Annoying wiper click at top.. driving me insane!

Adamdavid899

Reaction score
How do guys, I've had a bit of a search on this and now the weather is getting poor I'm using my wipers a lot more and hence it is annoying me a lot more.

Basically when my wipers get to the end of their travel at the top of the windscreen and start to go back down, they make this awful, extremely annoying clicking sound..

I've tried three sets of different blades now and also tried pinching the end of the wiper arms more closed to rule out any play there..

Is there anybody that has experience with this issue.. or is it just me and me only . Common problem? Etc what could be causing this.

Is it the mechanism that's fubar or arms ?

Many thanks

Sent from my G8141 using Tapatalk

Not a problem seen or heard before. I would try two new complete arms next and if that doesn’t cure the noise, the wiper motor is going to need looking at.

How are they set, just before they begin to return are they hitting the edge of the screen ? Maybe try removing them with a puller and set them down slightly. I had a similar problem with mine and that was the problem.

If I was to guess, I’d say your wiper mechanism is broken in one of the pivot joints.

If you can remove your wipers and the plastic panel then close the bonnet and observe

Thanks for the replies.. I had the scuttle panel removed but I cant see or feel anything bad really.. I've tried to post a video of the issue I'm having but I think I'll have to put it on YouTube or something and share the link as it's not letting me do it from my phone on here . The wiper mechanism all looks and feels fine with no play . I'd like to try and fix it rather than put a new mech on it but they aren't too expensive worst case

Thanks for the replies.. I had the scuttle panel removed but I cant see or feel anything bad really.. I've tried to post a video of the issue I'm having but I think I'll have to put it on YouTube or something and share the link as it's not letting me do it from my phone on here . The wiper mechanism all looks and feels fine with no play . I'd like to try and fix it rather than put a new mech on it but they aren't too expensive worst case

If it does end up being the mechanism just buy a second hand one to swap over. Had one snap on a Golf MK5.

Did you change your wipers recently? Mine knocks the top of the windscreen surround after I swapped out for some Bosch Aerotwin. Its now worn the metal away after I ignored it. Anyway I dremelled the plastic clip at the end and it is now clear.

Wiperfoul

If you remove the wiper arms completely and switch on the wiper motor that should rule out the motor if it’s quiet.

Did you change your wipers recently? Mine knocks the top of the windscreen surround after I swapped out for some Bosch Aerotwin. Its now worn the metal away after I ignored it. Anyway I dremelled the plastic clip at the end and it is now clear.

View attachment 191468

Have you fitted the correct length Bosch ones?
I’ve never had any issues with the Bosch blades, in fact I find them better than the OEM SWF ones.
If yours are rubbing up there I’d be inclined to think they are too long.....

It doesn't hit the top of the windscreen no, and thanks for all the suggestions but now, I've got a major issue.

My oil pump has just given up completely sounds like I've stripped the teeth off the drive chain or snapped the drive chain but I have zero pressure on the gauge. Shut it off immediately but damage is probably done.

New engine or new car time. ( If the missus doesn't wring my neck out first )

It doesn't hit the top of the windscreen no, and thanks for all the suggestions but now, I've got a major issue.

My oil pump has just given up completely sounds like I've stripped the teeth off the drive chain or snapped the drive chain but I have zero pressure on the gauge. Shut it off immediately but damage is probably done.

Oh no.
Hope it isn’t as bad as you feared.......

Oh no.
Hope it isn’t as bad as you feared.......
Well not to blow my own trombone but I have decent mechanical knowledge.

She's toast haha. Going to take sump off it this weekend and sift my way through the pan of bits and bobs I have left over, pull off a cap or two and see how bad the crank is!

The wiper motor can wait for now lol.

Well not to blow my own trombone but I have decent mechanical knowledge.

She's toast haha. Going to take sump off it this weekend and sift my way through the pan of bits and bobs I have left over, pull off a cap or two and see how bad the crank is!

The wiper motor can wait for now lol.

How old is your car? It’s a known problem on early facelift models if its a diesel.
If you shut it off straight away the damage might not be as bad as you think.
I’m sure I read on here once of someone having the same thing and they somehow got away with no engine or turbo damage.

How old is your car? It’s a known problem on early facelift models if its a diesel.
I’m sure I read on here once of someone having the same thing and they somehow got away with no engine or turbo damage.
It's a 2.0 tfsi BWA A3 8p.

115k miles.. I've always changed oil and filters every 3k and I have an oil pressure gauge it literally just shot to zero after a second to third change and then oil pressure warning on the cluster and I shut it off ..

I actually have two gauges, one manual one in the engine bay and a digital one inside the car.

Both are matched so I know the Digi one is fine .

It sounded like an absolute bag of bolts so something on the oil pump drive has 100 percent seized and broken off ..

I could throw a new pump on it but the engine might be shot. I need to do some further investigation first before I go buying parts. A new engine is at least 800-1200 on eBay

Also I've already heard about the hex key drive mechanism on the diesels but mines a balance shaft cog and chain setup.. from what I remember theres three cogs on mine.. the crank, the balance shafts and the oil pump on one chain

Wise choice on having the oil pressure gauges - now hopefully you have some luck on your side