Aircon fan s3 8p

kash_v

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Seems like the air con fan doesn't want to work anymore! Switch my econ button off (to turn aircon on) the fan does not spin and the econ button lights up red again. Car is at standstill idling.

Tried same thing on mums mk2 tt, fan turns on right away and aircon kicks in while idling.

I dont have vagcom or know anyone close by with it.

Could it be the control unit for It? If so where about is it?

Thanks

Could be a host of things and too many to start guessing. Could be low pressure or none on the refrigerant side or compressor problem.....

Hi guys,

Seems like the air con fan doesn't want to work anymore! Switch my econ button off (to turn aircon on) the fan does not spin and the econ button lights up red again. Car is at standstill idling.

Tried same thing on mums mk2 tt, fan turns on right away and aircon kicks in while idling.

I dont have vagcom or know anyone close by with it.

Could it be the control unit for It? If so where about is it?

Thanks

My fan stopped working and it was the controller. If you drop the fan down from behind the glovebox the controller is fitted to the top of it. Think the controller was 80 quid of eBay. The whole fan unit costs 250 or something so worth a try. There's pics in my thread on how to Change it over

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: kash_v
@mechanic69 was it your fan in the engine bay?

I wasn't clear in my first post, My radiator fan for the air con isn't working.

I gather your Radiator fan works normally when the engine gets hot but when the A/Con is turned on the radiator fan doesn't run constant, as you described with your mums TT which is correct, yours should do the same.. If so the fault is with the A/Con unit, also called Climate Control. In which case the chances of fixing this yourself are just about non existant, you need an aircon expert to sort this out and preferably one with vcds as well. It may well be a very simple fix but finding the problem is difficult without the right gear.

I would say switch on engine open bonnet go to left hand side ( battery side ) look see if no 1 fan is spinning ( big fan)or put hand above big fan see if you feel gush off air if not feel air it looks like a/ c unit if not it will be the big fan control mod which u can pick up from eurocarparts but u will need to use your old connection to plug back in module

Hi guys,

Sorry for the late reply. So, the fans work!(both) But only when the car is upto temp (90degree, or near it) - so the car does not overheat (phew!). A/C will work when the car is moving or starting to get upto temp(airflow i presume).

If I jump into the car and immediately switch the A/C on, it will switch off - Fans do not switch on (as they do on the TT). As per above, only when im driving/car has warmed up will it work.

Makes me think the 'hi' speed isn't working on the fans. Do you reckons its the controller?

Thanks

Hi I have this exact same issue with my 2005 A3 8p. Did u work out why fans not starting when AC turned on. Like yours mine only turn on when engine gets hot and then ac starts working as well