AMI connectivity options?

dbm

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I would have posted this in the ICE forum but I'm not sure exactly which version of AMI comes with the RS3 so it seemed wisest to go to the experts...

I'll be picking my RS3 up on Monday :) and then it's a 200 mile drive home, so I want to make sure I am sorted for music / pod casts and satnav. I know the car comes with satnav built in, but I understand it is a quite basic version lacking full postcode search and camera alerts (surely an essential feature on a car like the RS3?). Up until now I have been using my iPhone 4S and a Kingston phone cradle as satnav and ICE in my TTS - the cradle connects out to the AUX port and works fine.

I'd like to be able to sort a similar or better configuration for the RS3, and I hear that the AMI has quite a few options with it, including superior iPod integration. So please can anyone explain the options and whether any additional peripherals are needed? Simple AUX in will do at a push, but full integration would be better if possible.

Cheers,
Dan

hi dan, to answer your question i think ,when i plug the iphone or ipod into the interface all the info tracklist song names folders etc appear on the nav screen and also all phone contacts and info and its all controlled via the cockpit so you dont have to touch your phone/ipod again, i do agree the sat nav is plop without full postcode and is abit hard work around certain parts of central london and suffers with lag , im sure there will be some sort of cracked program made by somone to add full postcode and speed cam alert like i got done on my m3 which completely changed the standard factory nav into a beast!!!!!

good luck with your new car and be sure to post your pics or vids up in the section and show it off

cheers and welcome to rs3 ownership

apparently these guys do a disc with scameras as a POI

SatNavSystems

I wouldnt want to loose the steering controls of the head unit / ipod / SD Cards

Thanks Dave and Sticks.

Dave - what are you thinking of when you say you wouldn't want to lose the MFSW controls?

I have not seen a replacement head unit that supports the steering controls

It's good enough for me anyway

I had a few niggles with connecting my iPhone 4 via the cable, the AMI struggled to scroll through the track listings and point blank refused to play my audible audiobooks, lots of ?? in the menus and just very slow.

I now use an old and quite basic iPod for music and audio files and this works perfectly, it's fast and plays all the audiobooks no problem - exactly the same files so no idea why the iPhone was such an issue. The other bonus is I get to keep the iPhone in my pocket and don't have to trudge back to the car having forgotten it...again! I'd also recommend getting your playlists in order it just makes searching the iPod quicker and easier via the onscreen display.

Hard to understand why my little Skoda Fabia had seamless audio streaming via bluetooth but the RS3 doesn't!

This nav/ami is one are where the C63 AMG Command Online system is far better, Google maps and automatic speed limit recognition via the front cameras is an awesome gadget!

I had a few niggles with connecting my iPhone 4 via the cable, the AMI struggled to scroll through the track listings and point blank refused to play my audible audiobooks, lots of ?? in the menus and just very slow.

I now use an old and quite basic iPod for music and audio files and this works perfectly, it's fast and plays all the audiobooks no problem - exactly the same files so no idea why the iPhone was such an issue. The other bonus is I get to keep the iPhone in my pocket and don't have to trudge back to the car having forgotten it...again! I'd also recommend getting your playlists in order it just makes searching the iPod quicker and easier via the onscreen display.

Hard to understand why my little Skoda Fabia had seamless audio streaming via bluetooth but the RS3 doesn't!

This nav/ami is one are where the C63 AMG Command Online system is far better, Google maps and automatic speed limit recognition via the front cameras is an awesome gadget!

Hi mbk my iPhone 4s syncs fine m8 maybe you should pop into Audi as might be a duff interface lead or somthing stupid like that , and yer that front mounted camera with automatic street sign speed limit etc is a tool, I had a new m5 for a few days and it had it but I don't mind just having speed cam alerts and a decent full postcode search which in 2012 a £60 satnav would do as standard