Aftermarket Audi Reverse parking sensors stopped working, help please?

Bailey

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I have the aftermarket Genuine Audi reverse parking sensors fitted on my car and recently they have stopped working.

There is no beeping at all when I put it in reverse gear so they are completely dead at the moment.

I am thinking that it could possibly be a fuse gone within the fuse box, what do you guys think?

I have checked the owners manual for the guide to what's what in both fuse boxes in the car but this device isn't listed

Does anyone know which fuse it could be? Does anyone know what it could be?

Any help at all would be appreciated.

Thanks

Bailey

Bailey, the most likely problem is that one of the sensors (in the bumper) is not working. Switch on the ignition, put the gear in reverse and go around the back. Place your ear against each of the sensors. You should hear a slight clicking sound on each one. If one has no sound, then that one has failed or has a connector problem, hence no beep. However, if none of them are clicking, then check the fuse. In my Haynes manual, it looks like a 5 amp fuse in position F18 (in-car fusebox). Cannot garantee that is the fuse number, but 5 amps is probably right. If there is no fuse in F18 (Parking aid), then look for other 5 amp fuses and check them all. Good luck.

If they are the aftermarket genuine ones they get their feed from the 12v reverse wire, which as the chap above said, it'll be most likely down to a single sensor at fault.

And if you can't get them sorted mate I have a brand new set of the aftermarket Audi ones on the bay at the moment with all cables and instructions only £50.

Hi guys,

Thanks for the suggestions, I have put the car in reverse and turned the ignition on and I cant hear any clicking sound through any of the rear sensors at all.

Ontop of that when I put it into reverse there is no short "beep" like there used to be.

I have checked in fuse position F18 and there is no fuse but in looking closer there are no metal contacts present to even put a fuse in this position. I have checked all the 5A fuses and none are blown too.

there is another 30A fuse sort of hot wired into there as well which is quite odd but that hasnt blown.

I have taken a few piccys to see what you people think.

IMG_1058.jpg

IMG_1057.jpg

Cheers

Bailey

Bailey, when you select reverse gear, the rear sensors first of all go through a check. If one or more sensors are not working, or if they are not connected properly, there will be no 'beep'. I am sure that these sensors do not need much current to operate them, so 5 amp fuse seems adequate. 30 amps would seem far too much. It now looks likely that there is a wiring or contact problem. I am not sure how the sensors are wired, but if possible try to trace the wiring loom and see if there is a connector that is not making proper contact. I am sure that a member of this forum who has fitted these sensors would know where to look. Other than that, the only other thing I can suggest is the reverse light switch which should trigger the sensors. Do the reversing lights illuminate properly? Anybody know if sensor faults show up in a VCDS scan?

Bailey, when you select reverse gear, the rear sensors first of all go through a check. If one or more sensors are not working, or if they are not connected properly, there will be no 'beep'. I am sure that these sensors do not need much current to operate them, so 5 amp fuse seems adequate. 30 amps would seem far too much. It now looks likely that there is a wiring or contact problem. I am not sure how the sensors are wired, but if possible try to trace the wiring loom and see if there is a connector that is not making proper contact. I am sure that a member of this forum who has fitted these sensors would know where to look. Other than that, the only other thing I can suggest is the reverse light switch which should trigger the sensors. Do the reversing lights illuminate properly? Anybody know if sensor faults show up in a VCDS scan?

How do I trace the wiring loom? sorry but when it comes to electrical bits in cars I am a bit of a noob.

The reverse lights illuminate properly yes

Cheers

Bailey

Faults wouldnt show in VCDS as they arent connected to the can-bus, they're just aftermarket kits with a vw part number.

The most common install point is the passenger rear quater, the connection itself is simply 2 wires; a ground and a 12v live which is tapped into the reverse wire.

The aftermarket kits arent installed at factory, theyre installed by dealerships so there should be signs of the install.. I'd start by removing the passenger tail light cluster and see if you can see a single red (presumably) wire tapped into another wire, which is the reverse wire.

Usually when a sensors fails you'll get a long beep at the start to alert you to the fault.. If there are no beeps whatsoever Id say the problem lies with the ground/live connection or simply a broken module.

I have just stripped both my back lights off and there are no wires tapped into the reverse wire at all as far as I am aware. :(

Here is the back of my car to see if this helps:

IMG_0047.jpg

Excuse the pic of the lights here, I was fitting the new MY09's on so there is one on and one off lol

IMG_0046.jpg

Cheers

Bailey

Contrary to what has been posted, my car has reverse sensors indicated on the option numbers in the boot and in the owner's manual. It is '7X1 Ultrasonic Distance Control'. So it seems to be factory fitted.

Yup they're certainly aftermarket sensors so they will be tapped into a reverse wire somewhere along the line.

How is the best way to find where they are tapped into the reverse line?

Ta

Contrary to what has been posted, my car has reverse sensors indicated on the option numbers in the boot and in the owner's manual. It is '7X1 Ultrasonic Distance Control'. So it seems to be factory fitted.

Reverse sensors were a factory option, but the look of the sensors on the OP's A3 (non-flush) shows that they aren't a factory option and that they are the aftermarket option.

If it was a dealer fit it could be well hidden.. ie, the wire is tapped in but then securely strapped in by tape etc, you could go ahead and inspect the tape, see if you can see a single wire by itself amongst the wiring. You could also take a look in the rear quaters, see if you can see the module itself.

Reverse sensors were a factory option, but the look of the sensors on the OP's A3 (non-flush) shows that they aren't a factory option and that they are the aftermarket option.

If it was a dealer fit it could be well hidden.. ie, the wire is tapped in but then securely strapped in by tape etc, you could go ahead and inspect the tape, see if you can see a single wire by itself amongst the wiring. You could also take a look in the rear quaters, see if you can see the module itself.

The rear light wires are taped up so I will check these tomorrow, I will also take pics as well so you can see.

Whats the best way to remove the rear quarters to check the module?