All season quiet tyres with best rim protection

The MCC+ have minimal rim protection which is hard to picture but do have a few mm depth. I've now covered 10k miles on them & rotate them annually front to back & they have 6mm tread depth left at present so wearing very well.

20210917 182458

Reactions: AlS3BE
The MCC+ have minimal rim protection which is hard to picture but do have a few mm depth. I've now covered 10k miles on them & rotate them annually front to back & they have 6mm tread depth left at present so wearing very well.

View attachment 243070

wow. That’s a negative rim protection. The wheel sticks out further than the tyre. Almost like those euro stretched look.

It does have a rim protection but as I said very very hard to picture as it's only a few mm.
Are they marked FSL on the tyre? Now makes me wonder if there are two versions... with and without rim protection...

No marking on the outside of the tyre that I can see & checking the specs for my size 225/40R18 they don't have a rim protection. If this puts you off it's a shame as they are amazing & are a perfect all season rubber.

In the UK South. But summer tyres seem rated for no less than 7C and most manufacturers talk to cracking and maybe compromised warranty if you use them in colder conditions (let alone poor performance). 7C min is a hopeless as a single choice for UK climate, anywhere, so that's why I'm thinking all seasons this time. Particularly with the A3 'sports' suspension and low profile rims, both rim protection and low noise are important to me....

It beggars belief that so many summer tyres are promoted & sold in the UK to folk who don't think twice about having two sets, summer & winter, or all seasons. I wonder if insurance companies will ultimately wake up to this and do something like invalidate insurance if you have an 'inappropriate' set on. Also odd that manufacturers fit summer tyres as OE in the UK, even on cars sold in the winter!

I'd say it would be more important ridding the market of Chinese widow maker tyres than trying to tackle reputable brands 'summer' tyres being used in winter.

I felt my PZero AOs were good re road noise until they have become more worn. I think this may be a characteristic of many tyres (getting nosier as the tread depth decreases).
I bought it with brand new tyres (according to Audi) and they have always been noisy.
Maybe I just have sensitive hearing (I do hear things others don't) because I remember putting Goodyear Eagle F1's on my e46 330ci which everyone says were quiet and found them really loud too.

On the flipside one of my a3's had Continentals and I found these awesome, completely silent, magic carpet ride quality (it had springs and dampers upgraded too) whereas everyone says Continentals are loud and tramline.

The problem with tyres is you pretty much buy blind and then can't exchange them if you don't like them.

Yes, I'm the op. So do many folk ignore the summer/winter thing an use summer tyres in the UK winter? There's so much talk about summer tyres you'd think folk don't care much for all season or winter tyres. Is this fair comment?
Pretty much, yes.

I used to run 2 set on my BMW 3 series, as that was hopeless in winter on the Conti's, but in a class of it's own on Winter tyres come a bit of hardpack or other Wintery conditions when I could use the outer lanes of the motorway and be the only driver using them, get up that snowy hill and just get about by myself on deserted roads.

I'm in a similar boat now, seriously considering All Seasons for my 3ltr A4. I know they'll be great here for 6 months of the year at commuting times when the temps are likely to be below 7c, but not sure how that will transpire during summer conditions, whether the trade-off will be worth it for a front wheel drive car.

If I lived in American and could get my hands on the Pilot Sport 4 All Season in my size, then that would be a no brainer, if they were affordable, but now i'm considering the Crossclimate 2, which were tested against the Crossclimate+ recently and outperformed them in almost every way, including around 2mpg on the motorway. I would love to see a test b2b with some Pilot Sport 4 through the 6 warmer months though, or just a unbiased usage test explaining the trade-off.

I decided to go to my local tyre emporium. Had a guided rummage round all the tyre racks. Not one manufacturer seems to manufacture an all-seasons tyre with half decent rim protection. Given folk are perhaps even more likely to smack a rim in snow and ice, it's perverse they don't see this as a market opportunity and create one :angry:

Maybe your average consumer simply doesn't worry or really care when they have damaged rims...

Last edited:
That was a reason I was considering the Goodyear Asymmetric 5 as I heard the rim protection was excellent, but they're just Summer tyres. I agree though, i'd hate to scratch the Diamond cut alloys. Blow to my shopping shortlist now. I'm going to need to read some more info on these tyres before committing.

View attachment 243070
Hi, i'm curious how you switch tyres around as i've only recently read that this is the best way to extend the life of tyres? Do you need 2 jacks, or can you lift a full side enough with a regular trolley jack?

You can do it with one jack and a couple of axle stands but as I like to give everything a clean and polish when the rims are being swapped round I go the full on method.

20210415_195320Small.jpg

Reactions: AlS3BE and Jigs
That was a reason I was considering the Goodyear Asymmetric 5 as I heard the rim protection was excellent, but they're just Summer tyres. I agree though, i'd hate to scratch the Diamond cut alloys. Blow to my shopping shortlist now. I'm going to need to read some more info on these tyres before committing.

Haven't watched the videos, but read great reviews there about them and considered based on the Costco price (which looked to be the cheapest) for 4x 245/40/18 fitted (last time I checked)

£423.92 - Pilot Sport 4
£329 - Goodyear Asymmetric 5
£467 - Crosslimate+

A moot point now though as i've purchased Crossclimate 2 from Asdatyres for £555, plus £50 of Asda vouchers, so £505 fitted, with the store credit.

Haven't watched the videos, but read great reviews there about them and considered based on the Costco price (which looked to be the cheapest) for 4x 245/40/18 fitted (last time I checked)

£423.92 - Pilot Sport 4
£329 - Goodyear Asymmetric 5
£467 - Crosslimate+

A moot point now though as i've purchased Crossclimate 2 from Asdatyres for £555, plus £50 of Asda vouchers, so £505 fitted, with the store credit.
There's a pic of the CC+ above, but could you please post a pic of the rim protection (or lack thereof) or your CC2's? I would be fitting to stock 225/40/18 rims, but I guess would be similar to your 245/40/18's?

We run Michelin Cross Climates on our Ambulance 4x4 Response Cars and the van version on the Ambulances. I also have Cross Climates on my Wife's Golf. They are prone to damage easily and if you are expecting snow grip then you will be disappointed. However in the winter I think they make sense as braking is much improved and you will get up a slushy hill. Jonathan bensons Tyre Reviews are very good I am going to look at Goodyear all seasons tyres for my Audi if it arrives before spring!

There's a pic of the CC+ above, but could you please post a pic of the rim protection (or lack thereof) or your CC2's? I would be fitting to stock 225/40/18 rims, but I guess would be similar to your 245/40/18's?
I'll be getting them fitted tomorrow as they had to ordered in. I'll be disappointed if they haven't got adequate protection.

We run Michelin Cross Climates on our Ambulance 4x4 Response Cars and the van version on the Ambulances. I also have Cross Climates on my Wife's Golf. They are prone to damage easily and if you are expecting snow grip then you will be disappointed. However in the winter I think they make sense as braking is much improved and you will get up a slushy hill. Jonathan bensons Tyre Reviews are very good I am going to look at Goodyear all seasons tyres for my Audi if it arrives before spring!
Interesting! What kind of damage are we talking about?

I've run Winter tyres before and they were fine for where I live. Motorway speeds on hardpack and getting about in light snow. I expect these will be close to the performance or better, given my last pair of Winters were bought 10 years ago for the BMW rear wheeled drive car and my current car is front wheeled drive and technology has moved on. So here's hoping. Those lasted years too even sometimes running them into June. Most years we rarely get more than a handful of snowy days and maybe one or 2 when the snow sticks, but it doesn't usually last very long as the roads are well gritted with salt most cold days.

Hmm. Goodyear Vector 4Seasons Gen-3 look interesting. And claim rim protection... Anyone got them?

Crossclimate 2 look to have 6.75mm of tread (which seems really low, but checked every tyre). Must have the shallowest tread of any new tyre and i'm disappointed tbh.

Checked the rim protection too by running a straightedge across the wheel and using a depth gauge to check from the edge to my alloy and that looks to be 3mm.

Crossclimate 2 look to have 6.75mm of tread (which seems really low, but checked every tyre). Must have the shallowest tread of any new tyre and i'm disappointed tbh.

Checked the rim protection too by running a straightedge across the wheel and using a depth gauge to check from the edge to my alloy and that looks to be 3mm.
Not great on either count. Hopefully their life at least isn't proportional to the tread depth.