Alloy wheel (and bodywork) cleaning/polishing

45bvtc

The Older I Get The Better I Was
Supporter
Gold Supporter
Reaction score
So, what about wheel cleaning?

I use Flash! I bet all of you guys, married or not, will have access to a bottle of 'FLASH' under the sink. Well, try adding some to a clean bucket of water and, with a brush or sponge, wash your expensive RS3 5-spoke alloy wheels. Surprisingly, for you, off will come the brake dust. No chemicals, just Flash! I've been telling owners this for years, and now I'm telling you.

An added treat, for the wheels, would be to use a widow cleaning spray to add gloss, should you need to do so; just spray on and polish off.

Also, forget using wax polish; just use Autoglym's Rapid detailer. Wash the car bodywork with clean water; then follow with a light spray of Autoglym's Rapid Detailer and polish each panel in turn with a good micro fibre cloth - windows, and all...

So easy, and good!

So, what about wheel cleaning?

I use Flash! I bet all of you guys, married or not, will have access to a bottle of 'FLASH' under the sink. Well, try adding some to a clean bucket of water and, with a brush or sponge, wash your expensive RS3 5-spoke alloy wheels. Surprisingly, for you, off will come the brake dust. No chemicals, just Flash! I've been telling owners this for years, and now I'm telling you.

An added treat, for the wheels, would be to use a widow cleaning spray to add gloss, should you need to do so; just spray on and polish off.

Also, forget using wax polish; just use Autoglym's Rapid detailer. Wash the car bodywork with clean water; then follow with a light spray of Autoglym's Rapid Detailer and polish each panel in turn with a good micro fibre cloth - windows, and all...

So easy, and good!

A widow cleaning spray - made me laugh! Know what you meant though and good tips.

I know, I know; but just go out and try it; I bet you'll laugh out loud, then.

And Flash isn't aggressive, like most of the proprietary alloy wheel cleaners.

As for getting into clean the wheels, I use a window cleaner's 10-inch microfibre sleeve, it even gets in between the brake caliper and rim; you just need to insert a thin (2/3mm) piece of stiffening material.

The glass cleaner I use is SilverSil; most plastic window fitters use it (and it's cheap).

They all laugh when I tell them (after they've asked me how I clean my car/wheels), I'm used to it.

P1000755

My friend cleaned his white car with flash

The paintwork went dirty yellow

I laughed as he handed over 3k for a respray :)

For white cars I can recommend this stuff :-

Kits // G|Techniq

Comes from a marine background and offers excellent UV protection (against yellowing)

I've been using it on my wifes white Megane and still looking very white two years on (as well as great protection)

IMG_2148.jpg

My friend cleaned his white car with flash

The paintwork went dirty yellow

I laughed as he handed over 3k for a respray :)

Dave, I add a splash (less than a (Flash) cap-full) of Flash to a gallon of clean water and maybe a squirt of Fairy: does my wheels a treat. If your friend did clean his car with 'neat' Flash then yes, he would damage his paintwork, wouldn't he, tsk.