Alloy wheel refurb

Jp-tqs

Reaction score
Hi all, my 5 spoke rs6 style alloys are pretty tatty. Has anyone had their alloys refurbed? Im wondering what it will cost to get them looking fresh, they are'nt badly curbed just tatty mostly. Or could i do it myself?!

Do it yourself not difficult at all and you can probably sand all the marks out amazing how much you can sand alloy I've done a few sets now with good results prep properly and take you time.

Time is somthing im lacking sadly! It seems pretty straight forward to prep/spray the wheels myself. Do you think 4 wheels could be done in one weekend?

Should be able to do it in a weekend I reckon I did my last set over a weekend

No mate should be able to get some decent masking tape down between the tyre and the alloy leavening enough space to cover the rim with paint when you spray I did these in a weekend on my impreza

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 278
Looks good mate, did you spray all of the alloy? Ie, the surface behind the spokes?

You may struggle to get the paint to go off when the temperature is this low though

Can you refurb a bent lip on a wheel yourself? Mine has a slight dent probably from a pothole. It loses about 5psi a week but that might not necessarily mean it's the dent that's causing it could be the valve.

Also, while we're on painting wheels is it OK to paint them at different times or would it be noticeable? The only way I can think of doing mine is to do the full size spare then each wheel individually which would probably take a week to do with drying times.

Get the wheel checked might just need resealing you should be able to knock the rim back into shape or repair with a little alloy filler,should be ok over a week prob is this time of year you need heat for the paint to take properly don't spray in cold I take a little electric heater in my shed get it all toasty then paint should be fine

Get the wheel checked might just need resealing you should be able to knock the rim back into shape or repair with a little alloy filler,should be ok over a week prob is this time of year you need heat for the paint to take properly don't spray in cold I take a little electric heater in my shed get it all toasty then paint should be fine

Nice one, will do that. I might wait until the weather gets a little drier but good to know.

If trying to knock a dent out of alloy then heat up with a heat gun otherwise it may crack

also always wise to use heat heat gun to warm wheeel when painting in these temps to get better finish

Does anyone actually know any good alloy refurb companies that are mobile? Mine are so damaged that I can't possibly repair them myself.

Its called Avus silver. The part number LLS OM6 Z17 will get you a 150ml can of lacquer and the same of Top Coat. About £11.

Halfords "Aluminium Silver" is virtually, if not identical.

i personally would get a pro refurb!
the whole of the rims get repaired, and laquered and most probably (depending who you use), end up with factory finish rims with a guarantee!
i paid about £220, for 4 18inch rims, stripped, repaired, painted, laquered and balanced with a 12 month warranty! and they are flawless!
use a good company with a good reputation and you cant go wrong really!
cut corners and bodge it on the cheap and it will look ok but not for long imo!
"ya pays ya money ya takes ya choice!"
i am from up north so cant really recommend anybody from darn sarf though! sorry!:sorry:
but can recommend a few places up here! :icon_thumright:
good luck!

Know what you mean chez, im confident of doing an alright job, but it will be at best a bodge! Still deciding what to do as i need 4 tyres too. Currently have a full set of utter ditch finders on (from previous keeper) so doing it myself for £50 vs £200+ for a refurb is my problem!

i was in need of 4 new tyres too!
i ended up buying goodyear eagle f1 assymetric 2 for a very good price from mytyres.com , and got my wheels refurbed with the money i saved by purchasing from there rather than from a tyre place!
i just turned up at the refurb place with 4 brand new quality tyres and had these fitted at the same time as the refurb!
win win all the way!

I've done all my wheels myself if Done properly they will last had a set of speedlines still looked good almost 4 years on depends how long you take doing them, not for everyone I just enjoy doing them