Aftermarket head unit and canbus

christoph

Reaction score
I've just bought a pioneer HU for my a4 b7 2005 and from what I can work out the standard unit uses a low power signal to turn the radio on so doesn't have a proper ignition live, I've tried a wiring harness adaptor but with no ignition live it doesn't work. Do I really need to buy a canbus adaptor as well? I was thinking easiest option is run a ignition live from somewhere else to the wiring harness and that should work fine. Is this the case? I don't want the battery going flat by wiring permanent live and forgetting to turn unit off. And help greatly appreciated.

You just need to run an ignition feed, you will have a permanent live. Thick black in the fusebox would be my choice, add a inline fuse!

I tend to find that the adapters for the loom need the main power supply and the ignition live wire swapped round the Audi loom will have a live and a ignition live.

Get your self a simple tester (normally a screwdriver with a wire coming out the top with a bulb built in to the handle) the wire will attach to a earth and you just touch the loom looking for live and ignition live.