AMI on a B7

PetrolDave

Reaction score
I had previously swapped the pre-2010 RNS-E in my 2006 B7 RS4 to a 2010 RNS-E (an A3 one with the faceplate swapped) so that I could play SDHC cards instead of SD cards.

Today I finally fitted the 8P0 057 785 AMI that had been in my study for over a year, so I now have a 250GB hard drive with all my music sitting in the glovebox.

It took about 2 hours (I had previously swapped the audio leads into a 32-pin AV connector that the RNS-E uses) to route the cable alongside the CD changer cable (so I could easily swap back if needed) and solder the 4 connections (+12V, GND, CAN Lo & CAN Hi). A couple of minutes coding from 309753 to 309721 to enable the AMI and disable the CD changer, and I had a working AMI.

AMI unit in glovebox:
th_P5061392A.jpg

Hard drive appearing on MEDIA menu:
th_P5061393A.jpg

Album playing from hard drive:

Last edited:
You sly git PD, well done mate, great install, so it will work even if the gateway doesnt support the unit on the network, very very interesting & greatful as I was studying how to run a secondary canbus gateway on the car from the 8P/TT/R8 to allow coding it as live.

Have you tested with an ipod/iphone as yet mate?

DIS shows data ok?

MF controls working with AMI?

You sly git PD, well done mate, great install, so it will work even if the gateway doesnt support the unit on the network, very very interesting & greatful as I was studying how to run a secondary canbus gateway on the car from the 8P/TT/R8 to allow coding it as live.
I'd seen posts on Audi Forum where people had tried it on a B7 and it had worked, so I gave it a go!

Have you tested with an ipod/iphone as yet mate?
No, I haven't sold my soul to Apple :box:

DIS shows data ok?
Yep, shows the track name on the top line and AMI on the second line.

MF controls working with AMI?
Dunno, I've got a "proper" RS4 steering wheel not an MFSW :icon_thumright:

No as ami is only supported on mk2.

Do you have to mount the AMI in the section on the glove box, I mean, could you dismantle it an stick it somewhere else? I have a PS 2 on the top shelf so no room for the AMI there.... I'm thinking glovebox for the cable to appear with the gubbins under the centreconsole, or present the ami cable to where the ashtray would be?
I have a B6 A4 but see it will work on a car from audiforum.us - what coding and cabling would be required?

Chas

Do you have to mount the AMI in the section on the glove box
You don't have to but it's designed to have the same fixings as the CD changer, so I just pulled out the CD changer and put the AMI there.

I have a B6 A4 but see it will work on a car from audiforum.us - what coding and cabling would be required?
Coding? - just change the RNS-E coding to 0xxxx2x to enable the AMI.

Cabling? - I bought an 8K0 051 592 from the local Audi dealer and modified it, but some eBay sellers include the correct cable for an RNS-E if you buy the AMI from them (tell them it's for an 8P A3 to get the right cable).

I cant see ami showing for seat in etka, shows the unit but no part no. or price, but thats not to say you couldnt retrofit it.

I cant see ami showing for seat in etka, shows the unit but no part no. or price, but thats not to say you couldnt retrofit it.

Thanks, I just wondered that it might be easier than the faceplate swap on an A3 unit.

Reactions: flylife2k
Hello,
I just tried it.
It does not work ...
I have a 193B and RNSE AMI 8P.
The rns-e show "incompatibility".
Is it normal to still see the CD changer with AMI even after a (and more) reset RNSE.
Is it normal when a iphone / ipod is not powered at connection?
any idea?
thanks

Hello,
I just tried it.
It does not work ...
I have a 193B rns-e and AMI 8P.
The rns-e show "incompatibility".
Is it normal to still see the CD changer with AMI even after a (and more) reset RNSE.
Is it normal when a iphone / ipod is not powered at connection?
any idea?
thanks

It does work, what exactly have you done, did you use new wiring?

I bought this cable from Kufatec.
Kabelsatz Audi Music Interface AMI - RNS-E Audi A3 8P-37575
I checked the wiring PIN ok
Recode the rnse with ..XX21
Reset the RNSE.
When I turn the RNSE, It has in part a media AMI tab grayed out, it is indicated as "not connected".
When I disconnect the plug on the back of the AMI and I reconnected, the RNSE says "boot" and "incompatibility".
that's all.

Yes you can have AMI and CD changer, when do you get the incompatibility message?

Do you have the right Ipod cable with a blue band on it?

Last edited:
I made several tests:
with CD-changer and AMI connected with the RNS-E coded for both
with CD-changer and AMI connected with the RNS-E coded for AMI only
Without the CD and AMI plugged and RNS-E coded for AMI

Always the same result ....

Yes you can have AMI and CD changer, when do you get the incompatibility message?

Do you have the right Ipod cable with a blue band on it?

I bought from my dealer a kit 4F0051510S with a cable for ipod / iphone 4F051510R (with a burgundy band) and a USB cable.
I did some tests with iphone 4S and an old ipod video classic 60GB
You think it is that this is the AMI does not work?
What type of RNS-E with you made ​​the arrangements?
193B, G others?
It works with a 193B?

I have used 193B & G units, I thought the burgundy banded was for MMI 3G+ that could display video. I have heard reports of issues with that cable. I would use the blue banded K cable.

What message do you get with nothing connected to the AMI?

"No device attached" or something similar? and then the incompatibility message when you connect an IPod?

Last edited:
It definitely DOES work, I've been using it every time I driove my B7 RS4 since I fitted the AMI last year.

The picture on the Kufatec website shows that as a Quadlock only cable - which means it can't work with the RNS-E.

The AMI connects using the Aux In connections which on the RNS-E are not on the Quadlock, they are on the AV connector.

Other things to check:
- that you have bought a CAN bus AMI and not a MOST fibre optic bus AMI
- that you have a 2010+ RNS-E and not a pre-2010 RNS-E

Sorry if some of those seem obvious, but those are things that some people have missed when trying to do this retrofit.

Reactions: NHN
yes it's true.
There are 2 type of connection on the cable.
The quadlock is used to retrieve the can bus high and low, the ground and the +12 v
the 32 pin connector with 3 audio connections ...

Ok
but the problem is that no log AMI I still have the same message ...
You have installed AMI on B7 RS4 with 193B?

Thanks for your Help.

with or without an iPhone/ipod connected i have the same message :"incompatibility"
do you have already install an AMI in a RS4 B7 with a 193B rns-e?

I cannot say for sure wether I have fitted with B or G, but it does not matter which is used. I have fitted into B7 RS4 AMI and RNS-E with no issues.

In my own car I have RNS-E B model with AMI and it is an A2 which is very similar to B7 RS4 electronics. K-line, infotainment canbus etc.

That's the correct cable as its the 8P version.

I would reset the rns & see if it comes up, make sure your ami cable is the correct version & the ami unit is correct aswell as Dave has stated, I hazard a guess its the wrong ami cable or ami unit.

The AMI Unit is an AMI CAN for A3 8P parts number 8P0 035 785. And the cable is made for A3 8P too.
The +12 v is stung on the connector D pin 15
The ground is stung on the connector D pin 12
can bus high on pin 9 and low on pin 10.
Sound goes to pin 6,21 and 22 on the 32 pin connector.

For me the cable is ok. no?
Reset? I have done several times by pressing the radio and the setup buttons.

What are the coding instructions step by step on a 2011 A3? I would like to test the AMI on another car to see if it works or not ...
thank you

What are the coding instructions step by step on a 2011 A3? I would like to test the AMI on another car to see if it works or not ...
There's only one step:
- change the coding of the RNS-E to 0xxxx2x, see Audi Radio/Navigation System (RNS-E) - Ross-Tech Wiki (AMI is shown as "digital radio" for some bizarre reason known only to Ross-Tech).

BTW by posting in this Forum and in the RS4 Forum you're splitting your replies which isn't helping you get this solved quickly - double posting is never a good idea... but listening to s8craig is ALWAYS a good idea, he has so much experience and knowledge.

Last edited:
Hadn't seen that Dave, seems he has everything wired up correctly, can't understand why it isn't working except for faulty parts.

But I would like to see it.

It appears you have the correct parts and adapter cable, so as s8craig says it's looking like faulty parts.

Where did you get the AMI from?

I will get it merged, please keep all posts in one thread from now on.

I am with Craig on this & as per my post in the other thread, the red ami cable isnt shown compatible with the 8P at all, maybe this is where your issue lies as I've never seen the red/burgundy cable used on the 8P ami units, always seen red used on the full mmi & the ATP search in etka for all models shows from 09 onwards for all cars with full MMI only.

Also I believe this is why its either saying not installed or not compatible because of the said cable fitted, I had the similar response when I was messing with a B8 CAN AMI unit I plugged into an 8P out of research :)

so as s8craig says it's looking like faulty parts.

Where did you get the AMI from?

I bought it used.
To be sure I would test tomorrow installation in my A3 sportback tomorrow.
I also will test the USB cable had the same reference for all AMI

the daily news !!
I made several tests:
Already contrary to what I said above the "incompatibility" message appears only when you connect a device.
Test with the USB connector and connected my iPhone 4S via its USB cable. Result: Incompatibility. Normal?
Test with a USB key: first result incompatibility.
I started to believe that the AMI unit was a faulty parts.
While I had everything disassembled I have an idea. I work on Mac ; is the USB stick that I used is fat format?
Not. So I redid the test after formatting.
And everything works.
So S8craig was right, i have a problem with my iphone connector who is not the good reference.
I have two questions anyway.
it is normal that the iphone connected via the USB cable is not functional?
With the 4F0051510K cable (with blue edging) when the iphone is running, is it possible to have in the car speakers music and sounds of an application running in the background?
In any case thank you very much for your help.