Allroad 2.5TDi engine replacement/recondition

Yuppie

Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm the proud own of a 2003 C5 allroad with the infamous AKE 2.5TDi 180 bhp engine paired with 6 speed box with the extra low range box to boot.

Love taking it offroad and out in the snow and mud more so than driving it on road, its a surprisingly capable offroad beast when not in a ditch :respekt:

Its mostly been a trouble free car in my ownership but awhile ago the cam belt tensioner went and there was lots of unpleasant noises heard from both the car and I. Before i figured out the tensioner had gone several 'helpful' people gave the engine several hundred rotations and the damage was truly done. My mechanic(former VAG) after going over the top end has advised me that it is not an economical repair and that in his experience rebuilding only the top to keep costs down wont work out in the longer run. Basically he said the most cost effective option (if you can even call it that at the current market value of the car) is to to put a new second hand engine with a service history in or what Im currently considering buying a reconditioned/re-manufactured engine and sliding that in. The labor cost to get him to do a full rebuild won't work out any cheaper and i just don't have the time and free space to take it on myself.

I'm looking for opinions and recommendations for my situation and suggestions for reputable engine reconditioners/remanufacturers that i could buy an engine from and give them mine maybe. Engineered Engines had a good price on my model engine but I've read a lot of bad press and scandal about the company so im looking for experience based suggestions as i don't want a lemon in my lemon :lemon:

Thanks in advance for the replies and thoughts.

oJjEfAm.jpg

Out in a quarry keeping pace with fully kitted Navara with summer tyres no less.

In my opinion it is correct to replace the two (AKE) engine heads with a BAU model engine heads

In my opinion it is correct to replace the two (AKE) engine heads with a BAU model engine heads
Hi, Yep looking to replace the engine with BAU, BDH or another AKE... maybe.

The AKE engines have weaknesses (camshaft and follower) The BAU has the same engine block. If the engine has no damage to the block or pistons then two used engine heads (BAU) solve the problem

The AKE engines have weaknesses (camshaft and follower) The BAU has the same engine block. If the engine has no damage to the block or pistons then two used engine heads (BAU) solve the problem

Ok I'll keep that in mind. I don't know exactly how much damage was done below the valves, I'll have to go back to him and get specifics. The heads would still need to be skimmed down to get a solid fit though if I did go that route.

It was done in my 2002 allroad 190,000 kilometers ago by the previous owner