Alternative to long life oil

Spearo

Reaction score
So with the car out of warranty in a few days o intend to change the s4 oil every 6000 miles. Now the Castrol edge pro 5w-30 is a long life oil , but since I no longer require long life, what should I use - just a good quality 5w-30 fully synthetic????

The general view seems to be that a "longlife" oil is categorised as such because it is a good quality oil. As these can be bought for much the same price as slightly inferior non longlife oil, there is no particular need to switch because changes are being conducted more frequently.

I’m no oil scientist - so is long life oil better ....???? I mean, other than long life additives (presumably something that reduces the capacity of the lube to degrade over time ) how does regular 5w-30 differ .... can anyone direct me to a comparison or someone who knows ?

Oil basestocks and additive package are higher.

It has higher group actual synthetics 4 & 5.

And the additive package will have more detergents and dispersants , detergents prevent contaminants bonding to the metal and dispersants suspend contaminants in the oil .

Both with their polar heads with hydrocarbon tails !

Hard to understand why some appear prepared to shell out on a quality vehicle like the S4 and then penny pinch on arguably the most important consumable in the entire car. The cost savings would amount to around the cost of of one and at most two beers..... seriously?
My advice is to use the right oil and with the recommended service interval unless you have substantial proof that your theories are sound.

Dingah

Reactions: cuke2u
I hardly think opting for a 6000 mike service interval is penny pinching! Far from it ! I’ll be doing roughly 3 oil changes to every long life interval! Trust me - coverings 25,000 miles a year in an s4 is hardly economic but who cares ! My question was specifically about what alternative non long life oil might be suitable , moreover what is the best oil to use regardless of price !

I ran red line every 6k in my tuned legacy gt for 200,000+ Miles with solid results .... might be an option.

my opening question is not just about the quality of the oil but also about oil weight - I mean would a 0w-20 or even a 0w-40 be better long term ?

So with the car out of warranty in a few days o intend to change the s4 oil every 6000 miles. Now the Castrol edge pro 5w-30 is a long life oil , but since I no longer require long life, what should I use - just a good quality 5w-30 fully synthetic????
Are you not going to extend the warranty then, I certainly would with the S4, it's not like £400 a year is a huge amount...

Well maybe I owe you an apology for misunderstanding your initial post where you stated you were considering "just a good quality 5w-30 fully synthetic oil" ..........but now you are looking at fairly expensive alternatives.
My interest is to learn what your final decision will be and its basis; particularly if your decision differs from the OEM recommended oil which I assume you have used for the past three years without incident.
What do you believe is wrong with the LongLife oil which is designed to, and appears capable of providing adequate protection for service intervals far in excess of those which you propose to adopt?
Is there a body of evidence which suggests that the recommended oil is not a good or the right choice?
I guess I am of the the school of "if it ain't broke don't try and fix it" - so why change, and why would you change on the basis of opinions and/or anecdotal evidence from a random and very, very small sample size based on forum folk?
Need to move on........
Have a fine New Year and please send some rain to us poor buggers down here as the Antipodes are immersed in bushfires who's destruction has adversely impacted approx 25% of England - ****** awful beginning to the summer of 2020.

Dingah

Reactions: CHEZ
Extend warranty- ha god no !
I’ve been dreaming about the day that it’s out and I can modify the car without voiding it ( come on APR hurry up ! )

I've come from a background of quality , nearly new , JDM imports without warranty and so I'm not particularly bothered, plus I have faith in my own maintenance regime and driving for me to be content with the three years standard warranty. I’ve covered 40k now and I’m hoping that most of the niggles that can be rectified by warranty have been! Plus I’m a little disillusioned with the Audi warranty- I’ve had several cosmetic things that Audi won’t consider as defects or rectify !!! So there is no way whatsoever I’ll be giving them 400 quid for extended warranty.

I have no reason to not use long life oil but like everything in life there is always better or more effective! So I’m interested really to find out what qualities & additives are added to long life that are necessary for the 3.0t lump and what is unnecessary for 6000 mile changes. It might transpire that the prescribed long life oil is the best available option but I suspect that there is probably better, more suitable oil for short interval changes.

I plan to keep the car for 200k plus and basically do all the servicing and maintenance myself from now on ... so, satisfying myself that I’ve made the correct decision regarding service parts / fluids etc is important!

I’ve just done an oil change with 5w40 motul sport ester. Done around 1k so far car feels smoother. A Few people with hybrid turbos and stage 2 cars in USA have used the same and rave about it.

Attachments

• 393A23B8-85C3-493A-8F74-28B62E0C928D.jpeg
    393A23B8-85C3-493A-8F74-28B62E0C928D.jpeg
    74.3 KB · Views: 95
Reactions: StretchS4