Android RNS-E

Did you reply to the wrong message? If not apologies if I wasn't clear...

Sound works ok for me through ALL speakers incl sub (I DO have a blue wire), but I am getting a low whine when the engine is running. tbh one the music/radio is on it cant actually be heard, its only when stationary or a lul in audio.

The unit I have is PB78AA3P
Its What we call back in the day alternator interference only fixed by using a inline suppressor.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Did you reply to the wrong message? If not apologies if I wasn't clear...

Sound works ok for me through ALL speakers incl sub (I DO have a blue wire), but I am getting a low whine when the engine is running. tbh one the music/radio is on it cant actually be heard, its only when stationary or a lul in audio.

The unit I have is PB78AA3P

I think that’s just how they are. Mine is the same, I can only here it though If everything is quiet.
Only thing you could try is unplugging it all and then putting it back together making sure everything is in the correct place.
If you buy a noise suppressor/filter it may get rid of that little noise but you will also lose sound quality on volume and bass so I personally would leave it as it is.

Reactions: Simply D
Xtrons tech support have given me some new firmware to install, although I'm not sure how that will resolve the interference :s

Just need to dig out an USB stick to format to FAT32. I can see the lack of SD slots is going to be abit poop.

Xtrons tech support have given me some new firmware to install, although I'm not sure how that will resolve the interference :s

Just need to dig out an USB stick to format to FAT32. I can see the lack of SD slots is going to be abit poop.
You would have thought that the interference would be sorted by xtrons. And lack of SD slots not good having thoses make unit more saleable

Mate I looked that unit up on xtrons website it says in specs it has SD slot?

Mate I looked that unit up on xtrons website it says in specs it has SD slot?

Leon looks like on the image on their website as you say the SD slot is under a little cover looking like a button on the bottom right and USB/Sat nav is under the opposite cover on the left?

I wonder if anyone knows if the build quality is better in the Symphony style units as opposed to the RNS-E style ones?

Leon looks like on the image on their website as you say the SD slot is under a little cover looking like a button on the bottom right and USB/Sat nav is under the opposite cover on the left?
Yeah it says SD then under that rst. Do are you saying there's no SD slot under that cover ?

I wonder if anyone knows if the build quality is better in the Symphony style units as opposed to the RNS-E style ones?
I owned both and according to my experience, the RNS-E style looks better due less shiny plastic. It also fits better in the dash because its facia has longer side borders.

Reactions: maxpayne
Yeah it says SD then under that rst. Do are you saying there's no SD slot under that cover ?

I assume you guys are talkin about the button on the right. To my knowledge it is an actual button, but I will head out to the car later and have another look.

I checked in the spec earlier and I don't remember seeing SD listed :(

Attachments

• pb78aa3p-01[1].jpg
    pb78aa3p-01[1].jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 349
I’ve placed an order on the Xtrons site. The octa-core Android 8 unit should be here Monday. I’ll provide an update once fitted and tuned.

Reactions: maxpayne
I assume you guys are talkin about the button on the right. To my knowledge it is an actual button, but I will head out to the car later and have another look.

I checked in the spec earlier and I don't remember seeing SD listed :(
Hi according to Graham his unit not has SD slot but picture shows this. So we're slightly confused it's advertised in the specs as having SD slot.

Hi according to Graham his unit not has SD slot but picture shows this. So we're slightly confused it's advertised in the specs as having SD slot.

There seems to be a bit of confusion here, my unit which is the RNS-e lookalike has two slots for sat nav and sd card, it was SimplyD who said his unit didn't have SD slots but I believe hat he thinks are buttons at the bottom on both the left and right of his unit are actually covers for these two slots?

Reactions: leonwilliams
HELP! - OK so not sure what I did wrong but I connected a USB stick to my unit with the intention of copying the music on it to the head unit which I think I've managed to work out how to do. The only problem being that when I plugged it back into my laptop it says the USB device I've connected is corrupted and windows doesn't recognise it. I don't want to keep corrupting USB sticks, should I have done the formatting thing before connecting it to the car? It plays the music on it in the car and plugged into my kitchen stereo but won't load up on my computer?

There seems to be a bit of confusion here, my unit which is the RNS-e lookalike has two slots for sat nav and sd card, it was SimplyD who said his unit didn't have SD slots but I believe hat he thinks are buttons at the bottom on both the left and right of his unit are actually covers for these two slots?
Sorry mate we all seems to be confused. Simply d s unit has SD slots then ?

HELP! - OK so not sure what I did wrong but I connected a USB stick to my unit with the intention of copying the music on it to the head unit which I think I've managed to work out how to do. The only problem being that when I plugged it back into my laptop it says the USB device I've connected is corrupted and windows doesn't recognise it. I don't want to keep corrupting USB sticks, should I have done the formatting thing before connecting it to the car? It plays the music on it in the car and plugged into my kitchen stereo but won't load up on my computer?
Yeah I formatted mines first. So when I take it out of car and into pc no issues

Reactions: GrahamS4
yea i found those, but Maplin & Halfrauds seem to want £15-£20 whereas the rest of the world will accept £5-8.

I have a shop near me that stocks em, i was defeated by rush hour traffic today but will try tomorrow.

Im guessing i will need one for each pair of preamps?

Also as a word of warning, these version of the units do not have sd slots, only 3 USB.

ALSO!! i found for my Symphony unit, i needed to use the Android cables with the A4 written on them NOT A3 *sigh*

This was the post I as referring to regarding not having SD slots but I'm pretty sure as stated that they're behind what look like buttons bottom left and right on the unit Simply D has. :thumbs up:

Reactions: leonwilliams
hahaha, funnily enough I was in the process of writing a "think we are confused here" post too, but thought it would be definitive to go out n brave the cold to check the HU.

I can indeed confirm there are SD slots hidden behind the "buttons", including a nifty micro USB slot too

see pics

Attachments

• 20180317_135043.jpg
    20180317_135043.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 328
  • 20180317_135018 - Copy.jpg
    20180317_135018 - Copy.jpg
    656.2 KB · Views: 337
Reactions: leonwilliams and GrahamS4
hahaha, funnily enough I was in the process of writing a "think we are confused here" post too, but thought it would be definitive to go out n brave the cold to check the HU.

I can indeed confirm there are SD slots hidden behind the "buttons", including a nifty micro USB slot too

see pics
Nice one

see pics

Glad you found them, should make life a little easier for you. :thumbs up:

see pics

Is it me or the unit is sticking out at the bottom?

Is it me or the unit is sticking out at the bottom?

As my friends + therapist tell me, I have commitment issues...yes it is sticking out, as I haven't pushed it fully it in yet while I am working out the issues.

I also need to buy some USB extension leads as the ones that come with the unit are literally 0.3m/0.5m long and you cant feed them anywhere sensible with that length. Although with the discovery of the SD slots I'm not sure what use I will have for them anyway, buuuuut I would rather be forward thinking than to have to take it all out again at a later date.

As my friends + therapist tell me, I have commitment issues...yes it is sticking out, as I haven't pushed it fully it in yet while I am working out the issues.

I also need to buy some USB extension leads as the ones that come with the unit are literally 0.3m/0.5m long and you cant feed them anywhere sensible with that length. Although with the discovery of the SD slots I'm not sure what use I will have for them anyway, buuuuut I would rather be forward thinking than to have to take it all out again at a later date.
Will they not fit in the little card holder. I cut a small part of the back out and they sit in there out of the way

Are you talking about the tray on the bottom left (pic)?

If yes, how did you get it out? n secondly, surely that would mean only storage sticks, or similarly shaped things will fit?

Attachments

• 20180317_135029.jpg
    20180317_135029.jpg
    388.8 KB · Views: 309

If yes, how did you get it out? n secondly, surely that would mean only storage sticks, or similarly shaped things will fit?

I drilled a 15 mm hole in the corner of the glovebox and the cables that come with the unit have plenty of length to fit into there.

I’d be interested to see what your unit looks like when it’s fully pushed in as mine is the same model as yours and mine sticks out a mm or 2 and it’s annoying that it doesn’t sit right.

I took my glove box out to put in the gps aerial and just poked out the little pre marked rectangular hole at the back of the glove box and fed the two longer ones through into the glovebox.

Yeah but mines is on the right

Bit of fiddling it does come out I've never used it anyway it's perfect for usb sticks

I took my glove box out to put in the gps aerial and just poked out the little pre marked rectangular hole at the back of the glove box and fed the two longer ones through into the glovebox.
Mate where your head unit fits if you look up into the hole between the centre vents there the perfect place for gps aerial in the centre. Worth a try

I received my Xtrons HU today. On opening the box I was pleasantly surprised with the way the unit looked - from the front it looked better than expected. The black plastic facia is a good match to factory but the silver knurled buttons look and feel very cheap. Size wise, the body of the unit is quite a bit smaller than the RNS-E

The clips, on the side of the HU that hold the unit in place, look pretty flimsy and as @ab1702 mentions above I'm not they would last beyond several removals (to be fair today is the first time I've removed my RNSE). I tried my stereo removal tools in the slots but the pins didn't engage the lock/clip, there was too much space - this would be a concern once the unit was pushed into place.

Wiring the unit up was straight forward - you can't go wrong but the RCA cables feel a little loose.

Fitting into the car - once I'd connected the aerial, sat-nav and quad-lock I needed to switch the car to ACC before it the unit would boot. This makes sense for it's first start but unlike my RNSE, with the car switched off I couldn't get the Xtrons to switch on (always needed to be in ACC) which is a bit annoying. The HU did boot up very quick, faster than the RNSE.

Tuning a radio station, the sound was sharp and as expected the Bose worked fine but there was hiss which is quite prominent. I unattached and reattached all RCA plugs and the quad lock but there was no change (the blue wire was correctly connected too). On starting the car the sound was even worse, almost like there was a microphone under the bonnet playing engine noise into the cabin. Turning the HU off (while the car was running) gives a loud 'pop' though the speakers followed by a deep beating sound working in unison with a high-pitched buzz. As I drive mostly with the radio off this noise won't work with me. I unplugged the HU and silence...

There had been many previous posts about fitment which was my main concern prior to purchasing. So when pushing the unit 'home' into the cavity and seeing how much play there was I was quite a disappointment (I'm not sure why when I was expecting it). I'd fitted the rubber from the RNSE to the top and sides but it wasn't secure. The HU did however sit back, so it wasn't sticking out at the front - it just wasn't secure!

I ran a scan and 2 new codes were detected - 02503 Phone output wire to Radio, 01300 Control Module for Navigation. I cleared the codes but the errors returned. I appreciate I still have the factory items fitted but I not keen on keeping error codes.

I spent more time tuning the unit but lost interest to be honest. I'm not sure if I want to persist with getting it 'perfect' - it should work OOTB. I know I'm being fussy and for £269 (inc discount) I shouldn't really complain but it seems to be the most common feedback hasn't been listened too. For now, I've re-fitted my RNSE; I may give it another go in the weekend. Oh, and the fault codes have gone...

-If you have BOSE, just don't connect the wires #3 with #17 (AMP CON). When everything connected right, all the speakers work out of the box. Nothing else is needed.

- I like the dual screen feature. Now, I can run a NAVI app and a speed camera notification app on the same screen ;)

Hi @dp_motley - above you mention that for BOSE not to connect #3 to #17 - for BOSE shouldn’t they be connected? Just wondering if this is part of my sound issue.

How did you get split screen?

I moved the little lugs at the top, rear of the unit back as you suggested and put the RNSE rubber across the to and down the sides, but when you push your unit home is it as snug as the factory unit (concert/rnse)?

Did you need noise suppressors?

Cheers
Sam

Hi @dp_motley - above you mention that for BOSE not to connect #3 to #17 - for BOSE shouldn’t they be connected? Just wondering if this is part of my sound issue.

How did you get split screen?

I moved the little lugs at the top, rear of the unit back as you suggested and put the RNSE rubber across the to and down the sides, but when you push your unit home is it as snug as the factory unit (concert/rnse)?

Did you need noise suppressors?

Cheers
Sam

When you’ve got Bose you have to connect all 4 rca cables and the blue ‘amp con’ cable otherwise the bose will not work anywhere near as good as it should.
If you take the rca cables apart and then just squeeze the ends of each cable when you connect them back together they will be more of a snug fit.

I also don’t know how to get the split screen to work so would be interested in knowing this.

Yeah, I pinched the end of the RCA to make a snug fit. Blue wire was all good. I’ll give it another for this weekend - it would be a shame to resort to noise suppressors but I may need to. It’s then the fit I’ll need to get sorted. @ab1702 have you put your side brackets back on?

I also don’t know how to get the split screen to work so would be interested in knowing this.
Tap an "all-open-windows" icon in the top bar. Choose one window and drag it to the left hand side of the screen. It opens on the left half of the screen. Then choose the second window and tap it (or its top, I don't remember exactly) and it will open and fill the right part of the screen. There are plenty of videos on youtube.

Reactions: ab1702 and samuelh_888
Yeah, I pinched the end of the RCA to make a snug fit. Blue wire was all good. I’ll give it another for this weekend - it would be a shame to resort to noise suppressors but I may need to. It’s then the fit I’ll need to get sorted. @ab1702 have you put your side brackets back on?

The only thing with noise suppressors is they take away from your sound quality so the volume will not be quite as good an neither will the bass.
No I haven’t put the sides back on as I had one of these units before that I couldn’t get back out of the dash so I’ll be leaving them off. It doesn’t effect it at all as it doesn’t move around in the dash or anything it just gives me peace of mind knowing I can definately get it back out when I need to.
The problem I have with the unit slightly sticking out i think I s to do with its construction somehow. I think it is to do with the metal sliders on the side of the unit at the back not being positioned properly but I haven’t had time to properly have a look at it and try and sort it out yet.

Reactions: samuelh_888
Is this a pot luck thing as although I don't have a Bose sound system I haven't had any trouble with mine, I plugged it in everything worked straight off, all the speakers and good sound.

Is this a pot luck thing as although I don't have a Bose sound system I haven't had any trouble with mine, I plugged it in everything worked straight off, all the speakers and good sound.

Nah it’s a Bose thing or sometimes installation error.
I have a little alternator whine on mine with Bose but only when everything is silent, as soon as I put something on the sound is quality and the whine disappears so it’s something that doesn’t bother me at all.

Ok so I've managed to get music into the file labelled Music found in file browser from a USB stick and I've also loaded music onto an SD card, I can select each song individually and play it but does anyone know how you just get them to play in succession please?