Allroad or Quattro ??

Tiger-G

Reaction score
Hi :)

Hope you don't mind me dropping in on the Allroad forum for some advice ??

I've had a 2009 A3 Sportback TDI Quattro for 3 years now, and it's been a great car. Especially for those one or two days of the year when it's snowing or icy and everyone else is slip sliding along going nowhere !!

The handling has been ok, but I find the suspension a bit too soft for my liking. Having said that, it is very surefooted when pushed round bends and roundabouts, and I do tend to push it a lot !! ;-). I think having decent tyres fitted makes a big difference too.

Sooooo...........to get to the point............I want a car with a bit more room for both passengers and luggage, so I'm moving up to a 2013 A4. The question is, do i go for a Avant TDI Quattro or an Allroad ?? It'll be a 2 litre, and I'll probably be getting it chipped to make up for the lack of poke due to the extra weight, compared to the A3.

As an old boy racer I still want to be able to chuck the car around on A and B roads, have excellent grip, firm suspension, and be confident in what the suspension is doing. I can't seem to find any information on what the Allroad's suspension set up is like, and I can't find much info on "dynamic mode". Is that a mode to firm up the suspension ??

Any comparisons, info, advice would be helpful on the Allroad's suspension set up, i.e, body role, stiffness, confidence in corners, etc.

I'll post this in the A4 forum too for a comparison.

Thanks in advance,
Graeme.

Hi,

I have a 2012 (facelift) 3.0Tdi Allroad. Great car, I can highly recommend it. As far as handling etc goes, it certainly doesn't suffer from body roll, the suspension seems very well resolved to me. I've driven a 'normal' A4 (all be it a saloon Ultra thingy) and it really didn't feel much different. I have to say I am probably a bit biased, as I like the rugged look of the Allroad, and not into all the lowering shenanigans that most seem to prefer on these forums.....
I feel that with the state of the roads, a little bit extra suspension travel is no bad thing. But the setup still feels pretty tight and well controlled. And I do drive in a 'spirited' manner from time to time! ;-)
Hope that is of some use!

Hi mate,

Thanks very much for the info, I think the Allroad looks great too, just that bit beefier than the Avant. Think the best thing to do is to test drive one ;-)