Airport vs Home Parking?

Which would you do?

• I'd park at the airport for £90.

• I'd leave the car at home and pay £90 for a taxi.

Results are only viewable after voting.

S32B

Reaction score
OK so I was having a conversation in work today about holidays and parking at the airport came up, I said we're getting a taxi to and from the airport for £90 round trip and leaving the car on the drive. The guy I we're talking to said we're parking at the airport for £90!!!

Thus started a pros and cons discussion!!! Obviously my concern was you are leaving it at the mercy of anyone parking in the same car park, his argument was you can park it anywhere you want out of the way and you have the flexibility of just turning up when you want and driving home without waiting for your taxi.

He couldn't see my way and I couldn't see any advantage of his way!

So which would you guys do?....just a posh car way of thinking or not lol???

When I travelled from Birmingham Airport regularly for business I parked there on site in the multi-storey. Booking early and online made a huge difference to the cost. I never parked in the open air car parks, and I never used the collect and park services on offer. Never had a single problem.

I have this debate with myself every week as I fly out to Mainland Europe every week. Used to take car with me to car park. But realised I could save at least an hour messing about parking it and then getting a bus to the terminal. So she sits at home and I have earned some loyalty points with my local cab firm :)

Reactions: THQuattro and Flying Scotsman
I'd never ever contemplate leaving my car unattended in an airport car park for days on end.

Can't beat arriving at the airport, jumping out of a taxi and not having to worry about numpties parking next to your car in the car park.

But also can't beat landing back at the airport, crawling through passport control, jumping in your own car and driving home quick as you like.

Six to one, half a dozen to the other. I'd go for the cheapest option, and if the cost was the same... Probably drive. I think.

First world problems do my nut in.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

I saw on the Stolen Cars Uk Facebook page a few have been stolen from Birmingham airport carpark recently so I'd be tempted to leave it at home myself.
Plus you can have a drink on the flight back then also

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There is also the question of cars that have supposedly been handed over for safe storage being dumped on streets or ragged up and down the local roads by the staff who are responsible for them.

Amply demonstrated in this thread.

I left my own car at Manchester Airport once - at an airport hotel car park as it was one of these "stay the night before flying and get 7 days parking" - I did worry quite a lot as the deal was that as long as the hotel was not too busy, the car would be left there, on that occasion it was okay as the car was not moved, taking a taxi was not an option as we lived over 300 miles North. I have used many airport car parks leaving my wife's car there, but I tend to use the "better" companies which end up being a bit more expensive but not too expensive if booked ahead on line - as far, I've never had any damage to the cars. I can see that cheaper/cheapest airportish car parks could be a bit more problematic - so have always avoided them, most if not all proper airport car parks involve you parking the car and taking the keys with you.

I think the topic just depends how much you care about your car, I'm off in a couple months and if a car's being left at the airport it's my girlfriend's :playful:

With the SQ5 I avoid shopping centre car parks at all costs - that's what the old A4's for - but I take it to the airport. Park it on the extremes of the terminal surface site and walk 5 mins.
There's obviously risk either way but on balance I'm slightly happier leaving it there than leaving it on the drive for 2 weeks and someone maybe breaking into the house for it.
When I only had old cars I got a taxi or a lift.

It’s a reason not to use “meet-and-greet” parking at airports. I’ve never had a problem parking my own car in a multi-storey at numerous airports in the UK.

parked at airports many times, never an issue. simply for convenience i wouldn't consider leaving the car at home.
i recall one aspect of using a taxi was a spate of people getting burgled after banter w/ the driver indicated the house would be empty for several days.