Alternator clutch pulley

dave_beastttt

3000 grit
Reaction score
After developing an annoying belt squeak and subsequently fitting new aux belt and idler to find they weren't the cause, I've now diagnosed the squeak as being caused by the alternator pulley. I've ordered a new one and have seen that removal and fitting requires special tools.

Has anyone had this done at a garage, and how much did they charge? Seems to be around 10 minutes work.

Thanks

I changed an alternator pulley on my MK1 TT. I bought this tool, I would be surprised if yours was different. It's a bit more than 10 minutesas these things are well tight. I had to remove the alternator from mine to get it undone.

Reactions: dave_beastttt
Yes, managed to change it in around 30 minutes using this kit and removing the canister for easier access.

Now the issue, the belt squeak noise is still there, under light load between 1000-1500rpm, so far I've changed:-

Cam belt and tensioner, water pump, aux belt and tensioner and the alternator pulley and it's still happening?! Any ideas?

Last edited:
Ac clutch I think

Press econ button on HVAC, sound may go

Do post back if you ever find it, got the same noise on mine between the same rpm, noise mostly goes when econ button pressed.

haven’t began investigating it yet

Do post back if you ever find it, got the same noise on mine between the same rpm, noise mostly goes when econ button pressed.

haven’t began investigating it yet
Mine doesn't change when turning AC on so I'm starting to suspect it's the alternator bearings

Mine doesn't change when turning AC on so I'm starting to suspect it's the alternator bearings
Have you confirmed your AC clutch is actually disengaging when you press the econ button.

just confirmed my alternator clutch is seized so aux belt is all over the place hence sqeals when AC is on so I’ve ordered the bits to put it right

Yes my ac clutch is disengaging, glad you figured yours out, don't pay more than £28 for it

Cheers. Was £22.17 INA (oem), plus £13 for the tool kit

So after changing everything on the aux side I now know what's causing the squeaky/light rattle noise, it's the flywheel :/ Trying to source a replacement is like trying to find rocking horse poop! TPS have them for ~700 and they're LUK brand, same as ECS/GFS/CP4L who are out of stock, if anyone has one laying around, drop me a pm please.

Also, as a side note, I was getting random misfire codes on all cylinders and EML which would happen at around 3100rpm, changed all the usual culprits, new R8 red coil packs and new NGK plugs, still happened. The flywheel, where it was vibrating was triggering the knock sensor and throwing a misfire. Since the new flywheel, it hasn't happened once.

Reactions: ahtcap