All Season tyres for 3.0tdi 218ps available?

Jigs

Reaction score
I need a couple of new tyres on the passenger side, so as they're neither a set of 2 front or 2 rear I was thinking about buying 4 All Season tyres, but the speed rating for All Season is probably lower than the rating for my car. I say probably, as I can't find a definitive guide for the tyres required online, or in the owners manual, so it's guesswork. There's obviously the tyre pressure guide on the drivers door which shows trye sizes and speed ratings, but I don't fully understanding UK law, as some sites state that you need the tyre speed to match the rating on the car, which I can't find.

I can't remember experiencing a severe Winter 2 years ago when I bought the car and I was off through furlough last Winter, so not sure if the car actually needs all season tyres, but my previous car, a rear wheeled drive BMW 3 series certainly did as I found out the hard way one early Winter day when I forgot to change over to my Winter wheels in time.

So, just wondering if there are all season tyres available for this car, or if people have just never bothered and managed to get on with the occasional snow, ice and regular low temps (below 7C when Winter/All Season tyres out perform Summer tyres) just fine? I will need to get these tyres fitted as soon as possible.

You can get the Michelin cross climates in Y speed rating which is 186mph.

Reactions: Jigs
Thank you, i've just been looking at those and the newer Crossclimate 2 and they both look to be highly rated. Be great to hear of anybody actually running a set all year round.

I keep looking at the Pilot Sport 4 too though and the cheaper Goodyear Asemmetric 5 trying to cut through the jargon and determine the best all round tyre for the full year. We barely get much of a Winter around these parts, but when we do there's usually a disaster on the roads, with people getting stuck, getting stuck in a low gear, or people just staying at home. It isn't much fun. Can that be offset by having a great summer tyre is the question?

Put a set of Michelin Crossclimate + 255/35/19`s on my S4 in Feb they were £50 a tyre cheaper than the 245`s. ive had no problem with them. Not sure on the winter handling yet but reviews on utube look good, happy with them so far.

Attachments

• 20210211_132756.jpg
    20210211_132756.jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 98
Put a set of Michelin Crossclimate + 255/35/19`s on my S4 in Feb they were £50 a tyre cheaper than the 245`s. ive had no problem with them. Not sure on the winter handling yet but reviews on utube look good, happy with them so far.
Perfect! There's nothing like getting feedback from a similar case user for helping cut through the reviews of much different sized tyres on different cars used in the test reviews. Is there enough rim protection to protect your wheels though?

I bought a Costco card at the weekend to take advantage of the much cheaper prices there for premium tyres (£70-£200+ a full set, fitted), but there's a 8 day wait for fitting the tyres that they can get quickly and a 2 week plus wait for the Crossclimate's, which is too long to wait I think, but nice if you aren't in a rush and have a card and one nearby.

ive attached a closer pic the rim protection is good ive never caught a rim yet. touch wood .

Attachments

• rsz_20210927_121520.jpg
    rsz_20210927_121520.jpg
    844.7 KB · Views: 80
Thank you, i've just been looking at those and the newer Crossclimate 2 and they both look to be highly rated. Be great to hear of anybody actually running a set all year round.

I keep looking at the Pilot Sport 4 too though and the cheaper Goodyear Asemmetric 5 trying to cut through the jargon and determine the best all round tyre for the full year. We barely get much of a Winter around these parts, but when we do there's usually a disaster on the roads, with people getting stuck, getting stuck in a low gear, or people just staying at home. It isn't much fun. Can that be offset by having a great summer tyre is the question?
I’m looking at running the cc2 as my winter tyres instead of running my usual winter tyres/wheels. Still going to use a dedicated performance summer set. All seasons have came a long way but it’s still a jack of all trades but a master at none.
this all depends if I sell the car before winter properly sets in.
another point at least for me is it will be easier to sell a set of wheels with all seasons tyres rather than a set of winter wheels/tyres when i come round to selling them off.

Thanks Manity, I would have preferred a bit more tbh, but some protection is good. EDIT: Actually, looking at the picture again it looks like there is good protection, certainly better than my 2 offside tyres.

I've just purchased the Crossclimate 2 from ASDA. Worked out at £555, but I can claim £50 of store vouchers for buying 4 Michelin Tyres, so seems pretty reasonable.

According to Tyre Reviews, 2 is a significant upgrade, so hopefully worth the extra over the £467 for the Crossclimate+ from Costco (after claiming money back). Just couldn't wait for them to contact me with a date for fitting as I need them soon.

Last edited:
Reactions: AlS3BE
didn’t even realise Asda sold tyres.
Got a set of cross climates suv for my folks car a couple of months ago and Kwik fit was the cheapest with a discount code.

For anyone interested, i've just had a set fitted.

Crossclimate 2 look to have 6.75mm of tread (which seems really low, but checked every tyre). Must have the shallowest tread of any new tyre and i'm disappointed tbh. Might be the way im using the gauge, the thin tip of the gauge and the softness of the rubber. The Winter tyres I used to own had a much deeper tread when new though.

Checked the rim protection too by running a straightedge across the wheel and using a depth gauge to check from the edge of that to my alloy and that looks to be 3mm.

I’ve had tyres with similar or lower starting depth. Contis were bad for that in my experience.
Best rim protection I’ve seen and had is the pzero(pz4) ao and the sottozero 3 ao, both had 8mm+ from face of alloy to edge of rim protector.
Im still looking at the cross climates 2 or the good year vector 4 season to run as my winters.

Just got the cc2 fitted to my spare wheels to run as winters.
around 6.8mm tread depth.
There’s is zero rim protection but that could be design of alloys.
measured rim protector from face of alloy and it was 0.2mm virtually nothing compared to pirellis 8mm+
still the tyres seem pretty good. Just drove through torrential rain and it seems fine and stable. Noise is good and comfort is good. Not quite as pointy and darty like my summers but will do for the winter.

Just got the cc2 fitted to my spare wheels to run as winters.
around 6.8mm tread depth.
There’s is zero rim protection but that could be design of alloys.
measured rim protector from face of alloy and it was 0.2mm virtually nothing compared to pirellis 8mm+
still the tyres seem pretty good. Just drove through torrential rain and it seems fine and stable. Noise is good and comfort is good. Not quite as pointy and darty like my summers but will do for the winter.
Yes, it's very difficult for me to photograph the gap and it isn't scientific. I had a Pirelli tyre on this particular wheel too and there was a massive difference between that and this. Even the Pilot Sport 4 I had on the front wheel (previous owner didn't match up the tyres) had better protection. They're slightly noisier than before and the mpg seems to have gone down quite a bit - which blows, but they've been nice and grippy in the heavy rain we've had recently. Maybe the wetter cooler weather is the reason for the drop in mpg, or maybe I haven't had a like for like trip to assess it. I'm not complaining though. If we get a bad Winter during their lifetime and I don't damage the alloys, they'll be money well spent.
IMG 3270

Yes, it's very difficult for me to photograph the gap and it isn't scientific. I had a Pirelli tyre on this particular wheel too and there was a massive difference between that and this. Even the Pilot Sport 4 I had on the front wheel (previous owner didn't match up the tyres) had better protection. They're slightly noisier than before and the mpg seems to have gone down quite a bit - which blows, but they've been nice and grippy in the heavy rain we've had recently. Maybe the wetter cooler weather is the reason for the drop in mpg, or maybe I haven't had a like for like trip to assess it. I'm not complaining though. If we get a bad Winter during their lifetime and I don't damage the alloys, they'll be money well spent.View attachment 243833

0DE4BB78 DF9C 489E 99AA 0D30E736DED9

Yeah they are pretty much nothing compared to the Pirelli’s. The Pirelli had a noticeable lip that stuck out from the side wall. The design of my wheels make it stick out further than the tyres.
I’ve done over 100miles in mine now and mpg is a little better for me. Maybe it’s winter diesel that causing your mpg drop. I remember my last a6 272 when the winter fuels came in the mpg dropped 5-10%. other things to check is the cc2 are m+s rated tyres and the sticker on my car says m+S run at a higher pressure than normal summer tyres. Low pressure could increase mpg and road noise.
928F3A52 7396 4CB9 B7B5 82894C27C0C1

Well, I certainly wouldn't be in a rush to use ASDA Tyres again if I needed tyres, given there wasn't communication between them and the garage to let them know i'd booked a timeslot to get the tyres changed, so I waited at the busy garage until they could squeeze me into their busy schedule.

Also, they haven't made good on their promotion offer with Michelin, so i'm not particularly enamoured about the company, or indeed Michelin, who gave me a
Thank you again for participating in our Independents ASDA tyres Sept 21.
We’re pleased to tell you that we have validated your claim and your reward will be with you within the next 21 days.
Kind regards,
The Michelin Team
..message to let me.

Perhaps it's more Michelin's fault as they haven't come good on their claim, but as the ASDA site directed me to the Michelin claim page and the offer wasn't there on that page, so I chose the only one available to me, it's both of the companies. Teething problems from being new, or ineptitude of being unable to provide a quality service, or some other issue, I just don't know, but sometimes cheaper isn't always best and sometimes offers aren't as they seem.

I know this doesn’t help but I got mine from Kwik fit. At the time they were doing 15% off all Michelins and a Bluetooth speaker. Can’t fault the service.

I couldn't see a better offer, well a cheaper offer with Kwik Fit when I originally booked mine. "15% off" all depends on what from, so doesn't necessarily mean a better deal unless the price was similar to other sites to begin with.

The garage I chose did do a decent job, but I had to wait around 2 hours to get them fitted and that to me is where they lost any hope of being a good deal as I hate waiting unnecessarily and especially when i'd booked a timeslot. I am bummed about them not coming through with the deal yet, or having an easy to find complaints procedure to report this to. I'll give them a bit longer to come good with their promotion, then start to leave reviews voicing my displeasure if they don't come good.

I couldn't see a better offer, well a cheaper offer with Kwik Fit when I originally booked mine. "15% off" all depends on what from, so doesn't necessarily mean a better deal unless the price was similar to other sites to begin with.

The garage I chose did do a decent job, but I had to wait around 2 hours to get them fitted and that to me is where they lost any hope of being a good deal as I hate waiting unnecessarily and especially when i'd booked a timeslot. I am bummed about them not coming through with the deal yet, or having an easy to find complaints procedure to report this to. I'll give them a bit longer to come good with their promotion, then start to leave reviews voicing my displeasure if they don't come good.
I think when I looked Asda worked out the cheapest by about a fiver, if you included the voucher, but the closest partner garage was about 16 miles away whereas Kwik fit was just down the road. The 15% off was off their retail price not cash back or vouchers.
I know Kwik fit gets a bad rep but I never had any problems my local one so far, wheels were unharmed and they did it at the time slot I chose.