Am I Being Too Critical

Ajwhite

Reaction score
So I have been to see a local b8.5, 2012 S4 Avant with the panoramic sunroof. it has 100k on the clock and £14,995 asking.

Looking at it, several stone chips around the car, some that have been left for a while, starting to rust and bubble on the bonnet, generally just dirty & doesnt scream well looked after. Wheels need attention etc.

Test drove, and wow! I want one, that sound the steering is quite good for an Audi (I'm coming from a Skoda vRS) the noise, the cabin quality all great. IMO much better than a newer Skoda in terms of feel.

Reading through the service history, although it comes with 'full history' there are only breakdowns of whats been done for 5 out of the 10 services, Stronic oil changed every 35k, but no mention of belts, water pumps, timing chain even been looked at let alone changed. Spark plugs from what I can see were only changed at 65k, which to me is mental on a charged 3.0l

My point is, Am I being too critical or is this car overpriced from what i can see?

I have seen many 10 year old + cars in way better nick and with reams of paperwork. This one seemed a bit meh with not much paperwork for top dollar.

Then walk away, you've already convinced yourself it's not upto standard you want, we don't need to authenticate your own thoughts tbh as it's done.

Reactions: spartacus68, Ajwhite, Frizzley and 1 other person
I had more work than you’ve listed done, and documented, on my S4, and I only had it for six years and 45,000 miles. Also, and this is just me, I wouldn’t ever contemplate a car that age with a panoramic sunroof.

Reactions: Ajwhite and audiwaterpump
Stone chips not treated speaks volumes, what else wasn’t dealt with? Walk away.

In defence of panoramic sunroofs, if it’s leaking, then it’s relatively easy to identify from water damaged roof lining. True, weather has been dry. As soon as Autumn weather hits you’ll chase your tail to fix. If there’s rubber floor mats it’s amazing how sound deadening material under carpet retains moisture. I still like them but I’m a fool and have repaired mine 6-7 times. The car is a keeper, so it is what it is.

Reactions: Ajwhite and audiwaterpump
FWIW plugs at 65K is OK. But the belts should have been done too.

Reactions: audiwaterpump
Looking at it, several stone chips around the car, some that have been left for a while, starting to rust and bubble on the bonnet,
Credit, where credit is due.
It's very rare to see rust on an Audi; unlike the rusty Mercedes.
Where has it lived most of its life?

Credit, where credit is due.
It's very rare to see rust on an Audi; unlike the rusty Mercedes.
Where has it lived most of its life?
I did think the bonnet and wings we aluminium? But obviously not

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

I had more work than you’ve listed done, and documented, on my S4, and I only had it for six years and 45,000 miles. Also, and this is just me, I wouldn’t ever contemplate a car that age with a panoramic sunroof.
Yeah, my thoughts exactly I was expecting quite a bit file of history not 5 service sheets!

Definitely a

This is 90 miles away from you in Swindon. :whistle2:
So I have been to see a local...

2014 plate B8.5 on 87k miles, panoramic roof, leather, custom exhaust and upgraded alloys with history at £17,995. You get what you pay for.

I did see that, looks very tempting! Although I think I've put myself off the panoramic sunroof now

So I have been to see a local b8.5, 2012 S4 Avant with the panoramic sunroof. it has 100k on the clock and £14,995 asking.

Looking at it, several stone chips around the car, some that have been left for a while, starting to rust and bubble on the bonnet, generally just dirty & doesnt scream well looked after. Wheels need attention etc.

Test drove, and wow! I want one, that sound the steering is quite good for an Audi (I'm coming from a Skoda vRS) the noise, the cabin quality all great. IMO much better than a newer Skoda in terms of feel.

Reading through the service history, although it comes with 'full history' there are only breakdowns of whats been done for 5 out of the 10 services, Stronic oil changed every 35k, but no mention of belts, water pumps, timing chain even been looked at let alone changed. Spark plugs from what I can see were only changed at 65k, which to me is mental on a charged 3.0l

My point is, Am I being too critical or is this car overpriced from what i can see?

I have seen many 10 year old + cars in way better nick and with reams of paperwork. This one seemed a bit meh with not much paperwork for top dollar.

This is what the Audi online portal service schedule showed for my B8.5 if it helps. There was nothing for the diffs and gearbox so I decided 70k. I don't think that there is a schedule for the timing chain and it's perhaps a case of when you start to hear it get it done. Big job though, engine out as it is at the rear.

AgeAt MileageItem
-40,000Dual Clutch fluid
2 Years40,000Dust & Pollen Filter
-60,000Air Filter
-60,000Poly V-belt for compressor
6 Years60,000Spark Plugs
2 Years-Brake Fluid
1 Year-Oil & Filter
Owner Input:70,000Front & Rear Diff Fluid (includes gearbox)

Reactions: Eric_RS6, audiwaterpump and Ajwhite