Airbag light

twist123

Reaction score
Hi all,

Airbag light on my A4 is lit, getting 01221 Vagcom drivers side G179 011 & 012. Took out the lateral sensor and dried etc. in the B pillar, foam was soaked.

The dash light flashes on and off while I drive, if the sensor was done for would the light be solid all the time or still flash? Just trying to figure out wether its the sensor for sure or the wiring somewhere. I have tried wriggling the yellow plug and unplugging, plugging back in with no luck.

Thanks in advance

Hi,

Had this problem last year but on the near-side. Removed the foam, replaced the sensor and cleaned the plug. Light has not come on since. Price of sensor at time was £67.95.

Cheers Ian.

Many Thanks Ian, have ordered a used part from Germany as main dealers want £90 for it!!

When I took it out to try dry it etc. the foam was soaked but the plug and pins were dry at the connector, the silver square bit at bottom of unit was corroded though.

Did you use anything like Waxol on the new plug to avoid moisture again?

could be a broken wire in any of the wheels as there is an airbag sensor in all 4 wheels. Other than that, I have also heard of it getting unplugged under the seat. Best bet would be to VAGCOM it and it should point out where the problem is.

I recently had similar problem, airbag light came on and it was drivers pillar. Turned out to be a faulty connector under the seat so they cut the connector out, soldered the wire - all good. Aparently a known problem.

After the pins in the plug were cleaned, I smeared some dielectric grease on them.

Cheers Ian.

Thanks, what did they solder? the 3 wires to the male pins in the floor? Or the 3 wires together? Im led to believe if you solder the wires together the light will go off but the airbags wont work anymore as its a looped system?

Just spoke to my mechanic (just going by what he said - i didn't see myself). Under the seat there is a 2 pin plug which connects to a seat belt pre tensioner. Cut the plug out and solder the two wires together (make sure you connect the correct wires together! )
it's essential there is a good wire connection hence solder not crimp (this is why there is a problem in the first place). very common fault.
The chances are, you'll need to plug the car into computer to clear the fault code.

If you want this explained by a profesional his details are:

Colwills garage 01237 441 228 ask for Jeff Colwill