After A3, what next?

yak

Reaction score
Since lots of faces have changed here, I think it's safe to say that many who bought the A3 in 2003/2004 have changed to something else already. Only few faces like bowfer and Dave are still left ;)

So what have people traded to? My A3 is reaching it's fourth birthday in September, so it's about time to change (not to mention all sorts of problems I've had with it). I just can't find anything that would really turn me on, since I'm not looking for a big car (I drive 90% of the time alone, if not more), but not some Nissan Micra either ;)

So considering about the same price point (of new A3), any suggestions? BMW 1-Series is a no-no, besides the diesel engine, there's nothing positive in that car. Golf GTI is getting new chassis next year I think? So that would cost a lot to own for those few years :(

So mm.. I'm open to suggestions what to try ;). Next A3 is still years away I think (2009-2010?), and I'm not so sure if I want to buy it the day it comes out like this one ;)

- Yak

Had my A3 2.0FSI Sport for 3 and a half years now, served me well, 57k+ miles on the clock.

Just ordered an S3 to replace it :) Sprint blue, RS4 18's, FBS, bucket seats etc.

Cant wait! Once its run in I'll do the exhaust, intake, ECU etc. it'll be pushing 330+bhp, bit of a step up from the 150bhp 2.0FSI!

Hello Yak

Haven't heard from you for a while. Nice to know your still on the forum. As you may well have seen I've charged from a 3-door A3 2.0ITD-140 to a Sportback A3 2.0TDI-170, still with a DSG of course. Really like the new car! A few extra goodies on the new one, Xenon headlights, DRLs, electric driver's seat controls, Symphony II+ radio, Flat tyre warning otherwise much of the same. Same colour as well.

Could always get a new Skoda Octavia VRS. Saw a new one 2nights ago and it looked really really good!

wouldn't class xenons as goodies.... i had them on my old A3 (04) and they were great but they sure have ruined them with these bi-xenon jobs that rattle around ad wobble like vauxhall nova headlights!

wouldn't class xenons as goodies.... i had them on my old A3 (04) and they were great but they sure have ruined them with these bi-xenon jobs that rattle around ad wobble like vauxhall nova headlights!

An A3 I drove around the time I bought my 2004 A3 and before Audi fitted Bi-Xenons, the dip-beam only Xenoms used to 'bounce' quite a lot. This was the main reason I did not specify them on my 2004 car.

But when I tried a 2006 car fitted with Bi-Xenons before I ordered my current Sportback they seemed fine - no bounce at all. And my current Sportback is just the same - no bounce at all. The only time they move is when they first come on, usually with the car in the garage when the auto-lights system puts them on. They move down to their lowest position and then back up to their normal operating position and thats it. Even when I first drive along the road out of our cul-de-sac where there are a number of speed cushions they remain steady. No noticably movement at all on smooth or bumpy or rough roads. Very happy with them.

steve184 said:

I would at £700 a go

I think the bi-xenon are really good. Full beam is alot better.

h5djr said:
Haven't heard from you for a while. Nice to know your still on the forum.

Yea, I still read occasionally, but rarely reply since I might not have time to follow the discussion and follow-ups.. And questions are often related to more powerful models which weren't even available when I bought mine ;)

Looks like lots of people have just traded to newer A3, but while something like S3 would be nice, it's not really an option to me, since 52000e as a starting price is too much to spend on a small car, at least for me.

Dave, did you have any need for those extra doors in Sportback, or did you just select it to have something 'different' than the 3dr?

Most likely people who traded to something else left the forums, so I guess I'll never get the reply from them ;). But perhaps from some people, who just bought their car and considered some options?

Dave, did you have any need for those extra doors in Sportback, or did you just select it to have something 'different' than the 3dr?

The main reason I went for the Sportback was two-fold. One, my 89 year old Mother was finding it increasingly difficult to get in and out of the back of the 3-dr and two, because my wife and I are now both retired, we tend to being going out with our friends (who are also retired) more and it's easier for everyone with the extra doors.

When the Sportback first came out I still preferred the 3-dr for looks and the name - Sportback - put me off a bit. But certianly the looks have grown on me and I now quite like it. Still think the name is a bit silly.

moved from an A3 3.2Q dsg to a new mkii TT 3.2Q. wanted to stick with audi but didnt fancy anything else in the range: Q7 butt ugly, A4 new one coming soon, A5 just not sure about it, A6 not old enough yet, A8 bigger than my house, R8 in my dreams!!

yak said:
Since lots of faces have changed here, I think it's safe to say that many who bought the A3 in 2003/2004 have changed to something else already. Only few faces like bowfer and Dave are still left ;)

Im still here, after my first A3 I bought a better more powerful TDI one and then after that fancied a change and went for a Golf GTI. Miss the A3's quality and cool toys but the GTI is so much better handling and lighter...

I'm thinking of going back to a Golf. I had a MK5 GTi and still miss it but not the rattles and bits falling off.
Had 2 A3's since but would take a chance on the Golf again. MK5 GTi DSG or R32 DSG decisions decisions..

yak said:
So considering about the same price point (of new A3), any suggestions? BMW 1-Series is a no-no, besides the diesel engine, there's nothing positive in that car. Golf GTI is getting new chassis next year I think? So that would cost a lot to own for those few years :(

There's a myriad of choices out there.
If you don't keep up with the motoring world,buy a car mag.
'What car' list cars by price,so you should be able to easily see what's available in the same price range.
They'll also tell you what's due to come out from other manfacturers in the forseeable future.
There really is nothing worse than buying a car,only to find out something else would have been available only two months down the line.
Personally,even if I didn't have any problems with my A3,I would be looking at something different.
It's partly because the A3 isn't actually an involving drive,but partly because I don't believe in going for the same thing again.
Variety is the spice of life,after all.
I've only once gone for a new version of what I had before,and it made the whole new car experience incredibly dull.
Looking at the same interior just took all the usual excitement out of a new car.

With regard to old faces,I'll only be here for another 6 months max,then the A3 will be goneski.
I'd imagine David will be here for a few years yet though.... ;-)

Another A3 Sportback for me too... and DSG again :)

2.0TFSi rather than diesel this time though.

Something totaly different to consider ... Volvo C30 with the D5 engine

SteveTDCi said:

Absolutely.
If I were able to make do with 3 doors,that would be near the top of my list.
No word of a 5 door version yet though,unfortunately.

SteveTDCi said:

While it would sound like a good choice, have you actually driven one? It was even less entertaining than my A3. And with FWD version having nearly the price of A3TFSI with Q, there's just something wrong.

Diesel isn't economical choice in Finland, with my mileages it's actually more expensive per year (we pay diesel tax) than petrol. D5 ends up in price to same region as T5, and both without 4WD. Snow & Ice + ~200bhp in two wheels?

And to bowfer, no I don't really agree with having lots of choices. Market for say 'premium' cars are pretty limited when it comes to smaller cars. I'd never buy a Toyota for example, since I'd regret it everyday. Same for any "this is just a tool to get work" car which don't light up my smile everyday. At least my A3 looks good, and while not being a sports car, it still drives miles better than most small cars. And if I want to drive sporty, it's either 4WD or then bike (which is fine for 4 months per year) due to conditions, so ..

Of course this being a UK forum, your perspective differs, you don't deal with real winter conditions, which makes many nice choices useless. And also causes too much strain on some cars, for example outgoing Ford Mondeo (which is too big to me, but as an example) has the worst rust problems out of any same age car.

- Yak

bowfer said:
There's a myriad of choices out there.

As noted previously, I disagree. And I keep up with car magazines, I just haven't seen something nice in my sector. Maybe I've missed something?

It's partly because the A3 isn't actually an involving drive,but partly because I don't believe in going for the same thing again.

Well, going for same again. I could go for new A3, if it would be launched soon. I don't think it's the same anymore as a car, but yea, buying another A3, it would have to something very special to make it feel like something new.

Looking at the same interior just took all the usual excitement out of a new car.

Well, I don't think old A3 and new A3 for example share much of the same ;). Same badge is hardly something same ;)

With regard to old faces,I'll only be here for another 6 months max,then the A3 will be goneski.

Pöh ;)

I am considering a MK5 Golf gti or anniversary in the next year or so once I finish Uni!

Looking at a 2nd hand Lamborghini Gallardo for a second runabout as I don't expect R8 is going to be available for a while yet as a 2nd hand unit.

tomsinclair said:
Looking at a 2nd hand Lamborghini Gallardo for a second runabout as I don't expect R8 is going to be available for a while yet as a 2nd hand unit.

Not for Orkney driving,surely ?!?!?

I'm pretty disappointed with the whole Audi and 'premium' product thing so I doubt I'll get another. Tricky to say what I'll get next as I've still got nearly two years left and who knows what will be available by then. The way VAG are going I wouldn't imagine it will be one of their offerings.