Aftermarket parking sensors? Anyone done them?

R55 MRU

Reaction score
I don't want to pay Audi prices for oem parking sensors but I've just got my s3 rear bumper Which will be on the car next week. I think I would want parking sensors as the bumper is expensive. Are the aftermarket kits any good? Has anyone got pictures of aftermarket kits fitted to their a3?

im also thinking of getting some fitted to my car too but like wise dont want to be paying the audi prices as they are through the roof , there's plenty of kits around its just finding a good set aint it

How much is it to buy the bumper and sensons/cables from Audi? I'm looking at buying an 07 8P S3, but they don't all have "park assist" (including the one currently at the top of my wish list). Is it just a plug and play deal, or is there a lot of work required to retro-fit a genuine system?

Dont get genuine retrofit kit mixed up with OEM. The retrofit kit, although genuine is designed for Audi dealers to be cut into a normal bumper and has additional mounting parts.

The factory ones use a different bumper, it has special mountings inside that the sensors fit to which makes it near on impossible to fit the factory sensors to a normal bumper.

Although both are genuine, the retrofit kit is much more suitable as you dont have to go to the expense of a new bumper + paint

Can you get a genuine kit from Audi and take it somewhere else to get installed? I'm not a fan of paying Audi's labour rates.

Can you get a genuine kit from Audi and take it somewhere else to get installed? I'm not a fan of paying Audi's labour rates.

Of course you can - just go to the parts department and buy the kit (it may have to be ordered but should only take a couple of days) and then go anywhere you fancy to have it fitted.

However, wherever you take it, I should make sure they know what they are doing first !!

OEM's advantage is it connects to the canbus so you have addition of diagnosis & depending on whats fitted to car, funtions in the DIS.

The retrofit kit doesnt have these features.

OEM's advantage is it connects to the canbus so you have addition of diagnosis & depending on whats fitted to car, funtions in the DIS.

The retrofit kit doesnt have these features.

Suppose it depends how much you want to pay. Seems like a new bumper (and painting) is required with OEM.

got some black ones off ebay for 8 quid in gloss black. with the bi bi bi warning system dont like the led display ones.

Hooked them up to a 12v supply and seem to work okay. not paying over 200 quid for a set that does the same thing to be honest.

Yes I do these things but you're a fair way up there chap & it wouldnt be a £100 job thats for sure, I'd be happy to come up & do if it was economical for me, I can source parts aswell, PM me if interested.

Also ref Lee's comment, I have fitted oem sensors to bumpers with no existing fixings, its a pedantic/intricate job but certainly not that impossible.

Last edited: