Alloygators

Shadowman

Reaction score
Anyone fitted these ?

I'm getting Nath to refurb my Speedlines and i'm tempted to ask him to fit a set of these while he's there.

I know in a perfect world, you dont catch a kerb but life isn't like that !!

I'm especially interested in anyone running a slight stretch with these as i have heard this may be an issue ?

Thanks

Hi Shadowman, my firm advice on these is not to buy them. They sounded like a very good idea when I bought some for my previous car to protect my 19" BBS CK's, but some of the guys on the forum I used to be on also bought them and had them installed before I got round to fitting mine. Jeez, I'm glad I wasn't so quick off the mark on that occasion! At least 3 of the lads had one of them come flying off at high speed, but the thing is they don't just come straight off, ..one end of the 'gator' comes loose and flaps round and round at 70mph and totally wrecks the paintwork on the wing of the car!!! One guy's car sustained damage to the wing, door and mirror cover, ..all from one stray 'gator'. Needless to say I didn't bother fitting mine after all and let them go free with my car when I sold it.

Of course I do realise that those people who ended up with damaged paintwork may not have fitted them properly and it may not have been down to the Alloygator not being fit for purpose, but I certainly wouldn't risk my lovely paintwork on it. :wub: xx

Thanks for that Paullie......it's what I was afraid of, but i wanted to try to find some way of protecting the rims.

Oh well, just park as close as i dare and then book a taxi to get to the kerb i guess :))

i don't use these however both of my parents do, my dad mentioned the first set he had kept on coming undone, he since been supplied a new set which have been "updated" and they have been fine.

its worth noting these need to be fitted by authorised fitters as far as I'm aware which would in part explain why some people are experiencing failure?, certainly since the newer versions have been fitted neither of my parents have had any issues whatsoever

IT LOOKS HORRIBLE! - excuse the caps lock but i would not want something like that on my rims no matter how much it protects them lol! i'd be Extra careful then to put them on

I did give them a try as the alloys on a Honda S2000 actually stood proud of the tyre walls!!! In silver they did not look very obvious at all, but using a contrast colour would have been the height of naffness.
They were an easy DIY fit providing you followed the instructions carefully, the problem was cutting them to the right length to avoid an unsighly gap. As you re-inflate the tyre the plastic trim (which is really all the Alloygator is) shrinks, but you have to deflate the tyre to cut it to length. Too much trial and error and if you have only a foot pump you end up knackered after doing it 4 wheels. My driving was usually sensible with rare excursions above 80mph so no risk of them coming detatched.

I think that if you were to get them, then it would have to be in black....then they would just look like part of the tyre in the same way as the current protection ridge around most tyres.

Sorry to say but I'd rather pay 60 quid for refurbish than buying this piece of crap and look like a proper weirdo with them fitted. Dont see the point careful driving would do the job for sure or if missus is driving tell her she will need to buy a new one if she kerbs it:]. Btw my missus is already 250 short for a new alloy:D. Job sorted