Am I weird or do you all do it ?

JustLulu

Reaction score
So it just happened that my best bish ordered her new car a week ish before I ordered mine gutted that she had hers delivered within the month ( not an Audi ) and I still don't have one .

Anyway we was driving along and something popped up on her dash and she was clueless , she had to put her mirrors in herself before she turned the car off and didn't understand how the new locking system works. I asked if she had read the book ,looked around the car and familiarised herself with the car to which she said was a strange thing to do.

I always do it with mine ,my partner's and Mons cars (this will be my second car) but also I pre buy new air fresheners, a car kit, folding shopping baskets etc and with the finish on my Audi a protective cover for the centre console .

When my car is delivered I will sit in it reading the book and putting my stuff in n doing settings

Is that weird ??

Reactions: STmichael
I spend a good half an hour playing with settings, putting the seat / steering right, find interesting things in the car, and also admire the car from every angle from the outside when I first got it yea. If by book you mean the manual, then I only read that when I have to! If you mean like a novel, then no I don't do that not even at home. Sometimes I just sit in the car and listen to 15 mins worth of music on the B&O sound system.

Reactions: DreamInCode
it is perfectly normal!!

I have to admit I will spend many an hour going through every menu, pressing every button (luckily stopped at the SOS one!) - checking every cubby hole and area of the car - no setting goes unexplored - even if that means going back when it's dark to play with the brightness settings. Oh and the obligatory exploration of every possible seat/wheel setting configuration until the driving position is perfect.

After a day or two, then that is time for a cursory skim through the manual to see what I have missed, or to explain any bings and bongs that occur....

Reactions: JustLulu and MA3RC
So it just happened that my best bish ordered her new car a week ish before I ordered mine gutted that she had hers delivered within the month ( not an Audi ) and I still don't have one .

Anyway we was driving along and something popped up on her dash and she was clueless , she had to put her mirrors in herself before she turned the car off and didn't understand how the new locking system works. I asked if she had read the book ,looked around the car and familiarised herself with the car to which she said was a strange thing to do.

I always do it with mine ,my partner's and Mons cars (this will be my second car) but also I pre buy new air fresheners, a car kit, folding shopping baskets etc and with the finish on my Audi a protective cover for the centre console .

When my car is delivered I will sit in it reading the book and putting my stuff in n doing settings

Is that weird ??
I always try to seek and obtain manuals before I actually own a car, then read them thoroughly several times before I collect.

I'm dyslexic or something these settings are just too much to get my head around, I tat about and f*** everything up then have to watch YouTube videos over and over again until I get it right and put it back to normal, god help me when I get my RS, had my golf r for nearly 12 months worked out the two most important things race mode and heaters.

Reactions: JustLulu
Personally, I read the manual as it’s the only way to be sure that I understand everything that the car can do. (And, for example, it’s better to have an idea of how to change the spare wheel before you actually have to do it.) But, that is unusual, most people work it out as they go along and, as a result, probably never understand the full capabilities of the very expensive thing that they are driving. (I once knew someone who assumed that they had to enable stability control every time they started their car, until I gently pointed out that they had actually been disabling it! And I know quite a few people who have never worked out how to use cruise control effectively.)

Last edited:
Reactions: JustLulu and STmichael
I am a avid reader of the manuals. My wife drives the car off the forecourt while I pull the manual out of the glovebox and start reading. I have always done this. The only way to really appreciate new tech is to read the manual

Reactions: JustLulu and AdamInKent
I spend a good half an hour playing with settings, putting the seat / steering right, find interesting things in the car, and also admire the car from every angle from the outside when I first got it yea. If by book you mean the manual, then I only read that when I have to! If you mean like a novel, then no I don't do that not even at home. Sometimes I just sit in the car and listen to 15 mins worth of music on the B&O sound system.
Yes I mean the manual lol

it is perfectly normal!!

I have to admit I will spend many an hour going through every menu, pressing every button (luckily stopped at the SOS one!) - checking every cubby hole and area of the car - no setting goes unexplored - even if that means going back when it's dark to play with the brightness settings. Oh and the obligatory exploration of every possible seat/wheel setting configuration until the driving position is perfect.

After a day or two, then that is time for a cursory skim through the manual to see what I have missed, or to explain any bings and bongs that occur....
Glad it's not just me