Air con query / problem?

BeagleKCH

Reaction score
I have a B9 TDI 190 Saloon. I have done about 53,000 miles and do have the air con on as standard. Today was the first decent weather. With the ignition on, but the engine off, I can toggle the air con switch to show ON, ECO ON, and OFF lighting up. If I switch the engine on, only OFF will display, the others are greyed out. Needless to say, on OFF I can get no air con. I looked in the manual and it mentioned that I need enough battery and fuel to make air con function. As far as I know, my battery is fine, and i'm certainly not getting any warning lights. I was a bit low on fuel so filled right up. Still no joy. With the engine on, I cannot get air con to switch on. I could find nothing in the manual about re-gassing the air con. Stupid question I know, but could it be as simple as that? I have had no warning lights at all come on and nothing to alert me to a problem. Your thoughts would be welcome.

If an air con system needs re-gassing at the age our cars are, it's leaking.

I've just had the same symptoms as yours cured - I hope - by the replacement of a faulty high pressure switch/sensor.

HI

On my B8, The rear vent was directly linked to the front "in your face" vents. If it was coming out of them, it would come out of the rear, guessing it's the same on the B9, although not had chance to try yet since I got mine.
Setting the front to blow at your face, should increase the rear

it's probably the same?

Just wondering if you found out what the problem was as this same thing has just happened to me.

Yes, I’m afraid I did. I had some holes in the condenser, caused no doubt by stones being thrown up. I’ve only just had it fixed and it cost £576.