Am I Being Stupid?

leeds2592

When I grow up, I want a 964!
Reaction score
Hi all,

Had my A3 for around a year and a half now and it's been fine up until a few months ago. Turns out that it needs a fair bit of work on it which will make my bank account sad so I'm thinking about selling up. I've worked out that if I sold up and bought a cheaper run around, I could end up with a good chunk of £ in the bank.

I'm also a bit bored mine at the moment, and with it only being an FSI, there's not much I can do to it to make it faster. Me and my gf are also talking about getting our own place which is a big factor in the decision.

I want to save money, but I don't want a rust bucket that I'm amshamed of so I've been looking at older S3's. Pretty nippy as standard, cheapish to buy and potential there for modding and tuning when money allows.

I know I would miss the refinement of the 8P, as well as my RNSE but I'm dying for something with a bit more umph that isn't massively expensive.

So, the big question .... am I being stupid? What would you do/buy?

2.0t 8p is quite nippy with good tuning potential too

Get an "ugly' Edition 30 :icon_thumright:

Reactions: Boydie
If you are thinking of selling up for a cheap runaround I'd look at polo gtis! Depends what you are looking for but that's what I'd have

May I suggest a mk iv Golf Gti 1.8T as a cheapish car with potential. The handling may not be go kart like but a stage 1 remap at R-Tech will release the full potential of the engine. A standard 150bhp will go up to about 185 and the standard 180 will do about 210 bhp. However the torque increase is massive and it is the torque that gives the acceleration.
I had my 150 bhp model done by R-Tech for a live remap costing £250 and it transformed the pulling power. The 150 bhp AGU engines are the strongest.
Peter

I would .... I mean YOU SHOULD buy one of these

Jaguar S-Type 4.2 V8 R 4dr Auto

Then report back to me 6month later. If you aren't bankrupt, I will buy one :)

I'm only 21, that'd make me look like I was driving around in my grandads car. Not to mention how much I'd be spending on fuel haha.

2.0t 8p is quite nippy with good tuning potential too

In an ideal world, I'd already have one, but for a decent one I'd be looking at over 6k which is too expensive.

Get an "ugly' Edition 30 :icon_thumright:

I don't actually think they're ugly at all, I do think they're a poor mans Audi though :p. I would have one, but again too expensive.

How much is a "cheap runaround"

No more than 4k, more around 3.5k.

If you are thinking of selling up for a cheap runaround I'd look at polo gtis! Depends what you are looking for but that's what I'd have

Not keen on Polo's, a bit too small and girly.

May I suggest a mk iv Golf Gti 1.8T as a cheapish car with potential. The handling may not be go kart like but a stage 1 remap at R-Tech will release the full potential of the engine. A standard 150bhp will go up to about 185 and the standard 180 will do about 210 bhp. However the torque increase is massive and it is the torque that gives the acceleration.
I had my 150 bhp model done by R-Tech for a live remap costing £250 and it transformed the pulling power. The 150 bhp AGU engines are the strongest.
Peter

Not a fan of the older style Golfs, so that rules that out.

Thanks for all the suggestions! Massively swaying towards an 8L S3 due to the price and how nippy they are as standard. Going from 150bhp to 210/220bhp (dependent on what engine I go for) would be a nice step up with the potential for more power when/if money allows.

Spend more money on yours, that cures boredem :beerchug:

Reactions: wuta3
I sort of wish i'd gone for an 8L S3 and worked to make it bonkers. Mind you, as said above, go for the 2.0TFSI ... thinking man's 8P S3

Spend more money on yours, that cures boredem :beerchug:

Without spending silly money, which is the opposite of my plan, I can't make mine go much faster. Just fancy something different mate.

I sort of wish i'd gone for an 8L S3 and worked to make it bonkers. Mind you, as said above, go for the 2.0TFSI ... thinking man's 8P S3

In an ideal world, I'd have a 2.0TFSI DSG but its not going to happen in the next few years so may as well get something a bit cheaper which'll put a smile back on my face when I drive it.