Alignment Question

Chris Groom

Reaction score
Hi all
Wonder if anyone can help with what might be a strange question. Although it's just a winter car I've been thinking about getting some new rims for my AJQ A3 Quattro Sport. So to see what space I've got to play with I have measured the gap from the edge of the inside of the tire to suspension and the edge of the outside wheel rim to the outside of the wheel arch just to give me a starting point of what space I have, the odd thing is I have a 7mm difference between the driver's side and passenger side front wheel rims to the outside of the arches, driver's side has 25mm and the passenger side is 18mm, this is with standard 6.5X16 Et42 rims. So thinking that the camber must be miles out or something bent I took it to my local tyre place for a four wheel laser alignment, they said that as far as they can tell nothing is damaged or bent and it was only slightly off spec, they brought it all back within spec and said it's fine, brought it home and the measurements are the same. I mentioned to them about what I had found and they said it's nothing to worry about, I'm not worried as the car handles fine but more curious why. Plus if I want to get the wheels as close to the outside of the arches it's going to be a pain to my OCD seeing a 7mm difference in the gaps. Anyone else noticed this when measuring to fit new wheels?

Thanks for reading my lengthy post.

Attachments

• PXL_20210222_151440237.jpg
    PXL_20210222_151440237.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 90
I've never measured mine to know if there is any difference like that but I'll measure mine tomorrow and put it up here.
Mines a s3 8l don't know if that will make a difference but we will see.

Attached my recent alignment after getting knocked on the front left side. Took to another shop and these final numbers aren't that much a killer until I can fix whatever is potentially bent between the knuckle, strut, wishbone.

But your comment on wheel well distance def has been thinking (provided your car was never hit) that the first shop's excuse of "we can't fully align it because one move or adjustment on one side moves the other" is actually in the ballpark/pitch/field of what you just found.

Def following this and wondering if I need another alignment

Screenshot 20210323 152612

Hi all
Wonder if anyone can help with what might be a strange question. Although it's just a winter car I've been thinking about getting some new rims for my AJQ A3 Quattro Sport. So to see what space I've got to play with I have measured the gap from the edge of the inside of the tire to suspension and the edge of the outside wheel rim to the outside of the wheel arch just to give me a starting point of what space I have, the odd thing is I have a 7mm difference between the driver's side and passenger side front wheel rims to the outside of the arches, driver's side has 25mm and the passenger side is 18mm, this is with standard 6.5X16 Et42 rims. So thinking that the camber must be miles out or something bent I took it to my local tyre place for a four wheel laser alignment, they said that as far as they can tell nothing is damaged or bent and it was only slightly off spec, they brought it all back within spec and said it's fine, brought it home and the measurements are the same. I mentioned to them about what I had found and they said it's nothing to worry about, I'm not worried as the car handles fine but more curious why. Plus if I want to get the wheels as close to the outside of the arches it's going to be a pain to my OCD seeing a 7mm difference in the gaps. Anyone else noticed this when measuring to fit new wheels?

Thanks for reading my lengthy post.
its probably that your subframe is not central to the car, maybe worn bushes