Airbag & Wheel Removal Questions

Slackworth

Reaction score
Hi All

I'm undertaking my cruise control retrofit on Saturday as everything has arrived but have a couple of questions with regards to removing the airbag and wheel.

ELSA says in big red writing to keep the key in the ignition while disconnecting the battery whereas other guides and forums say to have the key nowhere near the ignition...also do I need to undo the airbag screws while the battery is connected or will the steering lock not engage as long as key is in the ignition when I disconnect the battery.

With regards to taking the wheel itself off, again the forums and Kufatec guide I found give mixed messages - some suggest the wheel needs marking while others suggest the wheel is keyed so doesn't need marking at all. I have the 4-spoke multifunction wheel currently if that makes any difference.

Any help much appreciated!

Great news...key in the ignition it is then.

I'm now a bit concerned about the stalk pack I've purchased as the high beam doesn't lock like my current stalk. Think I'll be making a hybrid switch!!

Not it won't lock, push to put on full beam then push again to switch back to dipped

Pleased to say there was no issues with the airbag at all and I need up having to take it off twice. :)

My cruise stalk didn't work initially...although VCDS was registering the majority of actions such as resume and speed up/down, it was stuck in the off position and wouldn't activate. Got everything off again and had the switch apart...one of the little sliders inside had come off the PCB where it should have been so after a little fiddly work in gettIng it back together all worked fine where cruise was concerned. Joy of eBay parts but at £30 inc. the slip ring as well it was worth it!!!

Same couldn't be said for the high beam though...as suspected it wouldn't lock on like the previous switch pack (8K0 953 502 C). New module was 8K0 953 502 BD. Nearly ended up taking it off a third time and transplanting the parts from the old switch but thought I'd do a little more research first. Nothing found on English forums but Motor-talk.de had the instructions to make it work as follows if anyone has the same problem:

- 09 - Central Electric
- Long Coding
- Change Byte 5 from 14 to 34 - this is a manual change as the only tick box was to change the value to 54 with full high beam assist installed. One for the future maybe...
- Do It!

Switch pack that I should have got was 8K0 953 502 D but again, for the money I paid, I can't moan at all!!

Thanks for all the help guys :)