Alternator Pulley Pain

Andy9

Reaction score
Hi Everone, hope you are all well, the car started with a chirping/squeeling noise from the front pulleys a few weeks ago and it seems worse when cornering for some reason or going round a roundabout, so I got the bonnet up and I could have sworn the noise was coming from the belt tensioner so I purchased another tensioner and I removed the front bumper and pulled the front forward into the `service position` and replaced the tensioner, belt and idler pulley with a Gates tensioner kit and all seemed well and nice and quiet!!, however I've gone out in the car today and guess what the bl--dy chirping noise has come back, so I'm guessing now it must be the alternator clutch pulley, I did check the pulley while the front was off and it seemed ok and I only replaced it 6000mls with an Ina replacement , I also checked all the other pulleys power steering/ a.c. compressor which I did find a small amount of wiggle on the A/c pump but not alot, what I really want to know is can you get the Alternator off to replace the pulley without taking the front bumper off again, I just can't bear the thought of it!!, 2004 1.9tdi Quattro Avf 130, as always any help will be gratefully received, andy.