Annoying stone chips

zseth

Reaction score
hey all

So after 5 months and 3800 miles in my s5 sportback

I gave the car a good wash today and as i went over it with a drying towel i began to notice the number of stone chips on the front end

I have done 3 motorway journeys in the car and can not believe the amount of chipping that has occured on the bumper and bonnet

Very annoyed to say the least and wander if the design has anything to do with it

Rant over

What colour is it?

I’ve got Daytona Grey A5 SB with 13,000 miles and just one stone chip on a wing mirror with a mix of country and motorway driving

You don’t tailgate do you? :whistle2:

No tailgating lol

Black car, had a 58 plate black e92 bmw before this which had 86k miles on it, had nowhere near as many stome chips

I used to have a black VW Golf. Used to get stone chips sat on the drive :haha:

Sometimes certain colours are “soft” and more prone to chips - black can be especially if it is flat rather than metallic

I have metallic black and it chips if you look at it, very soft paint, never had a car with such poor paint before

I decided to get a paint protection film to the from end of my S5, not cheap, but I don't like dealing with stone chips.. plus I'm not on a pcp deal, I'll be keeping this one for a while.

I used to have a black VW Golf. Used to get stone chips sat on the drive :haha:

Sometimes certain colours are “soft” and more prone to chips - black can be especially if it is flat rather than metallic
lol I was about to same something along the same lines, I sold the black S3 early for this reason...black shows everything even if you haven't moved it! Loving the white, so easy to look after.

I had this issue with my Panther Black Fiesta ST, plagued with stone chips... before it went I went over with a Paint Touch Up Kit, and went over with some hard compound polishing working back up to soft. Just to level the area down a little so it blended nicely.
What colour is it?

I’ve got Daytona Grey A5 SB with 13,000 miles and just one stone chip on a wing mirror with a mix of country and motorway driving

You don’t tailgate do you? :whistle2:

Lol asking an Audi Driver if they Tailgate :D (Joking of course... don't be that stereotype)

I had to get the bonnet on my S5 fully resprayed when the car was a week old.
Paint chips and scratches and a dent.......

Since then the rear quarter has been resprayed.
The top,of the rear passenger door has been resprayed.
And I have touched up a paint chip that has since appeared on the bonnet again.

Personally I feel that the paint quality isn’t the best.

It’s a MY18 Ibis White.

Mines the non metallic mythos black i believe
Brilliant black is the flat/non metallic black correct name.
I have it and yes, also a large stone chip on the bonnet edge near the wing after 2500 miles, i didnt even hear it happen. Luckily a black marker pen hides it.
There will be a lot more before it goes back, just hope I don't get billed for them.

Mines the non metallic mythos black i believe

Brilliant black is the flat/non metallic black correct name.
I have it and yes, also a large stone chip on the bonnet edge near the wing after 2500 miles, i didnt even hear it happen. Luckily a black marker pen hides it.
There will be a lot more before it goes back, just hope I don't get billed for them.

With brilliant black Poorboys black hole is your friend! My S3 before and after use (before is left side!):

Gutted - only had my car 2 weeks and I’ve just found a nice chip about 2mm wide on the front centre of the bonnet - Mythos Black! Have ordered a touch up pen (after ****ing it up with a black chipstick this afternoon) and will fill it in then use some Langka paint chip repair (used it before with relatively good success) to level it off before some Poorboys Blackhole and Nuttys Paste Wax over the Easter weekend. As that’ll be the first proper wash I’ll no doubt find loads of other imperfections and spend my week off trying to bring it back to decent condition.

I’ve got a couple of bottles of Poorboys SSR too (and a DA) so might give them a go before the Blackhole as it’ll last longer if I actually remove and swirls and marks them rather than just fill them!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I’ve got a couple of bottles of Poorboys SSR too (and a DA) so might give them a go before the Blackhole as it’ll last longer if I actually remove and swirls and marks them rather than just fill them!

Ohhh the joys of black cars!

Which SSR are you using mate 1,2,2.5 or 3? I looked at them when I had the black S3 but ended up using the Meguiar's Ultimate compound and the Poorboys Blackhole in the end...got a bit worried after seeing the "this formula has a lot of muscle and must be used with care!" warning :sadlike:

This was April last year after a long winter, the car was 2 years old:
http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/thread...to-your-8v-today.236518/page-143#post-2978011

Haven’t checked, but pretty sure I’ve got 2.5 and 1! Along with various other Meguires stuff (waxes mainly) that I’ve never used properly, and some collinite 845.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions: S32B