AMI lightning adaptor for iPhone

monkeyboy_marcus

Reaction score
Simple question that I should be able to answer for myself but the car is in the shop after I rubber necked a pretty girl for too long and went into the back of someone with a trailer bar. Made a right mess of the rad/grill/air con unit/bonnet/bumper etc and she wasn't all that special. Anywho, the RS3 I have came with an Apple adaptor suitable for the old model of iPhone (30 pin) and I've upgraded to iPhone 6 which has a lightning adaptor. Whilst the old iPod works, the new iPhone doesn't, even when using one of the small converter adaptors. So I'm looking to replace the AMI cable with a replacement lightning one but was wondering if it is as simple as unplugging from inside the glove box, or whether it is a more complex job? I'll find out on Friday when she's back from the shop (after a month but still quicker than the time I felled a tree to purposefully demolish the garage forgetting the car was still inside) but could do with getting the part ordered in the meantime. Any assistance appreciated.

I have a lightening cable in my RS it has a yellow tab around the connector and this doesn't work on my iPhone 6. There are different colours for different models. But I've since bought a tunes2air system which works via Bluetooth to play your music via the AMI. And yes simple unplug from glovebox

Reactions: monkeyboy_marcus
I have a lightening cable in my RS it has a yellow tab around the connector and this doesn't work on my iPhone 6. There are different colours for different models. But I've since bought a tunes2air system which works via Bluetooth to play your music via the AMI. And yes simple unplug from glovebox

That's really good to know, thanks Jay. Now looking into tunes2air - looks like a good system. Can you makes calls via bluetooth/use this system at the same time?

Yup, it ticks all the boxes. You can scroll through on the screen with song titles listed. It pauses music when an incoming call comes, and returns when call ended. Brilliant little idea, bit on the expensive side but avoids going in and out of glovebox continuously.

Mate, thanks for the info. Baled out on the eBay purchase of the cable with the yellow tab since I have the same RS3/iPhone 6 combo and have ordered the tunes2air. Seems like a much more convenient solution and I can sell the redundant iPod to cover the cost!

You probably won't get a lot to be honest for the iPod cable, main dealer there £40. eBay I think you'll be lucky to get £20 but nevertheless tunes2air is a much better idea. Just make sure you've ordered the correct model for your phone/car.

Meant that I'll flog the iPod that was previously used in the car rather than the cable, since I can now use the iPhone for tunes in the same way I have for hands-free calling via Bluetooth :) Model I've ordered is the WMA 3000A. Now I just need the RS3 back from the shop!

That's really good to know, thanks Jay. Now looking into tunes2air - looks like a good system. Can you makes calls via bluetooth/use this system at the same time?
I've been using Tune2Air for years now and it is fantastic, though it has a couple of quirks.

You can't make Bluetooth calls using the Tune2Air, though you can use a separate Bluetooth headset or adapter to make calls whilst using the T2A for music.

Siri gets confused when you have T2A. It will route the Siri command to your T2A even though there is no microphone function via that mechanism, and this renders voice control useless for practical purposes whilst driving. You can override this each time on your phone screen, but it's a massive pain.

All in all, it's a great bit of kit.

Hi DBM - thanks for the info. Received the Tunes2Air from http://www.viseeostore.com/viseeo-tune2air-wma3000a.html this morning - impressive service considering I only ordered it y'day afternoon. Now I just need the car back!

I assume that calls can be made via the standard hands-free kit that comes with the RS3, rather than via Tunes2Air? Jay indicates above that it pauses the music when a call comes through.

Siri - tried it out once and have since turned off the feature entirely!

Will review and post an update next week.

Yes I assumed already that the car would have Bluetooth handsfree anyway. But the tunes2air works as I stated before. Also if you use your sat nav on your phone and it directs you through the speakers the music goes a lot more quieter whilst the information is being described