please. Buying an A4 2.0 TFSI

cheapshots

Reaction score
Hi there,

I'm new to this forum and after my BMW got stolen (long story) I'm thinking about moving over to the world of Audi.

I came across an Audi A4 2.0 TFSI SE S Tronic Quattro 2013 44k, full Audi service history, and reading the tech spec has blown me away. This car packs some serious punch!

I appreciate this is a very broad questions but are there any pitfalls I should look out for? Any timing chain/belt issues? Should the gearbox fluid be changed at certain mileage? Is this car affected by the oil consumption issue that I've read about?

I'll inspect the service book when I see the car hopefully tomorrow.

Thanks for any help
smile.gif

Cheapshots

2013 cars not affected by oil issue. I would change the timing chain at 80,000 miles or so as precautionary measure. It doesn't break but it can stretch with disastrous consequences (so can BMW chains!)
S-tronic gearbox should be serviced at 37,000 miles.

As John says if the Stronic fluid has not been changed at 37k I wouldnt touch it. As that is the main issue that could cause serious financial pain should it fail Audi will wriggle out of warranty claims if it hasnt been done pretty much bang on 37k. Also be prepared to make regular stops at your local petrol station as they like a drink!

On paper urban is 33.2 mpg, extra urban is 50.4 mpg... which in reality probably means 26 and 40 mpg respectively.

I can live with that. I'm more worried about other major pitfalls with the car. From what I've read and from your help on this forum, it seems like (dare I say it) generally a decent motor.

What is the Spec of the car out of interest

This is what they've listed:

Audi A4 2.0 TFSI SE S Tronic Quattro 4dr
Navigation, leather interior, Voice Control for Telephone Functions, Rear Acoustic Parking Sensors, 3 - Zone Climate Control, Cruise Control, DAB Digital Radio Reception, 17in x 7.5J 5 - Spoke Design Alloy Wheels with 225/50 R17 Tyres and Locking Wheel Bolts, Bluetooth Interface Electric Front and Rear Windows, Thatcham Category 1 Alarm, Colour Drivers Information System (DIS), Rain Sensor, Concert Radio - Single CD Drive and SDHC Memory Card Reader which are Both MP3 - AUX - IN Connection - 6.5in Colour Centre Display

Slightly off topic here, but the wife is in love with the Q5... I'm fighting for the A4!

What do you think of Q5 2.0 TFSI SE S Tronic Quattro 5dr, 2010 60k.... reading into it, I think this is one of the engines affected by the oil consumption issue.

Have you looked at s lines or black editions in comparison or are they out of budget?

Reactions: feva
Oh and I'd go for the A4 too over the q5. Newer, less miles and less risk of the oil consumption issue

Have you considered a slightly older car to get a higher spec?

Have you considered a slightly older car to get a higher spec?
My last car (BMW 5 series) - was an older car with more spec but as a result of its age/mileage it meant I made frequent trips to the garage. So I've learnt my lesson :)

That's fair enough. Mine is a 2011 with a fairly high spec, MMI 3G High, black edition, sunroof, parking system plus with reverse camera, xenons. These are all options I couldnt live without but I totally understand if a newer car is more important to you than the options