After an A8

saxonblue

Reaction score
i am thinking of getting an A8, I'v had LOTS of Audis over the years, everything from old 80-90 to A4s A6s and cads,
But after the recent theft of my A5,I am after somthing with a lot of luxury plus all the toys and a big bit of power wouldn't go amiss either, I think I'll go for a diesel, just because of the mpg so I am looking at A8s
Can't decide whether to go for the power and grin factor I will get from a 4.2 TDI Quattro, or whether to go for the 3 L TDI, what should I go far in your opinion What should I avoid, please help as I can't make my mind up

Last edited:
More information on what you intend buying would be good. Age-new or used?

Watch out for injector problems and chain rattle. Test all the electronics and make sure everything works. Suspension could need work at that age-air so can be pricey. FSH or walk away-plenty about. The one in the link looks good especially with the warranty.

Reactions: saxonblue
If you test drive the 4.2 TDI then I promise you will not buy the 3.0 :racer:

Reactions: rad79
Just had my offer of the insurance , a miserly £8310!!!
But it's enough to get me a motor, don't have that much put away what with it being just before Christmas that my car got nicked, and my insurance are Gona love me know I'v made a claim,,,,
Think I'm Gona go for the 3.0 tdi coz it's problerbly all I can afford at the mo,
Not that I am bothered by that, I think there up to the job no problem, would Love the extra umph of the big 4.2, but the tax is killer,
I Dant get behind the wheel of 1 tho, or its Gona take a shoehorn and some grease to get me out, lol

Not sure on the DPF. On the A6 it was around 2007 but you can find out from the spec on the car. If you get the codes from the sticker and input them into one of the online decoders it should tell you-something like 7GG-euro compliant 4 with particulate filter.

@saxonblue

I've got 2006 A8 4.2TDI and it's great! The V8 is so much more fun then V6 3.0TDI. It just make the car special. If you get one registered before 13th (I think) March 2006 then road tax is same as 3.0TDI (£290/year). For £8,500 you should be able to get good pre face lift example from 2006. Otherwise try post-lift (late 2007) 3.0TDI.

just spotted a 4.2 on autotrader, its a 07, but its dun 160.000 miles, duz come with 1 months warranty on it and 12 months mot...
its gona cost £210 EXTRA to amend my insurance till July 31st,then its all starts again, where as a 3.0 tdi will only be £37.32, so a big difference there,
MUST ADMIT...I AM VERY ..VERY TEMPTED , just need to think of the mileage, is 160k a problem?, plus can I justify the extra dosh, but ohhhhhhh the bhp, is so calling my name, what's the difference in servicing cost between the 4.2 and the 3.0?

what is the price? 160k is a lot. not for the engine as both 3.0tdi and 4.2tdi seems to be bulletproof but it will be hard to sell it later for a decent price.

07 is still pre-lift one so maybe better search for 2005-2006 with lower mileage and cheaper road tax?

I am not a mechanic and I service my own 4.2tdi it is very easy and takes me a couple of hours to do it all and well under £100.
At 160 000 you will need to check if it has had the suspension bushings done and the air compressor for suspension and the struts. 1 of them or all will have had to have been done or you will get a hefty repair bill soon at those miles if you are not a DIY er. Mine is on 90,000 miles and I have just changed my compressor and waiting or preparing for when the front upper control arms need doing on the suspension. I'm hoping I don't have any leaks in the struts and have to get them done. Unless you can be shown the work that has been done or that car is dirt cheap I would try and go for a lower milage so at least you will have fun clocking those miles up. At 160 000 miles you must be thinking of keeping and running for as long as possible. there are a few on the other forums that have 200 000 miles plus on theirs but they are not scared to get their hands dirty and keep them well mantained.

@cocain

where do you live? Just looking for someone to take a look at suspension in my A8 and guys in my area could not find anything wrong but something doesn't feel as it should I think.....

I live in High Wycombe, Buckinghamshire but I would be no good or unqualified, a better word, to look at your suspension. I too will have to go to my local garage to have my suspension looked at. Everything i know about my car is from the forums. regarding the work i have done is purely from looking at youtube and following tutorials. You will know when the bushings have gone as you may hear a knocking when you go over bumps and some say there is a hooting type of sound if they are on the way out. You should be able to see a tear/ rip/ crack in them or any of the rubber parts in the suspension set up for a hint that they have seen better days. I took mine in for an inspection the other day but they were fine but in the next year I will get them done together with the sway bar as this is one of the things on the D3 that WILL go. If I had a garage space and more tools I would definitely have a go at this myself as i have seen that it is not that hard technically to do but you could run into problems trying to undo siezed bolts. Even changing out one of the struts does not look that hard. The problem seems to be finding what the culprit is from the symptoms you have.
I did my compressor myself because i knew I had a problem as the error lights came in instrument cluster. i took it out and serviced it with a kit and it worked well for around 6 months but then got really loud so i took it out and replaced it. So far so good. If you think something does not feel right then it probably isn't right. If you are not too far or in the area then we can meet up and compare cars but I definitely cannot promise that i will have anything of an expert opinion to give you.

Reactions: rad79
thanks for reply and offer @cocain but I live in Edinburgh, Scotland so not too close unfortunately....