Afternoon with the mad professor!!

If only to demonstrate how seriously I take SAFETY when working on motor vehicles i.e., different tools for different jobs...

However you chose to lift - please think SAFE!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: wickedstef
If only to demonstrate how seriously I take SAFETY when working on motor vehicles i.e., different tools for different jobs...

However you chose to lift - please think SAFE!

Now that has great potential as a hot tub when not in use as a pit. Just swap the lifting apparatus for cocktails!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Moschops and 45bvtc
John, thats a cool looking pit you have there my friend. Did you have it put in at the same time the house was built or is that done afterwards?

No, self-built I'm happy to say Neil. I am a very independent bast### person.

It's actually a GRP liner by Mech-Mate. All (he says) you need to do is dig the hole, fit the liner, and backfill. Then add the illumination and make a suitable 2-piece cover, preferably one you can lift-off (I don't mean lift-off here, I mean provide support to lift off). And there's a seat too...

However, I only added the pit after I'd built this side:

RS3_0028_zps155e1d0d.jpg

Where I learned how to mix compo, lay bricks, and build a suitable roof with a lifting beam to enable me to remove engines, etc. Happy days...

As I said, I've been maintaining Lotus cars since 1972, and others since 1968 when I had to lift the head from my trusty 1148cc Triumph Spitfire (MRE 268B). And I also use the space when writing technical automotive manuals... (e.g. Westfield)

Reactions: Scottyg, CarrG, Vito and 5 others
I am a very independent bast### person.

:icon_thumright: This I 100% accord with, me too!!

Truly impressive John, I like to think it was your Westfield manual that helped me when is managed to detach the propshaft and smash the water pump on mine!

ImageJohn kind of reminds me of my older brother who also is an engineer (he teaches mechanical engineering and cad) he has tools for everything! He also has some tasty aluminium and fibreglass cars to tinker with and always willing to help anyone out must be an engineer thing!

Oh yes Ubbs, that's EXACTLY where I'm at - ticks my box ALL the way....

I like the order too: THE RS3 (an in-line 5-pot), Lamborghini (2 x the same in-line 5-pot), and a Blackpool Special (for side-window fun)

Reactions: Moschops
One of those damp miserable days in 1975 I had this crazy idea that one day I'd need space for an Audi RS3...

RS3_GB_1975_zps8bd5ef3c.jpg

Reactions: Mr_Freeze, wickedstef and Kelza
Indeed! Have asked the question of the Coulsdon Audi workshop manager and will feedback his response next week...

And the feedback Marcus, is? Do Coulsdon recommend using the 4-circular fitting/lift points by the home 'trolley-jack' user or not? I'd love to know Coulsdon's advice here...

And the feedback Marcus, is? Do Coulsdon recommend using the 4-circular fitting/lift points by the home 'trolley-jack' user or not? I'd love to know Coulsdon's advice here...

So would I John but no response to my email so far. However, using the trolley jack I've lifted both front & rear over the weekend to remove the wheels with no issues what so ever. Only thing to watch is a cable located close to the rear points but this is simple to avoid. My conclusion is that if you are just jacking up to remove wheels you really don't need to consider using an adaptor. Something technical about angles, centre of gravity etc!

Reactions: 45bvtc
Deja vu. :D

With 5k miles, My 2012 RS3 mirrored that of Moschops's photos.
Not terrible, but not quite as good as they should be.

Having researched my options, and taken plenty of advice :beerchug:
I settled on a thin coat of POR15 Silver, after lightly cleaned the surfaces by hand.

I am impressed with the results. The POR15 Silver looks fantastic. More importantly to me it "looks Audi" or rather, how it should look.

Next up will be polish the spiders, and treat the rough cast edges.

Reactions: 45bvtc