All season quiet tyres with best rim protection

Wibbly

Reaction score
Currently using Pirelli P-Zeros AO (summer tyre) as they have the best rim protection I've seen on any tyre with low noise (until the tread wears down).

Now time to change and thinking maybe an all seasons tyre would be a better compromise in the UK winter, given we get snow etc. Can anyone suggest a shortlist of tyres with equal or better rim protection and lack of noise, or shouldn't I worry about all season tyres in the UK? As far as I know Pirelli even void their warranty when they're used below 7C (at least in the US) :-S

Have read here.
I just put a set of cross climates on my folks car and they were quieter and more comfortable than the factory Yokohama’s. They have a reasonable rim protection but it might be different depending on size.

Reactions: Potterswheel and Wibbly
I find Pirelli P-Zero’s to be the worse UK tyre ever made, so you’ll certainly get an upgrade whichever you choose!

We run CrossClimates on the other cars which are AWD year round - bad access, rough and very steep onto a steep driveway. They are very good but not great rim protection at all - sidewall is quite flat. Last set lasted only 7000 miles on the Octavia 4x4 though.

Reactions: Wibbly
We run CrossClimates on the other cars which are AWD year round - bad access, rough and very steep onto a steep driveway. They are very good but not great rim protection at all - sidewall is quite flat. Last set lasted only 7000 miles on the Octavia 4x4 though.
In fact wife has got back after a 300 mile drive on the new tyres fitted yesterday which are the new Crossclimate+ and says they are much quieter than the other ones.

Reactions: Wibbly
hi im looking for some premium tyres fir my audi 3 are michelin pilot 4 sport any good>>?

So most discussion around tyres on this forum seems to be around what are actually summer tyres. Is it fair to assume most folk live in warmer climates or that most actually use summer tyres in winter in places like the UK?

hi im looking for some premium tyres fir my audi 3 are michelin pilot 4 sport any good>>?

Michelin Pilot Sport are good summer tyres. Some prefer Goodyear F1 asymmetric or Pirelli P zero but this thread is about all season tyres.

Lots of info on summer tyres if you use the search function.

Reactions: audi 3 man
Michelin Pilot Sport are good summer tyres. Some prefer Goodyear F1 asymmetric or Pirelli P zero but this thread is about all season tyres.

Lots of info on summer tyres if you use the search function.
thanks ,i have crap budget tyres on my a3 which prevu=ious owner put on,no good sailun so i think ill go for pirelli p zero premium tyres for grip cheers for info

thanks ,i have **** budget tyres on my a3 which prevu=ious owner put on,no good sailun so i think ill go for pirelli p zero premium tyres for grip cheers for info

There's a lot better out there .

Screenshot 20210910 055220 Chrome

thanks ,i have **** budget tyres on my a3 which prevu=ious owner put on,no good sailun so i think ill go for pirelli p zero premium tyres for grip cheers for info

Why? they aren't good and I wouldn't fit them even at half their price..

Much prefer my Avon's, and far cheaper.

Why? they aren't good and I wouldn't fit them even at half their price..

Much prefer my Avon's, and far cheaper.
very true ,it handles horrible to drive at minute sailun garbage tyres ,when i can afford it i want premium good quality tyres on my audi 3 ,last owner put crap on this car ,spoils it,i got the car at a great price ,like everything you buy used,always no good tyres on,,aaarrr

its horrible to drive at minute ,when i can afford ot i want premium good quality tyres on my audi 3 ,last owner put **** on this car ,spoils it,

Far better and cheaper tyres than Pirelli's dude.

what do you reccomend bro

I've been running Avon ZV7's and ran them previously on my 500bhp Impreza. I am a firm believer in UK designed tyres for UK roads. Sure, they arent Michelin PS4's, but nor do they carry the price tag...and tbh, most of the performance you can get from a PS4 isn't that noticeable on the road unless you are driving like a tool.

Wet weather performance with the Avons is excellent, they are very quiet and very comfortable.

I've been running Avon ZV7's and ran them previously on my 500bhp Impreza. I am a firm believer in UK designed tyres for UK roads. Sure, they arent Michelin PS4's, but nor do they carry the price tag...and tbh, most of the performance you can get from a PS4 isn't that noticeable on the road unless you are driving like a tool.

Wet weather performance with the Avons is excellent, they are very quiet and very comfortable.
thanks m8 youve saved me some cash was gonna get premium michelin pilot 4 sport or pirelli tyres like you said there expensive ,i used to always like the avon tyres on my honda fireblade ,ill go back to AVON cheers for help ,and prices info much, apreciated take care

Reactions: Dubjam
Have experience on several summer tyres but this thread is for All Season tyres, not summer ones, so need to get back on topic - many other threads on summer tyres.

Reactions: Wibbly, AlS3BE and audi 3 man
Have experience on several summer tyres but this thread is for All Season tyres, not summer ones, so need to get back on topic - many other threads on summer tyres.

Anyone with All Season tyre information are welcome to wade in whenever they want...nothing is stopping them.

Im glad one forum member found some answers and got some help even if not directly related to the original question.

Reactions: AlS3BE and audi 3 man
Yes, I'm the op. So do many folk ignore the summer/winter thing an use summer tyres in the UK winter? There's so much talk about summer tyres you'd think folk don't care much for all season or winter tyres. Is this fair comment?

Yes, I'm the op. So do many folk ignore the summer/winter thing an use summer tyres in the UK winter? There's so much talk about summer tyres you'd think folk don't care much for all season or winter tyres. Is this fair comment?
I run both a winter set and summer set.
factory Pirelli pzero pz4 in summer and Pirelli sottozero 3 in winter.
both have been good but found the pzero needs a bit of heat in them before they are at their best.
Only hassle is swapping wheels twice a year but it’s like an hours work

I live in the South, so summer tyres generally work fine all year around. I may invest in all season tyres next tyre change sheerly for their enhanced comfort and quietness (getting old!) as they tend to be better in these departments than summer tyres.

Whereabouts do you live @Wibbly ?

I have a summer set of wheels with Michelin ps4s but for winter I just swap back to factory wheel setup.

I am planning to get all season for the wife’s 118d though as rwd but truth be told it’s been fine for the last 6 winters with the Goodyear ass3 it’s had fitted. They are proper quiet too but I think they are summer tyres - I’m south uk ans they do fine although they struggled in places for an Xmas trip to Scotland a few years back!

I have just had a set of Michelin Pilot Super Sports fitted to My S3 and it has transformed the car completely, Admittedly the previous owned had a mixture of Pirelli and others, but the car is transformed. and they look great!
If anyone wants a cheap pair of M+S for the winter let me know 235/35 19's 6 months use.

I'm wouldn't expect the MPSS to be any good in Wintery cold sub 7 deg C temps or snow for that matter as they are a dedicated Summer tyre so not exactly an all year round rubber choice. If you run MPSS then surly you'd want a set of Winter wheels with appropriate dedicated Winter tyres. This is where an all season tyre choice comes in and saves you having to have an extra set or rims/ wheels.

I've never had any concerns or issues with the MCC+ when driving my S3 in what you would class as an enthusiastic manor. They feel planted & stable with only a slight increase in noise when loading the front end on larger roundabouts & long swooping corners. In general the MCC+ are a fantastic all season tyre & I would highly recommend them to anyone :racer:

Reactions: AlS3BE
Sorry, just re - read the original Question !
I consider myself scolded!
I got distracted by the question I quoted, I'm just so excited about the change the Michelin Pilot super sports have made to my car. I have heard some very good comments from people about the Michelin Cross Climates who had the opportunity to do a direct comparison.
Currently using Pirelli P-Zeros AO (summer tyre) as they have the best rim protection I've seen on any tyre with low noise (until the tread wears down).

Now time to change and thinking maybe an all seasons tyre would be a better compromise in the UK winter, given we get snow etc. Can anyone suggest a shortlist of tyres with equal or better rim protection and lack of noise, or shouldn't I worry about all season tyres in the UK? As far as I know Pirelli even void their warranty when they're used below 7C (at least in the US) :-S

I live in the South, so summer tyres generally work fine all year around. I may invest in all season tyres next tyre change sheerly for their enhanced comfort and quietness (getting old!) as they tend to be better in these departments than summer tyres.

Whereabouts do you live @Wibbly ?
In the UK South. But summer tyres seem rated for no less than 7C and most manufacturers talk to cracking and maybe compromised warranty if you use them in colder conditions (let alone poor performance). 7C min is a hopeless as a single choice for UK climate, anywhere, so that's why I'm thinking all seasons this time. Particularly with the A3 'sports' suspension and low profile rims, both rim protection and low noise are important to me....

It beggars belief that so many summer tyres are promoted & sold in the UK to folk who don't think twice about having two sets, summer & winter, or all seasons. I wonder if insurance companies will ultimately wake up to this and do something like invalidate insurance if you have an 'inappropriate' set on. Also odd that manufacturers fit summer tyres as OE in the UK, even on cars sold in the winter!

Last edited:
CrossClimate 2's also seem to be well rated but, again, not sure about rim protection :-S

I have P Zero's and they are TERRIBLE for road noise and seem to attract stones too. Great for grip and cornering though.
My previous A3 and A5 had Pirelli Centuro(?)'s and these were great, extremely quiet and comfortable, but still grippy, not sure they would be on an S3 though.
I just drive with the window open or B&O on and then you don't hear anything from the tyres. Unplugged exhaust valves also help with this!

I have P Zero's and they are TERRIBLE for road noise and seem to attract stones too. Great for grip and cornering though.
My previous A3 and A5 had Pirelli Centuro(?)'s and these were great, extremely quiet and comfortable, but still grippy, not sure they would be on an S3 though.
I just drive with the window open or B&O on and then you don't hear anything from the tyres. Unplugged exhaust valves also help with thisI !
I felt my PZero AOs were good re road noise until they have become more worn. I think this may be a characteristic of many tyres (getting nosier as the tread depth decreases).