Aftermarket double din?

tr1ck

Reaction score
I currently have the audi concert double din unit with the little audi sub in the boot and the amped rear speakers.
I've been looking to install an aftermarket double din. Has anyone done this or can anyone recommend one?
What wiring adapters etc would I need?
Thanks

I've got a Pioneer 8400BT installed in mine, sounds a lot better than the standard Audi headunit (night and day difference!). If I remember right there's 2 different wiring harness's for them, one if you have the Bose speakers and the other if its the standard speakers. The Pioneer headunit needed an aftermarket cage too that slotted into the existing double din slot in the dash. It was a user on here by the name of 'Ash187' that helped me out fitting mine!

I'm sure there's other good headunit's out there, the Pioneer one suited me nicely as when used with the iphone cable it reads all the songs and also displays GPS apps on the screen. Don't be fooled by the 'RNSE or nothing!' attitude that some people have, aftermarket ones have some nice features the only downside being they don't tie in as nicely with some of the cars features (Phone button on the steering wheel for example).

Awesome seen ashes install on his site looks cool nice bit of oem+
Where your purchase from ? And do your other steering wheel controls work like volume and tunning ?
Have you noticed diminished radio reception ?
thanks

I don't have steering wheel controls so that won't be a problem. I already have a parrot kit wired in so hopefully that won't be a problem. Where did you get the wiring adapter from?

I've got a Pioneer 8400BT installed in mine, sounds a lot better than the standard Audi headunit (night and day difference!). If I remember right there's 2 different wiring harness's for them, one if you have the Bose speakers and the other if its the standard speakers. The Pioneer headunit needed an aftermarket cage too that slotted into the existing double din slot in the dash. It was a user on here by the name of 'Ash187' that helped me out fitting mine!

I'm sure there's other good headunit's out there, the Pioneer one suited me nicely as when used with the iphone cable it reads all the songs and also displays GPS apps on the screen. Don't be fooled by the 'RNSE or nothing!' attitude that some people have, aftermarket ones have some nice features the only downside being they don't tie in as nicely with some of the cars features (Phone button on the steering wheel for example).

You got any pictures of your install?

I do have a MFSW, the volume and track wheels work perfectly but two big buttons do nothing (although they didn't do anything with the standard head unit either!). I got most of the bits I needed from the Dynamic Sounds website other than the aftermarket cage which was from eBay.

The radio reception isn't quite as good as standard as the headunit can only use one aerial rather than the two with the standard one, but it still picks up most stations fine around my area.

I'll dig out some links and get a few pictures when I get home from work.

Reactions: nally
Okay thanks. Can you not use the cage that comes with the aftermarket unit?

You probably could, but you also need the fascia plate to clip over the front to fill the shape of the standard headunit otherwise it will look horrible! I bought a kit which included the facia and an adjustable cage with allows you to set how far in or out you want the headunit to sit, so you can get it sitting flush with the dash if you like.

Here's a couple of pics:
IMG_1249_zps60f4b3ae.jpg

IMG_1245_zpsa9cd3da1.jpg

I have my iphone cable running into the area from the ashtray delete I fitted. Much nicer than having the ashtray there!

That does look smart. I take it as I don't have Bose is need a different wiring adapter.
Need to make a list sometime of everything I need

ebay for adaptors.

I am picking my double din up this weekend, just got a single din in there at the moment.

I am going for a DAB unit though to get rid of the need for messing around with aerial amps.

I will also be taking my leads to the glove box etc.

What you getting ?
i an thinking of the nav and DAB version it's like £800
Then £100 for fitting kit abs another £100 for Rear camera and adaptor : (
not cheap

Alright mate, i too have the Pioneer 8400 BT and have reverse camera along with the iphone and ipod connected to mine and also have a MFSW and Bose all working perfect.

the kit you want really depends on what year car you have and what the original connectors are, but i have found this kit on ebay which has pretty much everything you need:
AUDI A3 8P 03+ COMPLETE DOUBLE DIN STEREO FITTING KIT | eBay

You probably could, but you also need the fascia plate to clip over the front to fill the shape of the standard headunit otherwise it will look horrible! I bought a kit which included the facia and an adjustable cage with allows you to set how far in or out you want the headunit to sit, so you can get it sitting flush with the dash if you like.

Here's a couple of pics:
IMG_1249_zps60f4b3ae.jpg

IMG_1245_zpsa9cd3da1.jpg

I have my iphone cable running into the area from the ashtray delete I fitted. Much nicer than having the ashtray there!

Mate you really need to get that more flush!
IMG_2472_zps0d3d2156.jpg

That kit looks pretty decent, I just gotta find which unit to go for! One with built in Bluetooth is a must for me!

Mate you really need to get that more flush!
I prefer it sticking out a bit to be honest, suits the contours of the unit better IMO and makes it more of a center piece!

Where do you have your microphone routed by the way? I have mine behind the glove box, up the pillar and over the roof to position it next to the interior lights but it's picking up so much interference when driving it renders it useless as no one can hear me!

i have an iphone so im going x3500bt pioneer unit, that and i have a contact in pioneer who can sort me out :)

Pioneer are the only company with iphone 5 applink so that sold it for me. I can have my dab and bluetooth and when i want nav i can plug in my iphone and run it from there :)