Android Audi MMI App - Track car if in use?

thefunkygibbon

Reaction score
Ok, so what the heck is the reasoning behind not being able to see where the car is located when it is moving or has ignition/engine on?

To be able to see where the wife is to be able to get a cuppa on the table for her, and for her to see how far away i am from home etc would be extremely useful. Let alone if, god forbid, the car was stolen... it would be VERY useful to know where the car actually was, rather than waiting for it to be parked up and switched off.
I think insurance companies wouldn't even consider it unless you can track the car at all times, which you can't with this.
Seems very much like a missed opportunity, but someone somewhere must have actually made the choice of not allowing the tracking when the car is on. I can't honestly say I can think of any valid reason why.

Add-on question... is there any VCDS/ODB11 hacks which would circumvent this?

well thats what we're having to do now (mobile). I don't care enough about it that i need to buy a new tracker (and therefore sim card/contract etc) the discount on the insurance isn't that massive. my point was that the car is perfectly capable of doing what i described, given that it does do that already for when the car is off. just seems an odd decision and/or was hoping it might be something I was doing wrong or someway to tweak it so that it does work.

It doesn't really track the car just takes the phone's reference in google maps when the phone is disconnected from the car, ie the ignition switched off, not quite the same as actual tracking. Personally the only need I'd have for this is knowing the wife is coming up the road and I was bonking the maid. Seeing as I have neither its not a problem ;-)

Well that can't be right. I've driven, parked when i didn't have my phone on me, then checked the location and it was correct. There would no real point if it worked like you suggest.

I was only going on what someone else posted in this forum so I was incorrectly informed. It must then just take the position of the car in google maps when the ignition is turned off...