Android RNS-E

ello....has anyone noticed their battery being sucked since having the unit installed, as in like there is a slow drain happening while the car is parked up etc.

I thought I had noticed it turning over abit slower after leaving it parked for a couple days, but yesterday after it had been parked for nearly a week, it barely turned over and JUST about started.

Even after driving for abit, and stopping, she was still abit slow to start again, so I'm not sure whether the alternator/battery are just on its way out, or if the head unit is not playing nice :s
Hi there is as issue with the units draining battery. It's to do with the way it's wired up. Then unit hasn't shut down properly you have to alter the power wire. If you Google it there are solutions avaible my unit is wired on ignition so it shuts down correctly. Hope this helps.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

ahhh...thanks @leonwilliams, i did have a fiddle on install as i noticed it was not shutting down fully, but the weather drove me indoors

I will have a search online in abit. I am suspicious of earthing for the battery/alternator as I get a engine whine through the speakers, I tried some isolators but there wasnt any improvement, but I have some more coming in the post to try.

ello....has anyone noticed their battery being sucked since having the unit installed, as in like there is a slow drain happening while the car is parked up etc.

I thought I had noticed it turning over abit slower after leaving it parked for a couple days, but yesterday after it had been parked for nearly a week, it barely turned over and JUST about started.

Even after driving for abit, and stopping, she was still abit slow to start again, so I'm not sure whether the alternator/battery are just on its way out, or if the head unit is not playing nice :s

does your unit seem to stay on for ages? eg. lets say you were listening to the radio then lock the car up, next day when you start it again does it instantly go to the radio or does it boot up from scratch?

if it goes straight to the radio, the unit is going into standby rather than shutting off.

go to settings, CAR, then there should be an option for time after ACC or something similar. set it to 1 hour or 30 mins or whatever.
by default, the xtrons units wont switch off by themselves, theyll just stay in standby.

ahhh...thanks @leonwilliams, i did have a fiddle on install as i noticed it was not shutting down fully, but the weather drove me indoors

I will have a search online in abit. I am suspicious of earthing for the battery/alternator as I get a engine whine through the speakers, I tried some isolators but there wasnt any improvement, but I have some more coming in the post to try.
I had to use a suppressor for mines works perfect no whine at all

well today was spent getting the car repeatedly jump started n finally running down to EuroCarParts for a new battery.

not sure if it was a result of the HU antics or general fatigue, but the battery was shot n no longer holding sufficient charge to start the car anymore :(

swapped it over n things seem ok thus far, will check the voltage remaining in the morning.

The HU does seem like its in standby, as it instantly resumes from last state when I switch on. I think I have too many LIVE feeds when the ignition is off on the original Audi harness, I need to verify what is needed/should be there in a wiring diagram. The ACC wire isnt used as it seems to be controlled via the canbus, but I will check out that setting @samisnake

The HU does seem like its in standby, as it instantly resumes from last state when I switch on. I think I have too many LIVE feeds when the ignition is off on the original Audi harness, I need to verify what is needed/should be there in a wiring diagram. The ACC wire isnt used as it seems to be controlled via the canbus, but I will check out that setting @samisnake

the setting will fully shut down the unit after the specified time you set.
have mine set to 1 hour. after that hour, when i turn the key, the headunit starts from cold; with the 'media navigation (or whatever)' and the audi ring boot logos, then 'android is starting', then the HU starts. takes about 15-20 secs before anything can be used.

how it was BEFORE i changed that setting is exactly how you describe.
the canbus adapter is providing the ignition live to the unit. If it wasnt, youd need to add an ignition switched live to the HU loom, as this guy did (notice his wiring adapter is basic, without a canbus interface).

Reactions: Simply D
Does anyone have an issue with the headunit buttons' lights staying on even after pulling out the key?

My Xtrons worked perfectly until the canbus decided to give up, so they sent me another canbus (BIG BIG props to xtrons btw, they replaced it in 3days!!) and it all works well except the lights are now always on and I need to pull out the stereo and unplug it ALL the times (!) to avoid draining the battery. This wasnt happening before and wiring is identical as when I first installed it.

what is it that they replaced? just the plastic unit or the whole loom?

Sounds like the ILL (illumination) wire is connected to a constant feed

what is it that they replaced? just the plastic unit or the whole loom?
Just the canbus decoder (the plastic box so to speak).
The ILL cable is not connected to anything right now, but the lights are always on.
xtrons support advised I connect the ILL cable to a source that powers when lights are on, but this ILL cable was not connected to anything before and yet it all worked as it should have :/

Hmmm sounds like another fruity canbus box possibly.

Do they think by connecting the ILL wire, it will overide the command the unit is receiving from this unknown source?

Anyone figured out how to reduce the music/radio minimum volume while keeping top end?

So quick question, among the 730+ comments so far.....

Who's had a stress free install of one of these units in a non Bose car?

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

I have what's the unit you got. I've got pumpkin with reverse camera

Dr_Rick, I'm not sure anyone's had an truly easy time of it.

I have Bose and my install was certainly not stress free, way more work than I was expecting and from what I've heard the non-Bose element certainly adds another headache to the equation. I'd still say it's worth it though in the end with what it offers over the competition but only if you're happy investing a fair amount of time and getting all of the extra bits to get it working how you want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dunno what the previous units were like, but the current xtrons unit they sell is literally plug and play with a non-bose, rear speakers and factory sub system.

Reactions: robbie_c
Yup can vouch for that easy to fit. I must admit after reading through all this thread and ppl having issues with earlier models and non boss I thought was going to be a pain.

Then fitted it, connected up the rca plugs and amp remote lead.. All working perfectly !

Only small gripe I have with the xtrons is not being able to share Internet from my phone via Bluetooth . Hate using WiFi tethering ,drains battery and having to enable it every time I get in the car. Maybe it's just my phone? Anyone else doing it this way?

Yup can vouch for that easy to fit. I must admit after reading through all this thread and ppl having issues with earlier models and non boss I thought was going to be a pain.

Then fitted it, connected up the rca plugs and amp remote lead.. All working perfectly !

Only small gripe I have with the xtrons is not being able to share Internet from my phone via Bluetooth . Hate using WiFi tethering ,drains battery and having to enable it every time I get in the car. Maybe it's just my phone? Anyone else doing it this way?
I'm doing it. I installed MicroDroid app to my phone and set it up to turn on Hotspot as soon as BT connection is established and turn off Hotspot when the BT is disconnected. It works like charm, no need to enable it every time you get in the car.

Reactions: robbie_c and TheTomCutler
I'm doing it. I installed MicroDroid app to my phone and set it up to turn on Hotspot as soon as BT connection is established and turn off Hotspot when the BT is disconnected. It works like charm, no need to enable it every time you get in the car.
Pity though it can't share tinternet via bt. I will have to check that app out.

The app is great, trust me. It's much better than Tasker and easy and intuitive to set up.

Bit the bullet and ordered an Xtrons unit today. Will report back when I have it. I have an 2005 A3 without Bose.

weird issue with mine.
the backlight for the buttons no longer work. the screen dims when the headlights come on, so dont think its a canbus box issue. have emailed xtrons, lets see how they respond

One thing I can't work out is how to change the volume when a call comes through. It's like full volume ring even when main volume is only on 3-4 !??

One thing I can't work out is how to change the volume when a call comes through. It's like full volume ring even when main volume is only on 3-4 !??

have you tried adjusting it while a call is active?

I think there was some "call" settings in the factory options but i would try the above first

Another FULL Bose gripe is I think there is some sort of dynamic amplification at play here as the volume increases/decreases depending on cabin noise which is annoying as sometimes i just want it low dammit and as @Bigbang points out low isnt actually that low!

Still an improvement on what I had though, but yes you need a couple weekends or solid couple days to work out all the kinks

Reactions: robbie_c
Bit the bullet and ordered an Xtrons unit today. Will report back when I have it. I have an 2005 A3 without Bose.

Picked up the unit today and hooked it up. Sadly the primary use case for me, playing music via Bluetooth wasn’t that great. The sound (and after playing with the equaliser) was poor compared to the Bluetooth FM transmitter I have today! Additionally there was occasionally crackling noise in the background.

Also I noticed that the screen viewing angle and contrast was poor too. All in all not a great experience.

The unit is going back sadly.

Oh dear you gonna try another xtrons or a different model
Picked up the unit today and hooked it up. Sadly the primary use case for me, playing music via Bluetooth wasn’t that great. The sound (and after playing with the equaliser) was poor compared to the Bluetooth FM transmitter I have today! Additionally there was occasionally crackling noise in the background.

Also I noticed that the screen viewing angle and contrast was poor too. All in all not a great experience.

Don’t think I’ll try another Xtrons unit. Probably can my whole double DIN conversion project for now unless one of the newer CarPlay units catches my fancy

Should also mention that it was a royal PITA to remove it. Lesson, never lock the unit in if there’s a chance you’ll take it out again!

Reactions: leonwilliams
Shame that I opted for pumpkin never looked back to be honest. Even though some say there all the same inside I paid bit more for mines.
Don’t think I’ll try another Xtrons unit. Probably can my whole double DIN conversion project for now unless one of the newer CarPlay units catches my fancy

Which unit did you buy then? I got the latest android 8 one and can't say I've had any of those issues?

I bought this one https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/202238920635

Ahh macro droid just installed, still yet to try but setup a macro for Hotspot, so should save some bother :thumbs up:

I decided the S4 wasn't for me so I pulled the Xtrons Android unit I'd bought literally a few weeks ago so if anyone wants it then £165 inc. p&p and it's theirs, you'll just need to delete my dodgy 70's - 00's music that I forgot to take off before I took it out. Only thing missing is the GPS aerial which I'd stuck to the underside of the dash. There is a double fakra adaptor lead for the Audi aerial included which I'd had to buy.View attachment 151772

I know I'm digging this out from a little while ago, but still have it?

fitted my unit today.
overall went well. wouldn't say ive managed to fit it anywhere as well as dp_motley but im happy with it.

bought a carplay dongle to go alongside the unit, as the car will be shared with an iphone user. added a video of that. the usb port for the phone is a flush mount socket fitted into the ashtray. never use the ashtray so seemed perfect.
siri works, using voice for messaging and dialling works. apple maps sucks but ill personally be using waze. for iphone users its worth the £35 it cost.

changed the home launcher to car launcher ag.
mounted the gps aerial in the place mentioned by leonwilliams; between the airvents theres flat plastic the antenna can stick to, as well as space to shove the majority of the antenna wiring.

boot handle camera to go in next, have the video cable for it dangling in the footwell (didnt want to take the radio out again) waiting for another free day.
all is well so far.

Looks awesome!
Have you managed to fit the boot handle camera properly?

The wife wants to change her standard unit for one of these, but unsure what model to go for.
Carplay would be one of the things that would get used alot...what module did you use?

The requirements are:
DAB
Reverse camera
Car play

not really fussed with diagnostics, wifi etc....
Is it worth buying the cheaper xtrons model with built in DAB
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AUDI-A3-...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

or pay the extra for the newer model from Xtrons and purchase the DAB module separately?

also with the DAB, can I use an FM/DAB splitter or would this not work? Car doesn't have a BOSE system.
I find the antennas are a bit of an eyesore....

Ordered an Xtrons unit on Sunday evening, delivered by Tueaday! Will be attenpting to fit it this weekend if I eventually get the correct keys to remove the head unit. Any tips on getting the current one out?

Looks awesome!

The wife wants to change her standard unit for one of these, but unsure what model to go for.
Carplay would be one of the things that would get used alot...what module did you use?

The requirements are:
DAB
Reverse camera
Car play

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AUDI-A3-S3-RS3-Car-GPS-Navigation-CD-DVD-Player-Stereo-DAB-Digital-Radio-USB-SD/352106841114?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

or pay the extra for the newer model from Xtrons and purchase the DAB module separately?

also with the DAB, can I use an FM/DAB splitter or would this not work? Car doesn't have a BOSE system.

Pay the extra and get android 8 model.

With regards to the dab you’ll need a proper antenna. The fm/dab splitters don’t work as we have amplified antennas and those splitters only work on passive antennas.
The stick on antennas for the windscreen do work but they regularly drop signal so they aren’t reliable. You’d want to fit an external antenna or shark fin that can receive dab.

There is a thread in the 8p section where it has been mentioned about changing the antenna amplifier for one from a different model of car that can also receive dab so in this case you would be able to carry on using the factory antenna in the rear screen. Nobody as of yet has tried this method though.

Reactions: vRshafz
Looks awesome!

The requirements are:
DAB
Reverse camera
Car play

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AUDI-A3-S3-RS3-Car-GPS-Navigation-CD-DVD-Player-Stereo-DAB-Digital-Radio-USB-SD/352106841114?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

yeah fitted the boot handle camera, pics are here
https://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threa...r-a3-8p-this-week.335847/page-11#post-3243761

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Fac...135.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.3d9b4c4dK2JxKE
i bought this camera but for £16, can get them for around that price from other sellers so shop around. the size you are after is 110x31mm. as long as the dimensions are the same, itll fit.

the carplay dongle is a little tricker.
there are 2 main types of dongle; one which uses the zlink app, and one which uses the autoplay app.
the zlink model is the one to go for, the autoplay one is not updated as much (in fact it can be hard to actually find the apk for it), as well as differences eg. the zlink version works better with steering wheel controls supposedly. i went with the zlink version, branded as a joying. essentially a few companies make/sell either of the two versions, and it can be tricky knowing which is which unless you find out which app they use.

to make things even more tricky, the original zlink version dongle design was changed to look identical to the autoplay version.
the joying one i bought was the original, the newer style one is now listed in its place. heres the link
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/JOY...803.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.3d9b4c4dK2JxKE

it says it only works with joying units, which is BS as the app it uses is zjinnova's zlink app not their own http://zjinnova.com/ and for some reason joying like to make out as though things only work on their units eg. my joying branded dongle was said to only run on their headunit running android 5+ yet ive used it on a newsmy 4.4.2 unit and the xtrons. only mentioning it as a precaution as with anything from china ymmv

in summary though, try and go with a zlink version regardless of brand. also if you do order either item, order from china as uk sellers scalp you on price. an idential camera from the uk is 35 to 65 quid, the dongle is 50+ (and ive only seen sellers of the autoplay version in the uk)

Does anybody have a solution for the issue with loud buzzing coming through the speakers only when the headlights are on?

Ive tried a ground loop isolator (which solved the alternator noise) and checked the ground point for head-unit is good. It's a BOSE system. Ive noticed that the steering wheel controls don't work and I get no DIS info from the head-unit, could it be a dodgy CANBUS?

Ive read on other forums that it could be a ground for the headlights but I wouldn't know how to check this or if that even applies to an A4 B7?

loud buzzing ... only when the headlights are on

That's a new one for me I'm afraid, can you isolate the issue? You could go through some basic fault finding if you have time - Does it happen only on dipped beam, does it do it when all lights off and you flash main beam, with/without side lights, DRL etc, try all the combos. If it's only only one type of light can you remove one of the bulbs to see if it's a particular fitting? Might help narrow it down ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk