Aftermarket radio problem with VAG-COM?

Dean_T

Reaction score
Website
www.talkaudio.co.uk
i was reading the ross-tech site and came across something mentioned on there regarding aftermarket radios possibly damaging vag-com units at dealers;

http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/aftermarket-radio.html

is this actually true?

anyone had any problems with this at all?

i have my eye on a replacement becker HU but this has put the plains on hold! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

cheers,
Dean

Sounds feasible, but the K BUS on a Concert & Symphony is opposite the switched power connector (3 along from the perm live), and this is unused by most head units so I don't see how this could end up shorted to 12v.
Both our Audi's have Alpine HU's with no adapters, ISO power lead plugged straight in, and VAG-COM hasn't been effected. I gues if you're using a power ISO adapter of some sort this may be doing something to connect the K BUS to 12v, but you don't need an adapter for power, just possibly need to swap the perm live & switched live over in some cases which can be done using a standard male & female ISO power connector if you don't want to cut the Audi loom. Also it would only produce the 12v if the HU was switched on while the VAG-COM was connected, so as long as the HU is off it can't do any damage.

fantastic, exactly what i wanted to hear /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

i knew lots of people were running aftermarket HUs on here, i just dont want to be in the position of blowing VAG-COMS left, right and centre after changing mine

i need MP3 capability as the constant cd changing in the boot is starting to annoy me