Aerial cables - new build

JayA3sline

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Evening all

Recently moved into your typical new build property (5 years old). Very modern etc etc. however I did notice that when I ventured into the loft the aerial cables for all the upstairs bedrooms were just coiled up by the aerial. Obviously I want to get these connected ASAP, there is one connected which I assume is the downstairs as that's the only TV the last owner would of had installed and I have Sky now so obviously doesn't require this aerial.

Surely from the build 5 years ago they would of connected the coaxial to the wall plug just clearly left disconnected in the loft. Hopefully the picture will get my point across clearer. Any ideas how to connect these up?

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1419724342295865
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1419724355118765

its the same for all builds, its a wonder that aerial is actually working with the wait it is facing, all you need is a 6way aerial amp if you want them all connected, but it would need to be powered so you would need a plug socket up there aswell.

all the aerial sockets in the rooms will be connected to the cables too,

will need 7 of these

http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/maplin-metal-twist-on-ct100-f-plug-fu04e

and one of these

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SLX-GOLD-...t=UK_ConElec_TVAerials_RL&hash=item46102d5d74

real easy to put them connectors on aswell :)
Just read the reviews on the Amazon 6 way and apparently F types can't be used it has to be screw in type. Either way this makes sense now. Will just have to tap into the light supply to provide a socket up there.

Thanks for your help, I would of thought after 5 years old it would of been done but I guess the previous owner probably never used all the aerials OR he pinched the amp!

f type are screw in, they are perfectly fine :) and less chance of failing than the RF type (push in), been fitting aerials near on 10 years :)

Good to hear someone in the trade to be answering my problems! Will need a bracket too to mount the aerial too I guess and face it out the tiles instead of my next doors wall haha. I haven't notice before because Sky was installed the very first day I moved in so never had the TV on before hand

yea, its like it in every new build i go in, its daft, but yea, you can find cheaper amps but as said needs to be powered :) with the aerial, look outside to see which way all other aerials are facing and just string yours up high up, saves getting a bracket, its not asif it is windy up there so will be fine, will just need a longer piece of coax to go from the aerial to the amp :) where abouts are you?

True, didn't even think of stringing it. Little jobs like this should be done, although I guess builders would see it outside their scope of works on new sites. I'm down south, kent. No doubt your 300 miles away up north?

yea im in preston 20mins from blackpool ha, so a tad far, its stupid as they put the aerial faceplates on but yet leave the aerials and amps, thats what i was getting called out for was to fit an aerial and amp and a coax from the back of the sky box to the amp to run sky around the house easy money for 30mins work as i tuned all the tellys in too would only take 10mins for the sparky to wire the amp up aswell and would only cost the builder say £10 extra per house as they would be buying the amps in bulk

Bet you was loving them cushty numbers! Well they're only going to keep getting popped up in the future so stay in the trade! Thanks again anyway, little jobs like this cost a bomb, always something cropping up that should be done that you don't take into account.

No doubt I'll be replying to this thread if something crops up, so stay alert haha! As I will be getting stressed out!

its easy mate, dont worry :) there are how to vid on youtube on how to put the connector on, they use cutters but you can use a stanley knife, just make sure you dont have any of the outer braiding touching the stinger (thick copper in the middle) otherwise youll get problems :)

Yeah I can do wiring no issues, just get disorientated easily. Just done bit research on adding socket to the loft and its a pain from where to tap into, electrical regs and all that! Have you dealt with something like this which I've seen on a forum:-

"Screwfix do a Labgear kit that does not require power in the loft. Its called remote power. See item 30624. This utilises a small transformer that is mounted next to a socket by a TV. The coax aerial cable from the TV is then looped in to the transformer and out again to the aerial coax socket. So one of the TVs aerial coax is the power supply to the splitter amplifier in the loft, hence remote supply. This may be a better option for you. The connections on the splitter and the transformer are F type so you would need a few F plugs to be able to connect the coax cables on to the equipment. Its not too difficult to do. See item 17061 twist on F plugs. You might also find a coax to F plug converter useful for the leads supplied with the TV, see item 73805.

Other than that if you want to use the kit you have seen in the supermarket then you will have to supply power in the loft and this would be more difficult. Unfortunately the lighting circuits in the loft cannot be used for a socket. If you can determine whether there is a switched FCU to either of the fans and these are on a power circuit then you could add a socket to the load side of it quite safely as the loft amplifier will draw hardly any current and it would be perfectly safe. You should not do this if the FCU is on a lighting circuit.

There is one acceptable solution to installing power off the lighting circuit. Spur off the lighting circuit in to an FCU fitted with a 3A fuse. Cut the plug off the flex supplying the amplifier and install on to FCU."

yea that would work fine :) similar to if you wanted sky around your house as the aerial feed would go into the sky box then out of the rf2 output on the back of the box up to the aerial amp in the loft, the rf2 feed runs 9volts down the cable to power an amp and to power the tv links (magic eyes) im yet to wire my house for aerials yet only has the one down to the lounge :(

So your giving all this advice and you haven't even done your own! That would be the first thing I'd do! Cheers bud. I'm on it...

hi i know, i need to wire mine from scratch tho, have to put all my wires in :( but will be hiding it in the walls, need to empty my loft before i can do it, been living here 4yrs now and still not done it :D

All this house DIY and no time to clean the Audi - definitely bad times!!

i know, its black and should be red :'( will be getting it cleaned tomoz tho i think :D need to fix my celica too haha no time for anything anymore :(

Alright mate, me again! So I've bought that kit and fitting it now. Just a question about the coaxial at the back of the sky+ box, am I right in saying that a cable needs to go from the wall aerial socket to the Orange audio out coaxial point on the box? If not, there are no available ports at the back. When Sky installed it last week they used 2 aerial cables for dish input 1 & 2. So I assume these cannot be removed as they're linked to the sky dish outside and because I want to hook Sky up around the rooms Id like to use this point for the power supply provided with the kit.

Any suggestions?

No the coax out is for sound to an amp. U will need to get a cable from the back of the sky box with an rf connector and barrel and put it onto rf2 out on the back of the box. There will be 3 connectors on the back of the box virtical with aerial in, rf1 and rf2. You will need to go in the secret settings in the box aswell to turn rf2 on for you to be able to watch sky around the house

Nothing on the other end of the box?. Maybe all the new boxes dont have rf out now like they used to :S what u can get is coax to hdmi converters from maplins :)

Nope everything in the picture is what's there. Just done bit more reading apparently the new Sky+ HD boxes don't have the RF out anymore that's why they sell the I/O port converter. At the minute trying to establish which of the downstairs ports is fed directly from the aerial. Natural instincts says TV but the other 2 ports says radio and return.., what's the return?

Return will go back up to the lost. The radio is for and amp if you had one. Basically the return would.be used for rf2 :)

Well I've tried all combinations and cannot get any reception on my TV when trying to tune from the conditions on the quadplexed plate. So what I'm going to do tomo. Is remove the aerial cable that is in the aerial at the moment and put all the cables into the 8 way amp output. Make a new link up and attach that directly to the aerial and the other end into the input of the amp. Hopefully that will work as all ends will be connected and the aerial has a direct/short path to the amp.