Air intake

R222cet

Reaction score
This has been done to death so apologies. I've got an s3 and wanting improve induction I had my mind made up and was going to get the vw racing 1 even tho it's abit pricey. I've read it can be abit restrictive ? My goal is probably stage 2+

So which is the 1 to go for a lot seem to run the revo but how is this with heat soak ? Also if I got the revo I could also get a tts cover and oil/coolant cap all for the price of the vwr so I'm pointing more in that direction now. Any info appreciated

The VWR intake will be quieter than the Revo as the air comes in through the front grill rather than the open cone of the Revo in the engine compartment. You will certainly know that you have an intake fitted with anything that has an open cone from the induction noise.
There is a pipe near the diverter valve that needs shortening on the VWR to stop it rubbing on the "biscuit barrel".
I have a nearly new Neuspeed P - Flo air intake for sale that produced figures of 365 BHP and 379 ft lbs on my S3 at APR stage 2+. Much cheaper than anything new at the moment and better quality than most. Please PM me if you would like further information!
The VWR may rub slightly on the edge of the TTS cover but the Revo fits no problem.
AKS tuning will sell you a pair of aluminium custom made rear mounting bolts for the cover as you cannot buy the originals any longer.

Last edited:
I had the neuspeed on mine, swapped it for the vwr one. I prefer the quieter vwr intake but it depends on what you are after, i had to turn my coolant hose round a bit to fit the vwr but its no biggie

Reactions: Dikonou
I have the Revo Camcoat (ceramic coating) which is supposed to help with heat soak. It's far quieter than I was expecting and what others have mentioned on the forum. If I turn radio off and listen carefully I can hear it...

Think I'm going to go for the revo with ceramic coating do you have any issues with the cone rubbing on the rear of the headlight ? May get a green cotton filter for it in the future also if it's a dry one

Reactions: S3Alex
I think you'll be fine with the Revo.

It's well thought out and well made.

Mine is still running a modified ITG,which isn't pretty,but is functional and definitely good for over 600bhp.

Yep, it rubs on the light! I'm surprised Revo have never looked to modify it but it's not all that bad.

Another vote for the Revo CAI, I've got the ceramic one too, this and the older ITG Maxogen are both proven to perform well with the best air flow.

The VWR and Forge Twintake are closed induction systems which are quiter and will suffice for stage 1 and 2, however they're too restrictive for stage 2+ and above.

I'll look to order the revo camcoat soon then will the car run right with 1 on without a map

Thanks for the quick reply that's settled then revo intake tts engine cover,new oil and coolant cap

Reactions: samuelh_888
Little update on mine. Car has been in today had a full smoke test all clear. New maf sensor and it's still the same. Even more so today as its really warm

There is also another option for the revo instead of camcoat go for the powder coat and a heat shield. I noticed AKS stocked one from R-tech that sits at the back of the engine to protect the Intake. Here is the link, for £45 I would defo have a think about it.

http://www.akstuning.co.uk/r-tech/248-r-tech-turbo-heat-shield.html

Aks are more than helpful so if you had any questions give them a shout.

I had the VWR on mine too...1.8 tfsi with K04-064, worked ok, but the foam showed signs of wear quite soon, so
I ordered the ITG STAB99LD....Fitting is on the limit as far as required space is concerned.

19830303 1047598865375061 696395349 o
19866975 1047598882041726 1653863109 o

but it's day and night comparing filter surface and air volume between the two of them!

Here is a shot of them both

19875938 1047598938708387 1666933460 o