Android Auto confusion

themikeyboosh

Reaction score
Hi all,

Soon, I'm going to make the plunge and get a A6 Avant Black Edition. I will be planning on keeping it for 5+ years so I want to make sure I future proof it as much as I can.

So on my "must have list" is having the "Tech Pack", as the non upgraded screen's resolution is woeful.

This brings me to my question - is it possible to run Android Auto on the facelift (MY 2015) model? I've read conflicting reports, some people are saying you can "activate" it. Some people say it needs to be MY 2017.

Has anyone got any experience with this?

Thanks

Hi all,

Soon, I'm going to make the plunge and get a A6 Avant Black Edition. I will be planning on keeping it for 5+ years so I want to make sure I future proof it as much as I can.

So on my "must have list" is having the "Tech Pack", as the non upgraded screen's resolution is woeful.

This brings me to my question - is it possible to run Android Auto on the facelift (MY 2015) model? I've read conflicting reports, some people are saying you can "activate" it. Some people say it needs to be MY 2017.

Has anyone got any experience with this?

Thanks

From what I understand...

The hardware comes pre installed on MY2017 so you just gotta pay and get it activated.
On MY2015 the hardware is not installed so you would need to buy a kit off Ali express and install it

A7 3.0tdi 272 Black Edition Mythos Black Tech pack

There are options, depending on the year.

If its a late 2015 facelift model (C7.5) there is a workaround to enable CarPlay/AA, depending on what your current software release is.

If its a mid 2016 onwards model, then it will either come with CarPlay enabled, or you can have it enabled by the dealer (£££...)

If its a pre-facelift, pre mid 2015 (C7), then the only option (that Im aware of) is to purchase 3rd party hardware and install that.

:racer:

Reactions: Bishop187
There are options, depending on the year.

If its a late 2015 facelift model (C7.5) there is a workaround to enable CarPlay/AA, depending on what your current software release is.

If its a mid 2016 onwards model, then it will either come with CarPlay enabled, or you can have it enabled by the dealer (£££...)

If its a pre-facelift, pre mid 2015 (C7), then the only option (that Im aware of) is to purchase 3rd party hardware and install that.

:racer:

What is the late 2015 workaround to enable CarPlay/AA?

My car is a facelift on a 64 plate (C7.5) registered in Dec 2014. My MMI is upto date

Here is the link that will give you all the information on retrofiting CC/AA to a facelift C7.5 A6. https://forum.rs246.com/viewtopic.php?f=76&t=132014 Word of warning if something goes wrong with the firmware update and it sometime does, don't expect the seller of the hacked car play version to fix your MMI system, he will just close the remote session and disappear... After that you could end up with a 4 figure repair bill.

If you buy a Model Year (MY) 17 then the dealer can retrofit CC/AA https://shops.audi.com/en_GB/web/zu...for-the-audi-smartphone-interface-4m0051472-9

Warning if you go down the hack route, and your car is still under warranty you will lose warranty on the MMI system, as the firmware needs to be updated and a hacked license is applied. Audi don't like you updating your car, so they will just blame the update if something goes wrong as they know what software version & license are applied to the car.

Here is the link to the US Forum where there is an in-depth discussion on the matter, and where loads of people (including @Golfather) have had the activation carried out with no issues.

The main thing to be aware of is that this is not a hack, its an installation of the OEM software followed by activation of CarPlay. This is something Audi could provide, but have refused. If your in warranty its at your own risk of course.

Im having this done next week.

Discussion here

Just to clarify - This is only for the C7.5 6 & 7 series platforms. It will not work on the pre-facelift models, or some early C7.5 firmware versions.

The guy running the upgrade checks all of this before doing the install.

I think we have a different opinion of what a hack is, the only legitimate way of activating AC/AA is VIA ODIS. It's kind of like the 3GP map updates you can download them and apply the update/hack to activate them, but again the only legitimate way is via ODIS. Also if the car is re-recalled for an MMI update/fix then the dealer would overwrite everything the installer has done, and once the update is done AC/AA would not longer work. However if it was done via a licensed version of ODIS it would still be working even after the update as the licenses are applied after the update is complete.

Also the installer knows updates can and do go wrong, as they have done for me over the years, that is why he stops the B&O AMP from being updated as it's a know issue that updating the AMP causes issues, it used to happen on the Bose AMP's as well as I've fixed a few using VCP over the years.

Last edited:
Here is the link to the US Forum where there is an in-depth discussion on the matter, and where loads of people (including @Golfather) have had the activation carried out with no issues.

The main thing to be aware of is that this is not a hack, its an installation of the OEM software followed by activation of CarPlay. This is something Audi could provide, but have refused. If your in warranty its at your own risk of course.

Im having this done next week.

Discussion here

Totally recommended!
If anyone is hesitating and hasnt had it done yet, get it done now! Brings the car bang up to date

Odis, yes thats the official way however only activated through factory on late 16 onwards due to licensing agreement with Apple. But hardware is capable from facelift 15 onwards, so uploading with a smartphone activated firmware is the only way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's why I say it's a hack as it a licensed feature, and yes I know official route is limited to later model cars, so I fully understand why people go down the non-Audi route.

CarPlay and Android Audi now activated.

New MMI software version for C7.5 MIB2
7BE486DC-B493-4956-BDA0-CB89EACD352C_zpspm216rtl.jpeg

8C0EBA88-38EE-4219-9971-44985FF968B7_zps9wbj03nr.jpeg

5A3BE39E-43B0-42BB-844C-EC2C0D91AF08_zpsk4zlynzf.jpeg

Painless install. Biggest challenge was using my MacBook for the install....:racer:

Reactions: Spiedhermonkey
CarPlay and Android Audi now activated.

New MMI software version for C7.5 MIB2
7BE486DC-B493-4956-BDA0-CB89EACD352C_zpspm216rtl.jpeg

8C0EBA88-38EE-4219-9971-44985FF968B7_zps9wbj03nr.jpeg

5A3BE39E-43B0-42BB-844C-EC2C0D91AF08_zpsk4zlynzf.jpeg

Painless install. Biggest challenge was using my MacBook for the install....:racer:

You need to delete your SMS SIM archive :salute:

Hi Dave,

Whats the reason behind needing to delete the SMS Archive?

John.

I thought I was because if your messages sign

3000136b1302b27d402768623df556b5.jpg

RAF who did u get this activated from. Did u use the remote access on laptop method or Audi?

Reactions: RAF_S7
I thought I was because if your messages sign

3000136b1302b27d402768623df556b5.jpg

RAF who did u get this activated from. Did u use the remote access on laptop method or Audi?

Via remote access with the guy in China...
Details are further up this posting.

@Bishop187 is correct about the icon at the bottom of the MMI.
The limit is 50 SMS messages I think, it will prevent new messages showing in the MMI unless it's cleared.
You can clear it by opening a text message in the MMI and I think going into the options at the bottom of the message where you normally reply.
You can also do this in your phone. For Android, go to the messaging app and choose settings, text messages, more settings manage SIM messages and the option is there to select all then delete - if my memory serves me well!
I don't know where the option lives in iOS.

Great job on the AA activation BTW!
Dave.

Can i do it on mine

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190606-101020_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20190606-101020_Gallery.jpg
    521.8 KB · Views: 429
Can i do it on mine

Can’t tell from the picture.

It only works on facelift models, with the navigation map shown between the dials - this is the MIB2 model of the MMI system.

You can message the guy direct via the Telegraph App. His details are in this posting here

Does maps show up in between the dials when using AA?

Does maps show up in between the dials when using AA?

Not when your using Waze as the navigation.

When using google maps, you get a generic map, but without any navigation overlay. At least that’s what I got when I last tried it. There has been an AA app update since, and tbh I’ve not rechecked.

OK
Can’t tell from the picture.

It only works on facelift models, with the navigation map shown between the dials - this is the MIB2 model of the MMI system.

You can message the guy direct via the Telegraph App. His details are in this posting here

I have MHI2_ER_AU57x_K2570

Is the upgrade possible? 2015 Facelift A7. MMI 3G+

OK

I have MHI2_ER_AU57x_K2570

Is the upgrade possible? 2015 Facelift A7. MMI 3G+
You need to message the guy direct, the details are in the trailing messages.

if you have the two USB sockets under the armrest, then it should be possible.

You need to message the guy direct, the details are in the trailing messages.

if you have the two USB sockets under the armrest, then it should be possible.

Well ai had mine done today remotely with that Carplay guy in China, from the link in the post above. Very happy with the ease of procedure and also the end result.

My Sept '15 A7 was running MHI2_ER_AU57x_K2570

Aiming to reconnect with him tomorrow and have my Audi Europe Maps Updated also.

From what I have seen today on my brief toying with it, Navigation from Android Auto doesn't display between the dials like my Audi Nav does, nor on the HUD. Hence the reason I'm also updating my Audi Maps to have both options.

Anyone thinking of doing this mod, I'd recommend based on my experience

Just had this done myself today with Carplay_audi dude from China. Really straight forward to do. Basic communication and easy enough to follow with his instructions.

I have only played with it a bit on a quick journey, but having google maps is so much better than the Audi maps... bit of a game changer. Having the satellite overlay on the map looks fantastic too. Shame about the screen between the dials but its really not an issue as the MMI give all the info you need and well laid out. 2021 maps is getting sorted tomorrow with him as it got to past 1AM in his time zone.

Spotify in the car on the MMI is also excellent. car now feels much more up to date!

I have seen in other forums there is a wireless AndroidAuto dongle that people have used successfully without the need for plugging in the USB cable to the phone...probably my next purchase after a bit more research. Has anyone successfully used one for android? Apple wireless seems more supported with newer dongles.

If anyone wants the specific usbtoethernet adapter required just let me know it only cost a tenner I will cover postage.

So selling my 2016 A4 2.0T and taking my wife's 2015 Facelift A7 3.0tdi 272 Black Edition. Now going from virtual cockpit and the latest mod cons in my A4, I really want Android Auto, a wireless version would be nice. As most on this thread have updated or bought an external device, which do you recommend?

To get Android Auto wireless, would AAWireless or Carsifi be the only way? Screen mirroring would also be great, but it only seems to be on Carplay from what I've seen.

Here is the current firmware version.

IMG 20211027 220815

Id be keen for knowing what wireless AA dongles people have had success with. I found one a few months ago recommended in another forum but not sure which one i'd have to do some digging around. The cable isnt too much hassle, but do find sometimes its cutting out for 2 seconds every minute or so with Spotify. Unplugging/replugging sometimes fixes, sometimes not. That's the only issue I have with the wire. I've tested two or three different wires and each has done it at some stage.

Wireless sounds great, however im sure that will come with its own issues every now and again. I'm assuming they're Bluetooth, which would be preferable to WIFI connection like my dashcams. I find jumping in the car, my phone auto connects to WIFI dash cam, therefore internet usage stops working on phone until I turn off WIFI on the phone. Probably need to turn wifi off the dashcam and just use when needed which is almost never.

1st world problems here lol. But yeah, even the cables drop off on mine sometimes in the A4 and that's with everything OEM. AAWireless dongle is a great job apparently, missed one recently for ok money but another has popped up for £260. I don't want it that much.

So you recommend just getting the firmware update? Any way to work YouTube or screen mirroring into that? I know you used to be able to with AA and another app but not sure you can any more.

1st world problems here lol. But yeah, even the cables drop off on mine sometimes in the A4 and that's with everything OEM. AAWireless dongle is a great job apparently, missed one recently for ok money but another has popped up for £260. I don't want it that much.

So you recommend just getting the firmware update? Any way to work YouTube or screen mirroring into that? I know you used to be able to with AA and another app but not sure you can any more.
Ouch! Yeah for that price I'm happy sticking with the cable :D

So the question is, who's the best person to activate Android Auto this for me? Anyone within the UK offering it remotely?

Just stumbled across this post. I thought my car (A7 biTDI 2013 using 3G+) was not new enough for this upgrade, but saw this company today claiming it is... with my system.
Has anyone else seen this and can verify if it's do-able?

Just stumbled across this post. I thought my car (A7 biTDI 2013 using 3G+) was not new enough for this upgrade, but saw this company today claiming it is... with my system.
Has anyone else seen this and can verify if it's do-able?

This is a add on box. It should work with ur car

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Only one way to find out I guess. I'll give it a try. Thanks for that