Air Bag Differences between B6 and B7 models???

Lion Heart

Reaction score
Hi guys

Sorry if this has been covered before, but kind of important for me...

I have a B6 S4 and I'm considering upgrading to a B7 steering wheel with controls (my current wheel has no controls).

My MAIN question is this: is there a difference in the air bag (i.e. single stage and two stage) between standard B6 and B7 models??

If so I'll be thinking twice as not prepared to risk safety by a bag not going off should the worst happen!!

And also would be handy to know: will the steering wheel controls work automatically or do I need to upgrade the wheel ECU?

Any help much appreciated!!!

Lion Heart :thumbsup:

You are correct with the airbag stages the b6 has a single and the b7 a dual. You would also most likely need to change the steering control module,slipring and aquire a wiring loom for the roller buttons to work. i could never understand on a car such as the s4 why they never came with a mfsw

Agree an S4 should have a multi-function wheel as standard!

Are the costs of the control module and other parts extortionate?

And most importantly can you make a two stage airbag a single stage airbag safely and easily???

Lion Heart

The parts arnt that cheap but from a donor vehicle arnt that bad. when i was looking to fit cruise and dis i picked a full set of the parts that are suitable for the mfsw for £140. still have the slipring as i didnt use that because im not doing the steering wheel upgrade. As for the airbag there are people who can do the change although i cant recomend anyone maybe someone will come up with a recomendation