Advise on purchasing an S3

bigshout

Reaction score
Hi all, I've just sold my lovely BMW 328i sport which I had modified over the last 2.5 years and with the help of the very popular www.e36coupe.com forum gained alot of knowledge about BMW's and hope to do the same with the S3 Audi.

I'm new to this forum and the Audi S3 so thought I would ask all of you knowledgable audi gurus if you could point out some points to look out for when looking for an S3 in terms of issues or specs. I would also like to know if there were any revision updates between the models other than the engine BHP upgrade from 2001 i think, I have noticed the rear lights are different from 2000 I think? I'm ideally looking around the £12k to £15k range. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Hi Bigshout, Welcome to the Forum!

Just a quick note to say that S3's were facelifted in 2000 X/Y plate and the BHP increase occured around late 2001.

Have a Look at this thread for more info Audi S3 Buying guide /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Hi Mate just made the same jump that you are about to do just over a month ago, 2001 Y (facelift) Black S3 210, used to be on e36coupe and bmwcarmagazine myself, ash328is I was back then /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Would def get the facelift, lots of nice touches to this model, as for 210 or 225 bhp IIR there is no performance difference as far as book figures go and if you are going to chip it, as I am in the new year (as most have done on here) then don't let the difference bother you.
Just try and get the best you can for the cash and a warranty if possible (Audi approved used car network is good for this)

Oh and welcome /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Hi Bigshout,
Thaere's plenty for sale on 'The Trading Post'

Mine included........

Hi Bigshout
Welcome to the forum. If i may draw your attention to the Trading Post where I believe you will find a rather special S3 that falls right into your £12000to £15000 category. I believe it was put up for sale by a splendid chap named GBH (thoroughly nice guy) I believe the car has already been heavily modified but it might be just what you're looking for. TYhere is also an endorsement from Ess_three, resident S3 guru, so it must be considered a great buy at just £12.5K. I hope you find what you're looking for.
Cheers
GBH

Sounds really nice! Satnav was an option (it maybe the one which displays in the DIS rather than the screen though - you need to check).

As for Yellow, I think it is one of the best colours for the S3. Do a search on here, loads of pics of yellow S3's. They look very nice with the RSTT's IMO.

Also check who chipped it. The miles sound nice and low and you have got a few extras so I think the price is good.

Cheers
Rich.